Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
21 Jun 2018 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

Rider: Average kook
Brand: ION
Model: Onxy Amp 5:4
Disclaimer: General public with nothing to do with the kite industry

Well in the opening I really hope this doesn't get pulled down because it is a real review and not the general 10/10 everything is awesome post. My background for reviewing this wetsuit is I have been a surfer for over 20 years, I also spear, dive and have done a little work underwater a while back so I have been through a fair few wetties.

Well as I'm getting older I am getting softer, much softer, to the point where I spent a considerable amount of time researching the warmest and best wetsuit last winter. Cost wasn't an issue and I just looking at features etc. After a good deal of research (lusting over web pages), I decided on the ION Onxy Amp. To be fair, it did have a lot going for it, leg drainage, fleece inside, key pouches etc. but in the real world, it failed miserably.

First thing I noticed was how much colder it was. I was coming from a knackered 3:2 ripcurl and I was expecting to be toast, and I wasn't. I thought it being a 5:4 was going to be ridiculous, especially because of the sealed material that was one of the key selling factors.

Secondly, I didn't like the fit from the get-go, hard to get on and off and never sat right, but hey I understand that's personal but as I say I have never experienced that.

Lastly, and my main reason for writing this is the extremely poor quality. Halfway through last winter, I had to get numberous tears repaired in the legs from pulling it on, literately shredded the legs. Anyways so I was pretty disapointed to be doing repairs on something less than 6moths old but more so that again the legs have fallen to pieces as well as a couple of tears in the back.

The final straw was on my last break when I bought a cheep ($175) Billabong 3:2. Way superior in every way. I really noticed it as I was wearing them back to back because I hate getting into a cold wet wetty but in the end, I rathered that than have to be cold in the ION.

Overall, terible fit, terible quallity, terible warmth but man it looked good, that might be enough for some,. LOL.

Rating 2/10

Fly on da wall
SA, 725 posts
21 Jun 2018 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

I'd believe it.. I've seen those harness shorts blow out in no time

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
21 Jun 2018 1:35PM
Thumbs Up

Mystic star
shidts on all the big name suits in warmth and longevity
just got back from northern Tasmania, warm as toast in my 3/2, costs a third of you big name brands

ActionSportsWA
WA, 950 posts
21 Jun 2018 1:47PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Gazuki,

im a little surprised by your review. Did you not try it on before you bought it? All wetsuits shapes and sizes vary and iMHO should be tried first to ensure a good fit.

Two years ago ago I took a Strike Select 5.5/4.5 and only wore it once as I nearly died of overheating in a cold September wind at Mullaloo.

As for tears, it should still be under warranty if it's only 6 months old. I don't doubt your sincerity but it isn't inline with our experience. Can you call me in the store on Tuesday next week, i'd Like to help if possible.

Pretty sure you didnt buy buy from us did you?

DM

Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
21 Jun 2018 2:51PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Darren,

Yes, I did the silly thing of buying online. Having said that if I did try it on it would be the size I would choose, it is just it was wrong in strange places. Sat high up the neck, tight around the neck, hard getting in and out off.

As I say the warmth thing was strange as I am comparing a 5:4 to x2 3:2's and both were warmer.

As far as the tears, as above I bought it online and it just fell into the too hard basket. For your reference, it's the material that looks almost shiny, same as whats on most chest pieces.

I guess the big lesson is always to buy from your local but as I say I would have bought it anyway. Its the tearing is what has most disappointing and that is a time thing, once again, shop support would have been nice.

Thank you all the same for your offer.

shi thouse
WA, 1129 posts
21 Jun 2018 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

I get what you mean with odd fits. I bought an Adrenalin wetsuit a couple of seasons ago. Tout themselves as being the Aussie Brand but probably made in a sweat shop somewhere o/s. That said, size was right in length but just fitted wrongly in certain spots. That said, worst wetsuit I have ever bought and would not touch one again. Started falling apart after no-time. When I dealt with the company they had no-idea about stock, distribution and repairs.

Went across to Mystic wetsuits and love them But they have since stopped making my size - XLT.

