29 Mar 2013 2:53AM
Thumbs Up

Dynabar XT with Powerwave bar / Dakine Renegade Waist Harness
Rider: 158 lbs / 72 ; Intermediate
Style: Freeriding, Surf
Weather: 18-30 plus knots
Build Quality: 8/10
Satisfaction: 10/10

I finally succumbed to purchasing a Dynabar XT rather than making a sliding hook myself. The dealer urged me to purchase it with the PW bar making it better for not only waves but for freeriding and jumping as well.

I didn't know if there would be an adjustment period using this new contraption. Being low tide I had to walk out a considerable ways to get to the water. Wow, what a difference the sliding hook can make when your walking your kite up the beach. It took less effort. If the Dynabar did nothing else I was sold on this benefit alone.

Next, I was out on the water cruising back and forth and forgot it was even there. Then it was time for some carving turns and the hook slid smoothly without notice. That was nice. When I transitioned to toeside, I was wowed once again. What a difference! Suddenly I looked better than I really was ;)

For whatever reason my waist harness didn't ride up as much with the Dynabar. I noticed this over a period of sessions. It also made my occasional upwind body drags a little easier. I felt more comfortable and the hook position enabled me to be more efficient poking through the water.

Newbies would get lot's of benefit from a sliding hook.

I got some flack from a hard core wakestyle rider, stating that it's a gimmick and will create bad habits. Maybe it's not ideal for wakestyle (although I've seen videos of wakestyler's doing impressive tricks with the Dynabar). Maybe it's not for everyone, but it's no gimmick. As for bad habits, what's wrong with easier walks up the beach, comfortable bodydragging, to more efficient transitions. I can live with all that. I'm sold. I don't know if this is accurate, the dealer told me that the Dynabar eliminates, or nearly so, any spreader bar associated rib injuries. Hey, that could be one less thing to worry about.

I haven't tried it with the Dyneema rope yet, but I'm satisfied with the bar. It's time to take my Liquid Force boardshorts (seat harness) out of mothballs and try it with the Dynabar. The sliding hook should be standard equipment with every seat harness.

If I have a complaint it's specifically about the precision in the machining of the Dynabar. It wasn't the easiest to assemble, nothing too challenging but it took finessing. Things didn't line up as well as they could - screws to nuts and threaded inserts / fishing the dyneema line through inserts. I think it could use a little more polish but it shouldn't deter anyone from purchasing it. The Dynabar is a solid piece and I don't worry about failure. This is why prefer the solid stainless wave bar to the Dyneema rope. It's just one less thing that could fail. It would also be nice to have an actual instruction manual and not just a few videos online.

mc
NSW, 357 posts
29 Mar 2013 7:08AM
Thumbs Up

Been using them for 3 years , broke the bar , it was replaced by kitepower even though it was 14 months old, good customer sevice both ends , supplier/ retailer.

Take the bar off, use the rope only but tighten the rope so it's as tight as you can get it. Then watch the rope give you around 250 degrees of angle .
The rope only set up is used by a few now, it allows waking up the beach after a long downwinder effortless as the kite can effectively be behind you . The v7 is much better than previous models as they now have a rubber bungee , I'd be interested in any other tweaks others have done .
Cheers
Mc

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
29 Mar 2013 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

Dyna bar and rope and never looked back. Much better angles on waves, never feel it moving, and is comfortable. The hardest part was getting the rope as tight as can be. I won't be going back to a standard setup. I use it with the Mystic Warrior 3.

pilotpete
WA, 147 posts
29 Mar 2013 8:29AM
Thumbs Up

Had dyna-bar for a while now great system works very well. Plastic rollers are very soft and need replacing often so made new one out of brass and problem solved.

windtzu
93 posts
3 Apr 2013 1:20AM
Thumbs Up

Tried the Dynabar yesterday with my Liquid Force boardshorts seat harness for the first time. :) It was also a first with the seat harness since I was a newbie.

