Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

KFA Mako - A Punters Review

Created by skebstebamal > 9 months ago, 2 Nov 2015
skebstebamal
QLD, 578 posts
2 Nov 2015 8:52AM
Thumbs Up

Rider: Advanced, but learner foiler (5 sessions on zeeko alloy, and 1st one today on mako)
Style: ocean foiling, hoping to have a crack at racing one day....
Weather: 15 knots
Build Quality: 9/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Disclosure: Paid for it myself. Second Hand

My Comments: So I bought a Zeeko alloy to start my foiling days.... I love that foil and it got me completely addicted. But I wanted to try the latest and greatest and I have long service leave coming up so thought I may as well get one I can grow into. . . so enter the High Modulus Mako VX601 by KFA.

I did a job on my knee three weeks ago and am in a brace, still not meant to be on the water for another three weeks, but couldn't have the foil look'n sad and unridden. so went for a quick squirt yesterday, with my mxPOD brace strapped up nice and tight. Thankfully my wife doesn't read seabreeze....as she thought I was there to take photo's : )

15-19knts. 11m 2014 Rebel, 5'10 Resin8 surfboard with double front straps (no rear strap) and of course the Mako.

So first run, I struggled a bit to get it flying, the foil generates so much lift it flies super early, but will flop back down... so I did a few porpoises and got going. I was very tentative with my bung knee too, not wanting to go over the front and twist it, so was probably a little in the back seat. By the end of the session I had this problem sorted a bit better, by not trying to lift the foil to early without kite power, and being more subtle with the pop up onto the foil....it seems to like a smoother approach.

After about 200m it became very clear this foil is super stable and tracks like its on rails. Running similar speeds to my zeeko but feeling like it was on cruise control.

One area I felt it excelled was when on a flat foil. It seemed very stable laterally and didn't feel like it would fall onto the opposite edge...if you know what I mean.. I felt the Zeeko was quite vague on a flat foil DW run and you needed quick toes and ankles to control its lateral pitch. The zeeko responds well to committed turns.

I didn't try any foil gybes or tacks as I am in knee defense mode, but it was very easy to bring down from the foil and gybe it like a normal surfboard and head off again in the other direction.

As a beginner its potential is obviously wasted on me at this stage, but I really appreciated the foil at my level regardless.

It was interesting comparing the Mako on the beach to at slingshot foil which has a lot more front wing flex and mast flex... a lot. Again I'd say there is so much potential inside this beast I'm yet to unlock.

Overall, I'm really stoked with the Mako.

skebstebamal
QLD, 578 posts
18 Dec 2015 5:28AM
Thumbs Up

I thought I should update this now im a few months in and my knee is back to 90%.....

So im now getting used to foiling and starting to lean on the kite to get more speed and even bearing away for some powered speed runs.

The Mako seems limitless speed wise for my level of ability. the faster you go the more stable the foil is, and the power is very noticeable. the crazy stiffness in the wing itself and the mast translates into crazy upwind point.

Ive noticed, or not noticed :) , that there is zero noise, even in the mid to high 20 knots, its deathly silent, which is nice after riding an alloy. Cruise speed (not trying to go fast) on the mako is really nice. deceptively quick.

The other part which is great for upwind and in rolling seas is the longer mast. the mako is roughly 15cm longer than my old zeeko, you can notice the difference, much better for high upwind lean angles and cruising in big chop etc as you can be more lazy with height positioning, when touring and site seeing (my favourite partof foiling... dissapearing upwind and down for hours at a time)

Im no where near maximising the potential of this foil, and the great thing is I wont for some time.... no upgrades needed.

jamesperth
WA, 610 posts
18 Dec 2015 7:02AM
Thumbs Up

Great comments. I've got one ordered and can't wait to ride it. so you are hitting mid to high 20 knots ? Nice. I am stuck around 20 knots at the moment on my current foil.

skebstebamal
QLD, 578 posts
19 Dec 2015 6:18AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah James speed is not a problem on the Mako. for me the toughest thing is finding suitable conditions that u can let it rip. we ride in the ocean so its not always possible to go max speed.

polykarb
VIC, 283 posts
23 Dec 2015 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

20knots, loving the mk3.

13m ChronoV2

12ish knots of seabreeze (no white caps). . So getting close to double the wind speed.

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
23 Dec 2015 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
polykarb said..

20knots, loving the mk3.

13m ChronoV2

12ish knots of seabreeze (no white caps). . So getting close to double the wind speed.

I love my MK3 , Tough as****** nails . I have hit at least half a dozen sandbanks at around 20 knots and no wobble at all .

oldbones
QLD, 114 posts
24 Dec 2015 8:55AM
Thumbs Up

Been on my Mako for a couple of months after a year on KFA Mk3. Really loved mk3 in terms of stability and durability (pretty fast to). For these reasons I was hesitant to make the mako change. Very glad I did though! The Mako has all of the great attributes of the mk3 while reaching a new level in slick and speed. The depth down wind is wear I noticed the biggest difference with the mako maintaining good speed deeper downwind than mk3. I also found the foil gybe easier. I foil gybe pretty slow compared to some and find the mako's slickness keeps me foiling through the less powered kite near 12 part of the gybe (am starting to gybe real nice on it). I haven't mentioned the upwind. Was cranking upwind with 12m chrono the other day (heaps of power). Gust comes along, now really cranking thinking fck in good, closely followed by tomahawk wipeout. My first thought afterward, was I just had a downwind crash going upwind.
Construction looks great (really nice two piece design) and I'm thinking durability compares with mk3. It's a freaking weapon!! That you can learn to foil on (who'd have thought).
I'm given the Mako a wrap so I better confirm I'm not paid to do so, I'm not (paid full price, and money well spent)

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
5 Jan 2016 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

www.instagram.com/p/BAJnxCPP_-4/

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
6 Jan 2016 6:29AM
Thumbs Up

That hashtag abuse makes me wanna punch the guy.. just sayin.. that's outta control

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
11 Jan 2016 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

hahaThats how you get followers..#vegan #hummus hahaha

Kite247
NSW, 48 posts
14 Jan 2016 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Love my KFA Mako its a weapon!