Have recently purchased a GUL wetsuit from the UK and could not be happier with it. Fit, comfort, materials and build are amazing. Probably the best constructed wetsuit I have ever bought, and all for under $200. It is a 3 x 2 and wears as warm as my 4 x 3 Mystic.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
21 Jun 2018 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shi thouse said..
I get what you mean with odd fits. I bought an Adrenalin wetsuit a couple of seasons ago. Tout themselves as being the Aussie Brand but probably made in a sweat shop somewhere o/s. That said, size was right in length but just fitted wrongly in certain spots. That said, worst wetsuit I have ever bought and would not touch one again. Started falling apart after no-time. When I dealt with the company they had no-idea about stock, distribution and repairs.

Went across to Mystic wetsuits and love them But they have since stopped making my size - XLT.

Have recently purchased a GUL wetsuit from the UK and could not be happier with it. Fit, comfort, materials and build are amazing. Probably the best constructed wetsuit I have ever bought, and all for under $200. It is a 3 x 2 and wears as warm as my 4 x 3 Mystic.

Blast from the past
With GUL, worth keeping in mind is euro suits imho seem to be a step up in thermal ratios, my young bloke complained his mystic suit was too warm for surfing
had to keep opening the neck up to let cooler water in

Gorgo
VIC, 4911 posts
21 Jun 2018 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Just my two cents, but if you buy anything other than needEssentials wetsuits you are just pissing your money against the wall.

Super warm. Super cheap. Super good service. A 6/5/4 fast dry, super stretch, full hood, front zip suit for $395 including delivery.

needessentials.com

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
25 Jun 2018 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

Maybe they've improved Gorgo, but my Needs wetty is not nearly in the same league as my top-shelf O'Neil.

But hey who am I to tell a Victorian about wetsuits

bramber
VIC, 134 posts
26 Jun 2018 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

Australian wetsuits are just the best. Maybe a little pricey but worth it. I prefer a good surf wettie that works over an over wrought euro wetsuit with "kite features".

Fly on da wall
SA, 725 posts
26 Jun 2018 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

I've never had a bad rip curl wetsuit and I've had a lot of them...
But each to their own.
If you're in a cold climate, you can't beat being warm and dry in a real drysuit.. Who wants to be wet in a wetsuit under 18 degrees??

JBFletch
QLD, 1287 posts
17 Jul 2018 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

The strike is made with a "tailored fit" in mind.RC and other surf suits are made using a stretch fit. Which is great for surfing but adds to fatigue for anyone doing windsports that are constantly straining arm and leg muscles.
The other thing is that all the major brands, including ION, come out of the same factory. So quality is no better or worse with each brand.You learnt the lesson for all of us.Go to a store, try the suit on and get the fit right.

AUS126
NSW, 192 posts
18 Jul 2018 9:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JBFletch said..
The strike is made with a "tailored fit" in mind.RC and other surf suits are made using a stretch fit. Which is great for surfing but adds to fatigue for anyone doing windsports that are constantly straining arm and leg muscles.
The other thing is that all the major brands, including ION, come out of the same factory. So quality is no better or worse with each brand.You learnt the lesson for all of us.Go to a store, try the suit on and get the fit right.

I tried to buy another ion wetsuit this winter. Shop had none in stock to try on and said I had to look up ion website to check size. Ion website is useless, so that was the end of that. I ended up buying online at half the price from need essentials, which had a really simple and easy to navigate website. Great service and wetsuit. I can't see myself going back.

CJ2478
NSW, 482 posts
18 Jul 2018 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

I share your sentiment re Ion wetsuit quality. Bought online to save a few bucks and one year in the seam under my arm on my rib cage has busted which has left me with a 7cm cold water vent. I was on holidays for two months (no kiting/surfing), and used a springsuit/boardies/vest in summer so the suit probably only really had 6 months of use. I work long hours at a demanding job and can't surf or kite after work during those 6 months (winter, shorter daylight hours), so for the 6 months of actual use, it maybe got used on average one per week.

This is in contrast to my last suit which was an xcel, which I had for 4 years of pretty heavy use (several times per week, rarely rinsed after use) and only during the last year did seams start to break apart like the ion one has already done. Never had issues with other traditional surf brands of suits I have owned such as RipBong.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"ION Wetsuit, Onyx Amp 2/10" started by Gazuki