Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Griffin Argo vs TRX

Created by warwickl > 9 months ago, 5 Dec 2015
warwickl
NSW, 2173 posts
5 Dec 2015 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

Disclosure: I have been an Argo(some years ago) and TRX kiter for several years

These two kites have been around for quite a few years with Argo the most years.

Since TRX arrived on the scene I have only purchased these however have occasionally Kited on an Argo.

These days most if not all of my kiting is in small to medium surf on a regular surfboard (ie not a specific kite surfboard).

I am interested to know others views/experience particularly in regard to Argo vs TRX for surf and what boards people use with these kites in the surf?

Kiwiburger
NSW, 33 posts
5 Dec 2015 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

Hiya, I use the griffin Argo and spend most of my time riding strapless in the surf. TRX used to be the kite which was better for the surf but nowadays the Argo has had an overhaul and the bridle has been changed to a pulley less system which has changed a few thing about the way it flys and responds. It's now much more responsive and I think it has a bit wider wind range. The biggest change I have found is the way it sits in the sky, before it used to hunt the water, so I park the kite and it would turn down and fall which meant I could really take my eye of the kite which was a pain in the bum in the surf. With the new bridle setup, it parks and sits in the sky so comfortably that I can enjoy playing on a wave abit more and then when I'm done and it's time to jet, I can swing it, bar in and power out of there. That reassurance is a real comfort for me because there's no worse feeling than having a wave close out and there is not enough power to get out of the way. I've copped my fair share of waves on the head because of that.

The Argo and the TRX are both now being combined taking the best aspects from both kites due for release in 2016. It being called ArgoX. I'm looking forward to checking that out.

warwickl
NSW, 2173 posts
6 Dec 2015 5:21PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Kiwiburger
First up How did you get that name?

Second - have you kited the 2016 TRX?

I have the 10m TRX 2016 with new bar which has the front lines on a long Y and love it. I think it has more usable low end power and still all the excellent featurers of TRX.

When comparing low end power performance I am mearuring how I am going against other kiters I frequently kite with who have other high priced kites.

bigtone667
NSW, 1502 posts
7 Dec 2015 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

I saw Chris and few of his mates at Kurnell on saturday flying kites that reminded a bit of a TRX but certainly not the same colouring as either the TRX or Argo.

Buzz Kites (Lee)
NSW, 110 posts
9 Dec 2015 9:33AM
Thumbs Up

I was one of the mates with Chris at Kurnell and tried out the new 10M in about 20 knots. I normally ride a 3 year old 12M Griffin which has been a great kite for my Botany bay trips. I was very surprised at how well the new kite performed in comparison. It's only got three struts so I thought I would notice a difference from that change, but once it was in the air, the only way I could have known it only had three struts was by looking at it and counting them.I'm 97 kg's and it gave me all the power I needed which was the first surprise as I left the beach. The next surprise was how well it went up wind. There was constant steady power all over the wind window as it was extremely responsive to small changes in bar pressure. It turned quickly from every position, but was very stable in the air if you left the bar alone. It surprised me and compared very well to some other new kites from different international brands that I flew at a recent KP demo day - I would even go so far as to say it was better. As a friend of Chris, I may be a bit biased, so the best way to judge it is to get on one out on the water for a demo...and judge it for yourself.

Ricardo1709
NSW, 1301 posts
9 Dec 2015 12:46PM
Thumbs Up

How can one get a demo ??

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
10 Dec 2015 7:18AM
Thumbs Up

normally if you you ring Chris he will send you one to demo, or if you buy one and don't like it I believe he will give you your money back.

Ricardo1709
NSW, 1301 posts
11 Dec 2015 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

I bought my first kite from you warwick a red and white 2010 10m argo,i crashed it, got totally out of control on it,took out a local (thankfully understanding) windsurfer(twice) and after 6 months finally got some sort of handle on this exhilarating sport ,after 3 or 4 kites since then it still ranks as a great kite ,wish I could get a LE bladder for it ,still love the park and ride of the Argo .

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Griffin Argo vs TRX" started by warwickl