Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Flexifoil Atom 9m (Hybrid)

Created by Danger Dave > 9 months ago, 19 Oct 2006
Danger Dave
WA, 61 posts
19 Oct 2006 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

The following are my opinions on the 2006 Flexifiol Atom Hybrid LEI.

First Session:
Wind: 13-18 knots NE
Tide: Running out against the wind 3-4 knots at max in the channel.
My Weight: 80kg
Board: 132 UG FLX 2006

Out of the bag first impressions:
Build quality is bomb proof but not overbuilt. All panels are surrounded with a dacron leader to make repair easier. Front bridal line is 3-4mm amsteel/spectra. Ronstan milled blocks used with stainless roller. Bar is low diameter good grip, oh **** handle and good depower strap with micro adjust.

C or Bow?
Actually its a hybrid as it has no pulleys at the bar and only on pulley at the kite on the centre line bridle. The rear lines attatch directly to the steering points on the kite. The trailing edge shape is more c shape althought the kite is considerably flatter than a c. Kite depowers as much as bow using a chicken loop length roughly the same as a SB or CB.

First flight on land
Upon launch I instantly noticed that the kite is very responsive to steering movements. Unlike the any of the bows with pulleys at the bar or kite, the bar has absolutely no slop. I think that even the new SB2 which has a miniscule and even unnoticable amount of steering slop is noticably less tactile than the Atom. It feels like you are holding the tips of the kite in your hand! I didn't think after flying on land for a few seconds that the kite would have enough power in the water but I was well wrong.

In the water
Definately more power than I thought. A good mate of mine was out on his 10m SB2 and he weighs 5-7kg more than I, he was planing and jumping well. I had the same power but I wasn't able to jump quite as high as my friend is a notorious weapon at big air and thats his favourite kite. I was able to jump 2-5m comfortably. I felt that after about 5 minutes I was very comfortable trying my usual bag of tricks and my timing was spot on. My previous kite was a flexifoil Fusion so it is possible that the 2 kites were manufactured with a similar feel owing to them coming from the same design camp and the cambridge institute of aeronautics.

Overall Impression
Now anyone that knows me will know that I have been flying the Flexifoil banner for many years. In the past I have worked for a shop which sells Cabrinha, North, Naish, Slingshot, GK, Peter Lynn, Liquid Force and Flexifoil. I have the opportunity to ride anything I want and year after year I choose flexifoil for no other reason than I feel like these kites speed my progression owing to their build and feel. This year will be no different. I have ridden the rebel, CB2, SB2, Airush, Link and the Flexi Atom and Ion. Without a doubt the kite I will be buying this year will be the Atom! I urge all of you to break from the "big 5" and get your hands on one of these kites for demo. A good friend of mine who is a team rider for another brand had a 40 minute sail on the 9m Atom yesterday in a gusty northerly. After one run he threw one of the sickest powered kiteloops I have seen him do. He continued to pull them larger and larger. Even with the resulting broken board in his hand he couldn't wipe the smile from his face! He, just as I, struggled to explain why this kite gives you balls to push yourself harder and harder every minute. All I can attribute this to is the feel at the bar and consistent pull that the kite delivers in even the gustiest northerly ****e. The steering is intuitive and the depower smooth.

Anything negative?
I have managed to crash the kite a few times and whilst the relaunch is excellent I still appreciate the brilliant relaunch characteristics of the Cabrinha Switchblade and Crossbow. THey are truly the easiest kites to relaunch in my opinion and are excellent options. I personally prefer the Atom as I believe it offers a slightly easier unhooked feel than the SB2 but each to his own. Although I am sure Rich Stenning will show me up horribly any day on an SB2.

Anyway not much more worth saying. Just thought I would share my elation at finding this kite and possibly urge you to give it a go in the future.

Dave out.

Damo
WA, 641 posts
22 Oct 2006 4:16PM
Thumbs Up

I haven’t been too keen on the bow/hybrid kites so far because I love the feel and performance of a C kite as well as the safety of a 5th line. That was until last Saturday when I was converted by the 12m Flexifiol Atom holy **** what a sick kite!!!

I was fully skeptical when I saw it pumped up in the shop. I took 1 look at it and thought ohh yeah its just another over hyped hybrid kite that has a lot of depower but no performance. How wrong I was!
I am so glad that I had the chance to demo it. I don’t think I have ever been so impressed by a kite it completely blew my mind away. Not only did it have massive depower and almost automatic relaunching but it also flew REALY well. The turning speed, power, hang time(and height) and stability were all far better than what I had expected. but what really blew my mind away was its unhooked performance especially the way it kite looped unhooked I have never flown a kite C or bow with such good progressive power in the turn i.e. there is no whipping when the kite kicks through the loop just a smooth consistent increase in the power and plenty of it

the build quality is some of the best i have ever seen. not too flash but practical and simple bar and lines of sick build quality too.

