Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Flysurfer Speed 5

Created by jamesperth > 9 months ago, 22 Jan 2016
BillTotal
QLD, 50 posts
17 Feb 2016 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

$3101 for a 12m incl. Bar..... pbk managed to jump as high as 18m+ with the lotus, curious whether The Speed 5 can go higher, the price definitely is

jamesperth
WA, 610 posts
17 Feb 2016 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Porkyhorse said..

....and up they go. Check again.

Apologies - My fault - GST and duty were not flowing thru correctly to the product page. As I order kites on demand, I've been messing about with my site trying to keep AUD prices accurate with current FX rates (EUR:AUD) and stuffed up my tax settings. This has now been fixed.

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
18 Feb 2016 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said..

Loftywinds said..

Porkyhorse said..
Any idea on Aus pricing yet lads?

LOL... yeah pretty obvious question that should have been answered by now...

Picture this...

"Roll up... greatest kite ever (psstt until Speed 6 comes out of course), BUT my good man.. don't let a bargain go by without checking this beauty out...
It's got profile... oooh yeah... it's got speed.... aha..... it's good contours that leave the Speed 4 in ancient history.... oh and the price my good man!? Well it's only $3,600 !!!!"

Record scratch moment.

Save yourself some money and get a Pansh for $100, so you don't feel so bad when you slam it into the water and blow all the cells out.Price is what it is--look at what you're getting. If you can't see that value, you should stay outa the thread ;)

Actually they are going for $600 AU, the new A15 that is. Still good value for a kite - that works!

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
18 Feb 2016 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Loftywinds said..

Kamikuza said..

Loftywinds said..

Porkyhorse said..
Any idea on Aus pricing yet lads?

LOL... yeah pretty obvious question that should have been answered by now...

Picture this...

"Roll up... greatest kite ever (psstt until Speed 6 comes out of course), BUT my good man.. don't let a bargain go by without checking this beauty out...
It's got profile... oooh yeah... it's got speed.... aha..... it's good contours that leave the Speed 4 in ancient history.... oh and the price my good man!? Well it's only $3,600 !!!!"

Record scratch moment.

Save yourself some money and get a Pansh for $100, so you don't feel so bad when you slam it into the water and blow all the cells out.Price is what it is--look at what you're getting. If you can't see that value, you should stay outa the thread ;)

Actually they are going for $600 AU, the new A15 that is. Still good value for a kite - that works!

"Pansh" and "works" are two words that are usually separated with the word "doesn't" or followed by the phrase "after a lot of fiddling".

You get what you pay for. But if you can't appreciate the difference between a Speed and Pants then stick with the cheapo...you can demolish three for the price of a good one.

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
18 Feb 2016 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jamesperth said..

Porkyhorse said..

....and up they go. Check again.

Apologies - My fault - GST and duty were not flowing thru correctly to the product page. As I order kites on demand, I've been messing about with my site trying to keep AUD prices accurate with current FX rates (EUR:AUD) and stuffed up my tax settings. This has now been fixed.

well if your a distro your paying 50% that price anyways so **** it.

me personally..... ill stick by my guns on 1k = 10sqm 2k 20sqm distro and 2k 10sqm 4k 20 sqm rrp if im paying inbetween those 2 im happy over it how ever, never going to happen. ill find a small sales distributer who is just hanging onto there distro rights by skin there teeth who are desperate to sell a few more kites/wings to keep there distro rights.

jamesperth
WA, 610 posts
19 Feb 2016 11:54AM
Thumbs Up

The 6m just got announced overnight. I've got a 6 in the S4 and it's a wicked little thing :). I reckon the higher AR of the S5 would amp it up even more...

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
19 Feb 2016 3:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jamesperth said..
The 6m just got announced overnight. I've got a 6 in the S4 and it's a wicked little thing :). I reckon the higher AR of the S5 would amp it up even more...

6m? Getting into trainer kite territory now?

jamesperth
WA, 610 posts
19 Feb 2016 1:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Loftywinds said..

jamesperth said..

it kinda looks like one when you lay it out. Also fills super quick :)

kernal
WA, 541 posts
21 Feb 2016 8:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Loftywinds said...
jamesperth said..