72 kg bodyweight - 23 knots - surfboard (5'6 Airush Cypher) - lit on the 12 meter Airush Lithium in chop and swell...

Seat gave me extra leverage and control when on the edge of being overpowered

Didn't get pulled off board like I would with the waist harness being so powered

Lower center of gravity made swell riding easier

Sliding hook made body drags easier and more efficient > actually didn't mind body dragging so much ;) and without my ribs being constricted by a waist harness, I could breathe

Toeside was now easy with the sliding hook on the seat harness

I like both the seat and waist harness depending on the conditions, but both will include the Dynabar.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
3 Apr 2013 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

windtzu said...

I got some flack from a hard core wakestyle rider, stating that it's a gimmick and will create bad habits. Maybe it's not ideal for wakestyle (although I've seen videos of wakestyler's doing impressive tricks with the Dynabar). Maybe it's not for

Isn't wakestyle all about unhooked tricks, lol. I think he must be doing it wrong!!!
It takes a little more to hook back in, but still super do-able.

I've said it before, but I love the Dynabar...
Why I am the only one at my beach using one is beyond me.

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
4 Apr 2013 9:17AM
Thumbs Up

^
I managed to get two hardcore guys on to the Dynabar this season not long after I had mine dialed in. None of us looked back. For me it was all about getting the length of rope just right for my short arse arms.

chrisb
37 posts
4 Apr 2013 6:25AM
Thumbs Up

So what are the tricks for getting the rope really short? I can't see from the "how to put it together videos" how the rope is attached.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
4 Apr 2013 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

Figure of eight knot to lock you ends off. Adjust where knot is to get he right length in rope.

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
4 Apr 2013 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Just for the record...
Most customers are pretty uncertain about purchasing a Dyna Bar. So I have offered almost all an unlimited test time with the offer of 'money back return' if they arent happy with it.
(no loss for me as I would like to have a demo available anyhow)
NOT ONE has come back.
Worst feedback I have received is "...not sure? back to my regular bar for now"
Made the offer of a refund but got a definite "No Way. Want some more time with it".

IM(personal)O. Havent been out much this season but the couple of trial runs I have had have sold me. Just makes the whole ride more comfortable. A lot moreso on turns & toeside & esp for those in seats.
Wish they had been around when I spent 5 months walking back up Melville Beach

zzzzz
WA, 57 posts
4 Apr 2013 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

Got me hooked
See you tomorrow

jboz
NSW, 38 posts
5 Apr 2013 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

I first tried mine with the steel bar. Gave it a good three sessions, then put it away. It was too jerky and a little unpredictable.

Mid season, I gave the rope system a go for the first time. Loved it and would not change back when riding a surfboard. Having said that, the rope has now self destructed and the plastic roller has destroyed itself. Easy enough to fix though.

Also the rubber bungee cord destroyed itself halfway through the season, don't reckon I need it, as I think the only real advantage is for unhooking (it re-centres). And there is only one wave direction that I have found where unhooking is actually a benefit and even that is now not so true with the dyna bar.

Cheers

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
5 Apr 2013 5:11PM
Thumbs Up

I was keen to get a Dynabar but thought I'd mod my own bar, just to see if I liked using the slider before purchasing. Must say I'm very happy with my mod (spectra rope + snapshackle), are there any benefits for Dynabar over this type of mod - if your only going to use the rope slider. ?

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
6 Apr 2013 10:10AM
Thumbs Up

do a search and you will see all the mods done in the past. You don't need the bar. I didn't like the clunkyness of the bar, which is what JBoz was referring to. You can do the mod and have all the advantages that we are currently experiencing. Parts are easy to replace when they wear. I think you could get a season, or at least most of a good season on one rope without having to replace it.

windtzu
93 posts
6 Apr 2013 11:17PM
Thumbs Up

I understand the new pro wave slider bar is an improvement over the freeride and the old wave bar. I don't find it clunky and it gives a solid almost rigid hook feel with the virtue of sliding. In addition, it doesn't stretch like the rope can. It's better than the rope option if you want to jump. Whatever option you choose it's a win-win concept.

