Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Flying Objects quick release?

Created by JJGT > 9 months ago, 9 Oct 2015
JJGT
WA, 6 posts
9 Oct 2015 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

Flying Objects harnesses say they have a quick release. Photos tend to show close ups of the red plastic covered loop at the detachable hook on the spreader bar. Can anyone clarify how this is a quick release?

Thanks
J

KiteBud
WA, 1515 posts
9 Oct 2015 12:19PM
Thumbs Up

I think you must misunderstood the terminology or perhaps their terminology is misleading... It's definitely NOT designed as a quick release safety device for ''ejecting'' your harness in case of an emergency.

It's just a handle to help create leverage for easier and quicker removal of the harness. It also helps to put it on.

Perhaps they should rename this to something else...

JJGT
WA, 6 posts
9 Oct 2015 3:10PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Cbulota

Yup, that's the loop I was referring to. Thank you for the clarification. I think this is extremely misleading and potentially dangerous. I've been attaching my leash to this loop as I thought that was what it was for!

People should check safety releases prior to use, no question, but if someone were to forgo this check on the assumption that they could rip away their harness, then I would have thought Flying Objects could potentially bear responsibility for misleading people.

I came across this when trying to find a harness that had a true safety release or 'quick release' system after reading about a steering line getting caught in a caribina and the safety releases becoming defunct. Finding them a little hard to identify. Do you know if the Flying Objects pull down hook knife system is effective for coming unstuck? Assume not too many people have tried to test it as it would mean replacing the straps or forking out for a new one, but would be keen to hear from anyone with this unfortunate experience.

Cheers
J

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
9 Oct 2015 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

"Yup, that's the loop I was referring to. Thank you for the clarification. I think this is extremely misleading and potentially dangerous. I've been attaching my leash to this loop as I thought that was what it was for!"

I'm not sure how this is misleading. I doubt there is any wording that mentions safety. Also why on earth would anybody want their harness to come off whilst out in the water?

"Do you know if the Flying Objects pull down hook knife system is effective for coming unstuck? Assume not too many people have tried to test it as it would mean replacing the straps or forking out for a new one, but would be keen to hear from anyone with this unfortunate experience."

A hook knife is designed to cut your flying lines, not your harness straps.
If you really must have a safety release system on your harness, then you are looking for one of these-

KRS[i]Safety spreaderbar
The kite release system should become the standard for kitesurfing safety. This release system is always within reach on the left hand side of your harness, a location that you will always find. A pull on the handle will release the hook from your spreaderbar and you will be released form your kite. With a simple handling (3 clicks) you can reset the hook and continue your kite session.
[/i]

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
9 Oct 2015 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

3 means of release should be industry standard, mystic do a releasing spreader as well as this,

JJGT
WA, 6 posts
9 Oct 2015 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

"Not sure how it's misleading"? Isnt the name of the chicken loop and leash release devices also 'quick release'? Thanks for clarifying the hook knife, I'd prefer to ditch harness rather than attempt to sever lines if getting dragged accross a beach!

Thanks Cauncy, will look into Mystic harnesses. Assume it's a pin type situation? Good idea.

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
10 Oct 2015 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said..
3 means of release should be industry standard, mystic do a releasing spreader as well as this,

Good luck releasing that in an emergency.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
10 Oct 2015 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BrisKites said...
cauncy said..

Good luck releasing that in an emergency.

Not perfect but better than most, and much better than no option, mystic did do a detachable spreader , not sure how it went though

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Flying Objects quick release?" started by JJGT