My riding has improved dramatically over the past few months since receiving the setup.
The foil is really stiff, fast and stable. It points higher and faster upwind than the other brands and the stability down wind gives you the confidence to push deeper and faster.

The adjustable rear wing give you control of the angle of attack. This make the foil suitable for any rider or conditions.
I will often adjust the wing to give more lift in the lighter breeze and flatten it out the stronger the wind.

I also have the TMV skinny race board which I find to work brilliantly. The narrow board allows you to get closer to the water, push harder and hold more power upwind.

I can not fault my setup and I'm sure It will continue to be one of the fastest foils for years to come.

If anyone in Sydney is thinking about getting a Mako or into foiling feel free to hit me up for closer look or demo.

Cheers,
Jeremy

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
14 Jan 2016 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
INTHELOOP said..

Please be joking.

If you're not, it's time to invest in a social media advisor. You can spend massive amounts on R&D & Manufacturing, have a wonderful product (as you do), and have no marketing strategy, or worse one that makes you look terrible. Spend a little to fix this side of your business - you'll find it a worthy investment I'm sure.

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
15 Jan 2016 7:06AM
Thumbs Up

After over 10 years in Oz I still do sarcasm really poorly, my bad #foilfoilfoil

ewan kite
VIC, 926 posts
15 Jan 2016 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

haha ye no worries go ahead!

Select to expand quote
kiteboy dave said..
That hashtag abuse makes me wanna punch the guy.. just sayin.. that's outta control

ahah yea no worries go for it!

but maybe read the hashtags and you can tell i'm taking the piss

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
16 Jan 2016 9:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiteboy dave said..

Mate, Ewan is one of Australia's top kiteboaders, a super nice bloke that has been helping a lot of people with kiting. He is an extreme determined and professional young athlete that is representing Australia on the international kiting scene and is inspiring our young and upcoming kiters.Us foilers can be Stoked to have somebody like him foiling which is creating even more hype and positive image for our sport! Nothing but love for him and a few hashtags haven't hurt anybody.

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
16 Jan 2016 1:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiteboy dave said..

INTHELOOP said..

Please be joking.

If you're not, it's time to invest in a social media advisor. You can spend massive amounts on R&D & Manufacturing, have a wonderful product (as you do), and have no marketing strategy, or worse one that makes you look terrible. Spend a little to fix this side of your business - you'll find it a worthy investment I'm sure.

So, you get some free (and, from my perspective, pertinent) marketing advice and you're still arguing with the guy rather than thanking him and learning from the potential customer's perspective …

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
17 Jan 2016 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

My bad for not getting the joke. Maybe I'm too old.

In my defense I see a lot of people doing this for real.

whitsun
QLD, 95 posts
17 Jan 2016 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiteboy dave said..

Are these people for real???
No wonder the country`s in a mess!!

ewan kite
VIC, 926 posts
18 Jan 2016 12:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiteboy dave said..

haha nah i can understand why, this is the kind of **** i hate! But look at #wheygivesyoucancer #hummus #like4kelly #viral #pandemic #epidemic #veganfood, I'm not vegan or anything! It's kind of an inside joke, which i guess could be misconstrued as me being an Instagram like whore, if thats the case I'm not too fussed, seems everyone is like that nowadays anyway!

anyway, you get my point, thats the exact post i was taking the piss out of

Kite247
NSW, 48 posts
29 Jan 2016 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

Check out the KFA Mako in action in the clip below.
Made a few light wind foil gybes last session. Since riding the mako my progression has been quick as its fast but still easy to ride.

Livit
WA, 542 posts
29 Jan 2016 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

This is one noisy foil!!!!

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
30 Jan 2016 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Livit said..
This is one noisy foil!!!!

Its the race lines that make that noise

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
30 Jan 2016 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

you can hear that noise changes when the bar twists on the tack.

Kiwiburger
NSW, 33 posts
31 Jan 2016 12:04AM
Thumbs Up

Never tried it but it must be a leg killer

Kite247
NSW, 48 posts
31 Jan 2016 11:34PM
Thumbs Up

Its actually a lot easier on the body than the race board.

If the board/foil is setup correctly there should be pretty even pressure on each leg.

Also as your above all the chop you don't have to contend with pushing over each wave or chop.

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
15 Apr 2016 9:53AM
Thumbs Up

few more videos about the KFA Mako on the website..www.kitefoil.com.au/videos/

jamesperth
WA, 610 posts
16 Apr 2016 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

For any gear heads I just weight my Mako VX601 and t was 4kg with the flyboy covers on. Just amazed how anything can be so light and strong and the same time.

I'm riding a temavento custom board at the moment which weights 2.2kg.

So under 6kg for a complete setup. I reckon that's sweet.

Just2807
180 posts
18 Apr 2016 10:52PM
Thumbs Up

Haunted lines :O

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"KFA Mako - A Punters Review" started by skebstebamal