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
7 Apr 2013 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

IF you like it and it works great! As far as jumping with the rope, it is not an issue at all.

zarb
NSW, 620 posts
7 Apr 2013 9:59AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone had a go of the new Dynabar full harness setup? The one that comes with leg straps and shorts to add?

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
7 Apr 2013 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

zarb said...
Anyone had a go of the new Dynabar full harness setup? The one that comes with leg straps and shorts to add?

not me...
if your thinking of getting/trying the dynabar, take my harness out.
90% sure you will be sold on it in 15 minutes...

zarb
NSW, 620 posts
7 Apr 2013 11:06PM
Thumbs Up

I might just do that. Riding toeside on our downwinder I had to twist my harness around to get comfortable. Dynabar looks a treat!

philip ellis
WA, 38 posts
20 Dec 2013 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

I have been using the Dynabar XT for a couple of months now for surf style. It is brilliant!! I have a chronic bad lower back and this bar has given me approx 70% relief from extra strain while in the water and walking on the beach. I recommend it greatly,

20 Dec 2013 4:46PM
Thumbs Up

5 weeks out from knee surgery, 25+ knots, choppy flat water first session back no worries riding heel or toeside strapless on a Cab 5'10" Skillet, rode one way toeside for over 2 klms, its so easy with a dynabar, feels very natural, and for linking turns nothing could compare. I use the rope only version, and although I can use a fixed hook spreader bar, its so much harder physically on my back and knees I'd never go back.
Took a while to convert Leo Loro, but even he prefers it now.

mc
NSW, 357 posts
21 Dec 2013 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

There is no way you can lay your board so far over , ride toe side with no painful feet and feel so lose, I ride rope option as well what a fantastic product for surf

Hobie1463
SA, 449 posts
21 Dec 2013 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

I use the standard steel bar set up. Don't have any issues at all. I don't mind the clunky feel, lets me know its still there :0)

Would recommend to anyone with lower back issues.

Great product

FromSAtoAus
WA, 43 posts
21 Dec 2013 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

Another bonus of the Dynabar - today the bolt that holds the roller thingy popped off on launch (from now on I'll check it more often) and, would you believe it, the elastic band that keeps it centred held the kite - no dramas. There's a safety feature I didn't count on. Ain't nothing as comfortable for surf riding than the Dynabar, except unhooked.

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
21 Dec 2013 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

Ive been following up as often as possible with new owners of the Dynabar.
To my reckoning about 75% are on the rope. 25% on the metal bar.
Those who prefer the rope tend to say the bar is too clunky.
Those on the bar say the rope doesnt allow as much free movement.
But it could just be that they come fitted with the rope off the shelf & most just dont bother trying the bar.
Whatever - they seem to be gaining popularity at an amazing rate.

Personally - I prefer the rope. I didnt like the bar at all.
If you opt for the bar Id suggest sourcing a metal sleeve to replace the plastic roller. The plastic parts wear excessively & you only get 1 replacement in the pack.
Brass or stainless shims are far more practical.
Awesome product - esp for wave riders (& those who like toeside riding??)

bigtone667
NSW, 1502 posts
22 Dec 2013 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

Inspired by this thread, I went and purchased a Dynabar V7 with the wave bar.

I found the movement on the wave bar to be a bit disconcerting with clunking between the different positions. But ....
I moved the pulley and hook onto the rope (the default setup), and it is really very very good.

I not only killed toeside in my natural stance, but killed toeside in the goofy stance (having never been able to do it before).

Gone to dark side
NSW, 379 posts
23 Dec 2013 9:25AM
Thumbs Up

hanglos.fr/news/311608/jay-dynabar-v8-xt-en-jay-xt-harnas.html
Looking at getting a Dynarbar think I will wait and try the new one as I like the idear of having a places to have a kite knife pocket .

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Impressed with the Dynabar" started by windtzu