Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Naish Pivot 2016 - take 2

Created by Macster > 9 months ago, 21 Jul 2015
WA Surf Mandurah
WA, 13 posts
7 Aug 2015 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

Not sure where you're getting your prices PaulyOS but a 12m has gone up by about $190, not $700+. Unless you're comparing second hand / superseded to new kites.

Drew

skywalker3d
VIC, 228 posts
7 Aug 2015 2:18PM
Thumbs Up

Its the ATB not the base.

PaulyOS
198 posts
7 Aug 2015 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WA Surf Mandurah said..
Not sure where you're getting your prices PaulyOS but a 12m has gone up by about $190, not $700+. Unless you're comparing second hand / superseded to new kites.

Drew

Apologies, a bit of an over exageration just want to know the differences between the two years

ste
WA, 438 posts
7 Aug 2015 2:07PM
Thumbs Up

I would bet really not much change at all! Great kite.

skywalker3d
VIC, 228 posts
7 Aug 2015 4:16PM
Thumbs Up

Not a lot. Color change, bar change, slightly more top end and less backstall so a little softer overall.
Pretty hard to pick the difference really.

skywalker3d
VIC, 228 posts
7 Aug 2015 4:18PM
Thumbs Up

ooops am i aloud to post Macster??? sorry mate

wave6ft
QLD, 133 posts
7 Aug 2015 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

wave6ft
QLD, 133 posts
7 Aug 2015 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

New bar

wave6ft
QLD, 133 posts
8 Aug 2015 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

Why red thumbs retail on 2016 naish bar is 750 not 550 i was quoted

wave6ft
QLD, 133 posts
12 Aug 2015 10:58PM
Thumbs Up

One thing though i seem to struggle trying to adjust the back lines at the bar i pull the plastic insert out etc and have had to get a stick at the beach to push through the hole to get line out to adjust must be an easy way to do it

windreams
QLD, 258 posts
17 Jan 2016 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

Am I dreaming… I had the opportunity to fly a few different kites recently with one of them being a 2016 Naish 8mt Pivot. The others were a 2014 Airush 9mt Varial X a 2013 Crazyfly 9mt Sculp and a 2016 F-One 9mt Bandit and I felt the 8mt Pivot had way more power then the bigger 9mt kites. Would you agree or is my mind playing tricks on me

edugp
VIC, 33 posts
18 Jan 2016 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

agreed... it is very powerful for it's size

xray
23 posts
19 Jan 2016 6:43AM
Thumbs Up

The 2015 8m already has me riding on my TT when others still are on 11 or 12m kite, decent sized jumps as well.

thorn
WA, 172 posts
24 Jan 2016 7:37AM
Thumbs Up

Pivot and an Ozone bar......perfect. Great all round kite and a bar with below bar swivel and above bar depower. The kites have not changed at all other than the colour. I have just added the 14m to my quiver of 7, 9 and 11m and am very content

JacobMatan
WA, 431 posts
24 Jan 2016 1:21PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ That would be such an epic quiver, I currently just have the 10m and love it!! I would like to replace the rest of my sizes with pivots though, please post your thoughts on the 14 as I am very interested in this as a light wind option, the low end on the 10 is that good I am wondering if the 14 is going to be a ripper for light wind ( or mega han)g time in about 18 knots

castill0jf
VIC, 559 posts
24 Jan 2016 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

try before you buy - i had the 12 pivot 2015 - sold it is big and slow . very grunt and not for my style.

thorn
WA, 172 posts
25 Jan 2016 8:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
castill0jf said..
try before you buy - i had the 12 pivot 2015 - sold it is big and slow . very grunt and not for my style.

Good advice. I too found the 12m too slow so swapped it for the 11m which is much faster for everyday use. The 11m and 9m kites are my go-to kites. However there are days when the wind is low and you still want to kite. On these days I am willing to sacrifice speed for a otherwise boring day of no kiting. On a big twin tip I can kite in 10kts, 13kts and I'm going well and jumping, not sure of the top end as I change to a smaller kite then. I've owned the 17m Zephyr (Pivot more powerful and faster) and 15m Naish Fly (Fly more powerful but way too slow). So for me the Pivot is a great balance. Obviously there are lots of other kites I haven't tried but the Pivot is a great all rounder for me.

JacobMatan
WA, 431 posts
25 Jan 2016 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Wow so the pivot 14 has more power than the zephyr, and faster that is very interesting

Weta
WA, 880 posts
25 Jan 2016 1:11PM
Thumbs Up

I bought the 2016 Pivots with the ATB bar, my local dealer Kite Addiction fitted a ATB swivel at their cost in their own time on a busy Saturday morning.

I am happy as with the bar and kite.................the kite has taken a little getting used to after riding Park's since their inception. The Pivots are definitely a good kite, IMHO :)

yendor
NSW, 259 posts
25 Jan 2016 6:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Weta said..
I bought the 2016 Pivots with the ATB bar, my local dealer Kite Addiction fitted a ATB swivel at their cost in their own time on a busy Saturday morning.