They are good for the snow and landboards

loftywinds2
185 posts
22 Feb 2016 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kookaburrahz said..

Loftywinds said...

jamesperth said..

They are good for the snow and landboards

Oooh yes they are! I wish this was my kid.

Easy stuff to get kids into. FS kites are amaaaazing.

jamesperth
WA, 610 posts
28 Feb 2016 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

Just had another great session on the Speed 5 12. It was like 13 gusting 15 knots, guys on 17's and 18's doing the walk to shame with their sectors and TT's. I was messing about trying foiling back rolls and getting crazy hang time with my 12m and KFA Mako. Heaps of fun, was pretty much jump it, crash it, flip it, relaunch it & go again. Speed V = PlayStation 4

coleman
13 posts
5 Mar 2016 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

13-15 kts and people not able to stay upwind with an 18m and a sector? Are u sure about that?

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
5 Mar 2016 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
coleman said..
13-15 kts and people not able to stay upwind with an 18m and a sector? Are u sure about that?

If 13 is the average, I'd believe it. It's the bottom number that matters...

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
5 Mar 2016 4:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said..

coleman said..

If 13 is the average, I'd believe it. It's the bottom number that matters...

Yep. I've seen guys here on a North Rhino 18m and a Zypher 17m, and neither of them could do anything other than a small down winder or static flying. Whilst I was on my 12m Pansh and keeping upwind at least - small jumps, but fun! Useless kites those North's etc. The only time they really fly is when you're over powered and struggling to keep em under control.

Porkyhorse
NSW, 23 posts
3 Jan 2017 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

So theoretically, how fast could one of these Speed 5's go on water? Take ability of the kiter and equipment out of the equation.....50Knts+?

jamesperth
WA, 610 posts
4 Jan 2017 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Porkyhorse said...
So theoretically, how fast could one of these Speed 5's go on water? Take ability of the kiter and equipment out of the equation.....50Knts+?

Not sure I understand your (equipment) question with respect to taking equipment out of the equation ?

Hydrofoil racers with race foil kites are into the 40 knot + range now (Nico Parlier on ozone r1v2 did 41knots in The Hydrofoil Pro Tour, and destroyed the Lighthouse to Leighton record avg something like 61kmh for the 20km crossing). Buggy riders on land are touching 100kmh... Speed 5 is not a race kite however, it's a fun freeride kite and isn't designed to break speed records.

Porkyhorse
NSW, 23 posts
4 Jan 2017 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

Hi James, here comes an explanation....it's a longish one.

It wasn't a straight forward question really so I'll go a little deeper into why I asked. A little background first....I have a very limited snowkite background and have spent time using Ozone kites (Access, Frenzy) and Conceptair Smartkite. I spent a day a few years back on a small (4.5m Conceptair)) kite racing along in moderate wind (15-20Knts) on a snowboard and couldn't believe how little wind I needed to travel so fast.

I didn't have a GPS logging speed and I won't hazard a guess at how quick I was traveling but realised the potential differences between friction on water vs snow. I don't have an extensive knowledge of kite design but wondered if the guys going for records are limited by the kite in any way. eg, does the kite buckle or fold at speed? Are race foils (I know the Speed 5 isn't a race kite) capable of doing the types of speed we see for current water speed records?

This brings me to my next question, and again a little background info. I spent many years (30) water skiing, wakeboarding etc and spent a good 10 years racing. The time spent behind boats at 80+mph has me curious as to how quick someone could go on a proper race ski. My take is that it would be more difficult in some respects due to the directional force at a reach but theorised that if you could bear off downwind a few more degrees, then there would be significantly less drag/friction and working against the kite.

This could possibly mean that you would need a slightly larger kite or more wind than current record holders....I'm not sure. I figured that very few people would have this type of intro into kiting and wondered if it was possible. Thinking out loud..

As for why I asked about the speed 5....I'm still grinding away and hopefully I'll be contacting you about a purchase at some point, I thought it would be an all round kite/s for use in the backcountry and on water. No use me going out and buying a race kite that would do very little for me at this point, and was simply curious about the potential for going fast on the Speed even if it simply gaining more experience.

Appreciate the info mate, Cheers.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Flysurfer Speed 5" started by jamesperth