Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Island inflatable electric kite pump

Created by Doug Jerrems > 9 months ago, 1 Feb 2015
Doug Jerrems
NSW, 11 posts
1 Feb 2015 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

12 months ago I bought and Island inflatable electric kite pump from Kitepower. It has been great for the last 12 months. Just after 12 months the pump failed to switch from low pressure pump to high pressure pump. I opened it up and discovered the switch mechanism was a simple spring. The spring had lost it's tension after 12 months use. I shortened the spring by looping more of it over one of its anchor points. This solved the problem temporarily. I would like to get some replacement springs. The rest of the parts seem quite sophisticated and it is strange that a $300 pump can be rendered useless by the failure of a 10 cent spring. Any one know where I can get replacement springs?

lancekenny
SA, 402 posts
2 Feb 2015 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

Dont know about the replacement springs but for Xmas I got the Ryobi one+ high pressure and high volume pump - does the kites and tyres a treat and one normal battery lasts for ages - think it was about $70 with no batteries as I already had a stack of them

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
2 Feb 2015 4:46PM
Thumbs Up

Have you got in touch with kitepower, I'm pretty sure the back up service on these pumps is pretty good. yeh that switch has always caused a few probs....great unit though.

Buzz
NSW, 319 posts
7 Feb 2015 7:07AM
Thumbs Up

Kitepower should be able to fix you up ...

I got mine direct from this guy in Menai, Sydney about 3-4 years ago (think he is the importer - pretty sure they are made in CHINA)... maybe he has spare parts for 'em ... have had to change the batt a few times (mine is only 6v tho) ... other than that, it has been great especially for pumping up larger size kites.
Standard ones are $199, deluxe (which I have) $299

www.islandinflatables.com.au/accessories/pump/island-inflator-pump
(watch the vid. for info)

Those Ryobi One+ ones sound ok too ...

7 Feb 2015 9:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Doug Jerrems said..
12 months ago I bought and Island inflatable electric kite pump from Kitepower. It has been great for the last 12 months. Just after 12 months the pump failed to switch from low pressure pump to high pressure pump. I opened it up and discovered the switch mechanism was a simple spring. The spring had lost it's tension after 12 months use. I shortened the spring by looping more of it over one of its anchor points. This solved the problem temporarily. I would like to get some replacement springs. The rest of the parts seem quite sophisticated and it is strange that a $300 pump can be rendered useless by the failure of a 10 cent spring. Any one know where I can get replacement springs?

Hi Doug

Please send me a pic of the pump and spring issue, I'll be able to sort out the problem for you no worries.

info @ kitepower.com.au

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
7 Feb 2015 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said...
Have you got in touch with kitepower, I'm pretty sure the back up service on these pumps is pretty good. yeh that switch has always caused a few probs....great unit though.

Epps , what's going on, electric pump, you used to be hardcore , chai latte after a kite now?

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
7 Feb 2015 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

Ha ha mick. We pump up much bigger kites regularly than you mid western crew. I will
Leave my 'hard core' for when I'm flying 20
Foot over your head. Smiling of course to be polite.

Main
QLD, 2325 posts
8 Feb 2015 11:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kitepower Australia said..

Doug Jerrems said..

Hi Doug

Please send me a pic of the pump and spring issue, I'll be able to sort out the problem for you no worries.

info @ kitepower.com.au

Ive got the exact same problem. will send an email

Main
QLD, 2325 posts
8 Feb 2015 2:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Doug Jerrems said..

that worked - thanks!!

Doug Jerrems
NSW, 11 posts
9 Feb 2015 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

Kitepower, Thanks for your response. When I rang you before you gave me the number of the distributor. They weren't interested - they said if it was covered under warranty they would just replace the pump. They said they don't supply spare parts. I will take a picture of the pump and the relevant spring. I have a feeling that others (as seen in this string of posts) are having the same problem. As I said previously it seems silly that a 10c spring can render a $300 pump useless. Glad I helped "Main" temporarily solve the same problem

apepene43
QLD, 116 posts
9 Feb 2015 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

I have had this spring stop the secondary motor from working had to move the spring for it to cut in.But the secondary one then stopped working anyway so on to the next one

Doug Jerrems
NSW, 11 posts
10 Feb 2015 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

Kitepower. I have included a picture of the relevant spring. When the low pressure pump reaches a certain pressure it switches the trigger on the right of the spring. If the spring has enough tension it closes and triggers the high pressure pump. The problem is that the spring loses tension over time.

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
10 Feb 2015 4:22PM
Thumbs Up

mine has been going strong for well over a year . Mainly pumping up a 15 and 19 edge many many many times

Doug Jerrems
NSW, 11 posts
10 Feb 2015 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

Waiting to hear back from kitepower. These are additional photos of my Island inflatable pump.

Doug Jerrems
NSW, 11 posts
11 Feb 2015 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

My response from Kitepower,
Hey Doug,
<div> The pumps aren't a "serviceable" unit so the supplier doesn't stock parts for them (they replace the unit if within warranty period of 12months) However, what is the length of that spring? I will go to a stainless fasteners supplier and see if I can find some springs.

<div>They haven't seen this type of issue before so it is definitely isolated.

<div>Let me know the length and i'll see if I can find some. If you have a stainless fastener supplier near you, definitely have a look too.

<div>Cheers,

<div class="gmail_extra">
<div>
<div class="gmail_signature">Goodwinds,
Peace McCormack
Kitepower Australia Pty Ltd
302 The Grand Pde
Sans Souci
NSW, 2219
ph: 02 95296894
[u]www.kitepower.com.au
[/u]
<div>
Peace,

<div>The issue is definitely not isolated. The issue has been raised on the internet before and in this stream. The length of the spring won’t help. The diameter and tension are important. I guess my advice for consumers is "don't buy the Island Inflatable electric pump from Kitepower because if anything goes wrong with it after 12 months you have blown your $300.

11 Feb 2015 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Doug, I offered to help you out if it was just the spring that was the issue. I have e-mailed you, bring the pump in or send it in if you are unsatisfied with a replacement spring, we have sold a lot of these pumps and they are a great product, even a reasonable time outside of the standard 12month warranty period Island Inflatable are happy to have a look at it and replace the unit if they are in fact faulty.
Cheers,

Peace

11 Feb 2015 11:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Doug Jerrems said..
Kitepower, Thanks for your response. When I rang you before you gave me the number of the distributor.

Sorry, missed this part. This should have never happened, will be having a word to the staff about it . Im heading down your way on the weekend, will bring a shop unit down and take your one back with me to sort out.

Doug Jerrems
NSW, 11 posts
12 Feb 2015 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Peace. My dig at Kitepower was unfair. I appreciate your efforts.

apepene43
QLD, 116 posts
12 Feb 2015 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

I have never had any last a year had 3 or 4 but if u need an elec pump not any thing else better to buy infortunately should get two years warranty be nice

IanR
NSW, 1237 posts
12 Feb 2015 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

It is worth checking the shut off pressure with these pumps.
As they age they tend to not to pump the kite up to the pressure indicated

thorn
WA, 172 posts
14 Feb 2015 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

I've had mine for 3 years now along with my two brothers. The pumps are fantastic and would never be without them but two of the three have had switches that failed. I rang the distributors as they were a month out of warranty when they failed and they said that they had not heard of that problem happening before (yea right) but I could buy replacement switches for $10 each. I did that and with my basic soldering skills the pumps are now good again.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Island inflatable electric kite pump" started by Doug Jerrems