JL Model III 139 x 40 cm

Rider: 83kgs intermediate
Style: Freeriding, Surf
Weather: 15-30 knots
Build Quality: 9/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Disclosure: Nothing to disclose, no bias - paid full price

My Comments:
Ok, first up if you are going to try, let alone buy this board you need to have an open mind and not be a trend follower.
Now that 70% of you have left..

So this board and design has essentially been around for several years, yet you hear very little about them, despite owners that luv em'.

This is a great TT for waves and freeriding. Full Stop.
Similar to the old Airush Hammer this board has; rounded rails, old school construction (not sandwich/ABS), is stiffer than most (especially in the middle) and has slightly pinched tips.

These qualities make it an excellent choice for choppy conditions, and especially wave play.

I've had the board out in everything from 15 - +30 knots in only 6-7 sessions and I'm stoked.

Over recent years I've tried Shinn Monks, North X-ride, and other freeride/wave oriented TTs. They were good but just not my cup of tea as they were essentially still just like a typical TT with a few tweaks.
I am on record as saying square rails will never have the feeling in waves etc that round rail boards have.

Show me a surfboard with square waves.. and I will show you a coffee table.

Ok, I've been riding old school designs (by preference) for some time now. I have had Liquid Force Drop 136, Proof 140, proof 151 boards simply due to their shape. They were great, but heavy - real heavy by modern standards.
I'm not throwing down 'flick-spinny' moves so never been that much of a prob for me as the shape does what I want and works very well in waves.

Same with the JL MIII, but a little more refined, and certainly lighter. Still strong as fek it seems tho.

Seriously if you are prepared to move away from square railed boards for wave satisfaction (and despite climing to have rounded rails the X-ride etc are def still more square than round).

Ok couple of points. If you normally ride a TT around 135cm then you will find the 139 model has similar low end. Having pinched in tips give you much better control during heavy turns/slashes but you do lose a smidge of early planning. I was surprised at the low end of this board tho, it does better than I expected.

The Concave is deep and flows right through the tail. Works well and achieves acceleration out of heavy turns. Seriously I freakin love this feature and it had me grinning like a numpty after my 1st sesh.

The board is stiffer than most, and whilst the rounded rails do help with chop and ride, some will find it too stiff. Good footpads will help. I didn't go for the JL pads - not because I didn't like them tho (I didn't get to demo so defaulted to Liquid force pads as I have always enjoyed them)

Oh, boosting is nice on the board, no slouch but not it's main strength.

Did I mention how much fun the board is in waves?

Try one. WOK might be the main importer in Oz now? I had a little difficulty getting hold of a board as the previous suppliers just weren't enthused and were pushing shiny latest and (not so IMO) greatest brands/boards.

Enjoy.

1likeBJ
WA, 152 posts
21 Jan 2014 3:20PM
Thumbs Up

I second everything Funky says. Excellent fun wave TT.

The 139 feels small because it is - same length as my Tempo 135. Pick at least 1 size bigger than what you normally ride.

Even though the tips are narrow, this board does load and pop. I think it's because it's quite stiff. Good if there's a bit of flat water inside the break

lostatsea
WA, 147 posts
21 Jan 2014 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

hey getfunky, good to see you ended up getting a jimmy, as you now know, there is a reason why they have not changed in years!

I had a supermodel and model 3 around 2005/6, should never have sold them, but cruising the net one day seen they were still being made, so I got a new 139 M3 from Jason at WOK just over a year ago

Just like the old LF drop's they are a truly awesome board.

personal preference getfunky but I changed out the fins to 2"

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
24 Jan 2014 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

Ta for the feedback fellas I was suspecting I was the only discerning JL rider for miles!

Yes BJ I agree, it does feel small for 139 and it does load up very nicely.

Hey Lost, mine came with 2" and they certainly have more of grip than slide than my 2" Liquid Force fins.
BTW, how does the MIII compare with the supermodel in the waves?
It was suggested by another supplier that I go for that instead of MIII (as he had SM in stock and didn't bother chasing up MIII availability for a couple of weeks)

How much fun is it the way the board cranks into a loaded turn, then slingshots outta there with speed!?

I do wish the rails were a little bit fatter (just what I'm used to) but very happy with this board.

lostatsea
WA, 147 posts
25 Jan 2014 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

M3 for the waves! you made the right choice

The SM was noticeably wider in like for like size and was very much a freestyle board with heaps of pop - the board ive got on in my railey avatar is the super model - circa 2006, it was not quite as fast or smooth as the M3

Also had a few rides on the original bitch witch, not sure if they still make that, that wasn't for me

I got my original M3 from marty @ delta, kitted with the delta pads, straps and 2 1/2" fins all because i didn't like the JL "see throughish G10's" (at the time thought they would be weak as p!ss, i was wrong), latest M3 came with the before mentioned JL 1 1/2" fins, after a few sessions found them to be good but not great in the waves, so put on some old 2" delta fins i had laying around and found my groove on it

I change regularly between a strapless 6' surfboard and M3 in the waves, the rails are chalk and cheese but for what the board is i find the rails just right, but again that's my personal preference

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
28 Jan 2014 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

Blatant pimp warning.
We have a Model 3 - 133x39 - in firengine red - brand new.
Had it for too long - Yes they are a great board that only appeals to a minority !!
Big discount off RRP of $899.
Give us a hoy if you are interested.
IMO the 133 would make a great ocean/wave board for a very light rider - like 60kgs & less.
For standard TT performance the majority are right in sticking to the newer evolution styles.

lostatsea
WA, 147 posts
28 Jan 2014 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

hey puppet, they have retailed in Australia for $750 for a few years now?

http://jimmylewis.com.au/Boards/Kite-Boards/Model-3

that's what I payed 12+ months ago

$899 was the price 2005

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
29 Jan 2014 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

lostatsea said..

hey puppet, they have retailed in Australia for $750 for a few years now?

http://jimmylewis.com.au/Boards/Kite-Boards/Model-3

that's what I payed 12+ months ago

$899 was the price 2005

We havent had it THAT long!! But there you go.
Came into stock with RRP of $899. Havent seen them anywhere else at any price so was unaware of this price difference.
JL has had an 'interesting' journey in Oz the past 3 or 4 years.
Not surprised really that you found one at a discount from Jimmys suggested price.
Looks like our price just went even lower

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Jimmy Lewis Model 3" started by getfunky