I am happy as with the bar and kite.................the kite has taken a little getting used to after riding Park's since their inception. The Pivots are definitely a good kite, IMHO :)

Hey Weta,
I have parks and love them in the surf.
Are the pivots any better?
Be good to hear from someone that's
gone from parks to pivots.

Weta
WA, 880 posts
25 Jan 2016 5:26PM
Thumbs Up

Yendor my last parks were 2014 great kites. The Pivots r different to fly i dont find them as responsive or turn as quick but they definitely drift better and have a better bottom end. Even though they r meant to have less power in turns i've found they pull me off the board riding strapless more then the parks did. Having said that we have had a lot gustier conditions here in wa this season. They are both good kites imo

Sandfoot
VIC, 496 posts
25 Jan 2016 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

Hi yendor I went from parks to pivots and didn't like the pivot at all, 2 different kites all together.
Back to parks.

What the guys have commented in this thread was pretty much spot on.
I would definitely test ride them for sure.

yendor
NSW, 259 posts
26 Jan 2016 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Guys.
will stick with the park a while longer.

riddim1
QLD, 133 posts
26 Jan 2016 8:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

yendor said..

Weta said..

Hey Weta,
I have parks and love them in the surf.
Are the pivots any better?
Be good to hear from someone that's
gone from parks to pivots.

Select to expand quote

I recently switched from Parks to Pivots. I rode Parks since the first gen and loved them. Over time, I guess my age, past injuries and my plateauing freestyle abilities made me start exploring the waves a lot more. I always found the Parks were a little slow around the wind window which affect my turns on a wave.... This was certainly the case in sizes 10m and up at least. I stuck with the Parks for so long as the advantages in freestyle far out weighed the disadvantages with wave riding. I ride now 90% surf. 10% freestyle. After my first ride of an 11m 2016 Pivot I immediately realised the progress this kite could offer me in the surf. It doesn't nesessarily turn quicker size for size with a Park, I found it spins or 'Pivots' on its wing tip quicker and therefore is heading in the desired direction faster which is very important for bottom/top turns on a wave. Unlike some others experiences above, I did find there was less pull through my harness on the turns which help me concentrate on the turn and the lip instead of where my kite was pulling me. I still ride the Pivots in the flat water and still unhook. One can still load and pop, however the slack line is almost non existent. This freestyle disadvantage was a consideration but did not out weigh the advantages in the waves. Just one final comment on power.... I am 85kgs and rode the 11/8m Park combo. I switched down to the 10/7m Pivots as I feel they get me out in the same local conditions in SE QLD.... Very glad I made this decision in the end.

Cheers.

Sorrento1254
QLD, 46 posts
30 Jan 2016 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

I was the first to buy the 14m Pivot in Brisbane in 2015 and use it very frequently, as my everyday kite.
I changed the line setting to light bar pressure at the tips and love flying it in 10 -17 tops which fits in well with our general kiting conditions here.
Jumps very well and easy to fly, a good all rounder.
Have the 2015, 8 metre which is a true Weapon ! ! and just purchased the 11metre after flying a mates for some time and recently had a demo of 2016, 11M recently.
I find it similar to the 10 but much better than the 12.
I hear the 10 and 11 is the choice for most people.
See if you can demo a 14 first.
GB

Kiwiburger
NSW, 33 posts
31 Jan 2016 12:03AM
Thumbs Up

That's a weird one

clint2070
6 posts
1 Aug 2016 3:12AM
Thumbs Up

I have the 14,12,10,8,6 Im 103kg The wind range on my 12m is so good that my 10 & 8 have yet to be flown. I assume I'll be selling then brand new when the 2017 models come out. My 14m is my go to kite. Im in San Diego Ca though. Light wind capitol of the world. But my 12m is still great at 25knt. Depowered it flies exactly like it does powered up.

clint2070
6 posts
1 Aug 2016 3:22AM
Thumbs Up

I have the 14,12,10,8,6 Im 103kg The wind range on my 12m is so good that my 10 & 8 have yet to be flown. I assume I'll be selling then brand new when the 2017 models come out. My 14m is my go to kite. Im in San Diego Ca though. Light wind capitol of the world. But my 12m is still great at 25knt. Depowered it flies exactly like it does powered up.

Mrknownothing
NSW, 145 posts
10 Aug 2016 2:13PM
Thumbs Up

So the 14m Pivot is somewhat comparable to a zephyr low end wise? Confirm or deny?

cauncy
WA, 8071 posts
10 Aug 2016 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mrknownothing said..
So the 14m Pivot is somewhat comparable to a zephyr low end wise? Confirm or deny?

id confirm a wainmann v3 12 on a tt has a very close bottom end to a zephyr on correct setting, but top end would be questionable, the zephyr has a crazy wind range for its size, if its bottom end your looking for id try something foil wise

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Naish Pivot 2016 - take 2" started by Macster