Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

M8 SS 2007/8

Created by Southpoint > 9 months ago, 2 Oct 2007
Southpoint
WA, 47 posts
2 Oct 2007 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone ridden the new SS M8? I had the old model and it was a super sweet board. Would love some feedback if anyone has ridden the new model.

Also for the Perth chop is the Underground too flat? I just found they tend to nose dive when you are pegging out the back? Could just be technique but on Protoy / Hammer / M8 didn't have the same problem. Is it a flex thing?

Looking for 2008 board mostly ride surf / ocean but like a bit of free style fun every now and again. Would welcolme any suggestions.

Has anyone tried the rubarb lentil custom by slingy? Looks like a nice board also.

Cheers

Southy

carbine
WA, 1440 posts
2 Oct 2007 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

lenten lunacy is a sweet board but i dont think it will suit the conditions your looking at.

Only way to know is to try windforce has a demo i think!

2 Oct 2007 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

hi
IVE used the new M8 SS boards both the 131 & 141 & the stomp if you liked the old one my guess is you will love the new one both ss boards feel realy good but it deepends on what your using them for

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
3 Oct 2007 10:16AM
Thumbs Up

I tried the M8 SS. It pushes you to try new stuff every time you go out cos the landings are so easy. Nice board for the price.

I found the supplied fins are a little small for the surf.

Southpoint
WA, 47 posts
4 Oct 2007 2:49PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks All,

Took the 131 SS out at Cott yesterday afternoon. Light wind around 12-15 kts. Was on 13m Fuel and it was marginal to ok.

The board was perfect! Having owned the old SS125 I was truly impressed by the small tweaks that have been made to improve the board out of sight.

The board is wider and has a really nice bottom shape all the usual concaves etc. Tips are nicely kicked up to avoid catching the nose or tail on landing. Pads are a bit crappy looking but nice underfoot on landing. New graphics are ok.

The ride is really what sets this board apart from anything else I have ridden so far this year or in the past. The board eats chop and even through turbulent water it is uncannily smooth and direct. Board loads up well and although i did not get to do much due to wind but I got the feeling that when the wind is on its going to be perfect.

The landings are so soft you really do have to wonder how they can make this board so good. On the waves it has a nice tight turn and feels really stable with no signs of digging a rail or catching anywhere. Coming up the face toe side and smacking off the top the board was awesome. If you want to throw the tail you can but if you want to hold the line you can throw a serious amount of water.

Can’t fault the build quality or the ride and it’s a good price.

Thanks to Andrew from M8 and Mark from Surfsail for the demo..... I’m not giving it back!!!!

Cheers

Southy

M8
6 posts
5 Oct 2007 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Ben, it was great to meet you on wednesday at the shop. as head of R&D for our M8 boards i am stoked to hear you liked the board. we prefer to let customers give unbiased comment, be it good or bad, than writing our own reviews...

a little bit of tech info

thanks to advances in contruction methods we spent a considerable amount of time refining the rocker line and concave, as this is now a computerised process via CNC. only the outline remains the same over last years model. Working with the manufacturer we also have tailored laminates to suit the boards for optimised flex and strength and they are also press molded rather than vac bagged, resulting in a lighter and stronger board. great thing is that all of this is done locally in australia using the latest and best materials/construction techniques...GO AUSSIE!

Our boards are designed by oz riders for oz riders and conditions
Cheers
Andrew Colefax
M8 Kiteboarding

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"M8 SS 2007/8" started by Southpoint