I could just go on and on about how sick this kite is and I wish I had time to write more about it but I don’t so if you are interested then come into SOS in freo and check it out or even demo the 9m and find out for yourself

the only thing i dont like aboiut it is that it is so much better than the kitesd that i have just bought...

anyone want to buy some near new 06 kites??? Their going cheap

wal269
WA, 718 posts
25 Oct 2006 9:21AM
Thumbs Up

Isn't the Ion out soon and according to Flexifoil supposed to be better. (or at least the high performance version)

At least this is what they said on their website.

Karve
VIC, 197 posts
25 Oct 2006 4:01PM
Thumbs Up

The Atom is based on The ION planform and is considered a sister kite to the ION with minor tweaks in stability, low end and a reduction in the number of trailing edge battens. The Ion is no longer produced, as the demand for the kite was so much that they ran out of material to produce the kites with. If you can find an Ion, you will not be disappointed either.

As the Atom is such a good kite, Flexifoil are going to be taking their time in developing the Ion 2. They want to make sure that the Ion 2 is the next level of hybrid kite. I would not expect to see the Ion 2 anytime soon.

The next kite to come out from Flexifoil is the Fusion 2 which is the Kite that helped Aaron Hadlow to his third consecutive world championships. This kite should be available early December.

Share the Stoke!!

Matt

FlyOnTheBay
42 posts
25 Oct 2006 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

So when are you opening your Atom ( bomb ) shop - danger dave

26 Oct 2006 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

I've still got 2 x 9m Ions and 1 x 7M Ion Karve.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

Deso
WA, 52 posts
7 Dec 2006 7:49PM
Thumbs Up

I am an intermediate C- kiter wit no alliances to kite companies who has bagged new flat style kites and never thought I would indulge . Traded from a Slingshot Fuel which is a nice , quick kite.
I have just purchased the Atom 9 and 12 . Only had one ride on the Atom 9 so far in 25 knts at Woodies.This kite is a really fun, lively kite ,with power you can turn on and off at will.These kites will change your perception on hybrid style kites. They have a better top end and great bottom end for loads of pop for wakestyle . Way better hang time. A real fun kite .Two other guys demoed this kite same day and it was difficult to get the kite back off them .
Cant really see the down side.
PS: I have not tried the Rebel.
Yet to try the 12.
Cheers Deso

Pedro Sexton
VIC, 116 posts
8 Dec 2006 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

Not a regular poster. Actually don't ever post. Just an intermediate kiter. Most of the time, I just like to read, learn and be entertained by these forums but had to make comment Re the Atom.

Awesome kite. Its the business. Eats gusty conditions up. Smooth simple and powerful. Highest winds i have been in are about 27 Knots so far (no exaggeration) and never once felt uncomforable (note i am about 95kg). Felt like it was begging for more. As an intermediate, kites like this (i have heard Sb2 the business too) really improve your kiteboarding as its makes it so easy to try new stuff.

But since people are really only interested in the bad i shall make comment:

- not 100per cent depowerable ( i like it that way but don't expect it to fall out of the sky)
- if your a beginner be careful of the safety system (when rigged near the chicken loop). Anyone else its the business as can pull safety and still relaunch
- Loves the strong winds. I would say there are better light wind kites. I am 95kg plus riding a 12 though.
- YOur friends will think you made a poor purchasing decision becuase your kite does not say Cabrinha, Naish, North etc. (don't get me wrong all great kites)

Cheers aye

Please note i own one so all this can be taken with a grain of salt. Seriously just go and try one and you will see. If your buying these days you can't lose as there are so many good kites on the market.

captainkaos
WA, 247 posts
8 Dec 2006 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

hey damo, what have flexifoil done on this kite to prevent the bar going up the lines out of reach when letting go of it.I mean if you want to spin the bar or take your hands off what stopper system do they have. most of the bow/hybrids i have flown are a real pain when you want to let go of the bar because the bar ends up sliding up and fully depowering the kite. the only one i had real fun on so far from 07 range was the vegus but super keen to try the atom

cheers

karl

Karve
VIC, 197 posts
12 Dec 2006 12:07PM
Thumbs Up

Guys I'm glad you are all stoked on your atoms.

With regards spinning out the bar. The kite does not have full depower on the bar sheeting range meaning that you can spin the bar without the need for a stopper. The kite has a reasonable length throw but most people should be able to reach the bar at the top of the throw. Flexifoil do make a shorter chicken loop to bring the bar closer. Also you can adjust the bowline knot under the depower strap to reduce the throw on the bar if it is too much for you.

I have been using the 15m Atom quite a bit over here in Victoria. (the kite has got a huge range I just don't need to downsize)

BoDiddly
VIC, 622 posts
12 Dec 2006 12:52PM
Thumbs Up

Hi fellas, I was lucky enough to demo the 12 and 15, and a SB2 12 all in the one day (sunburnt like a mofo afterwards but).

Have to say the following, first kite to demo was the 15, and it felt slow in the air, really wasn't all that keen on it, I mean sure larger kites are slower but it was a bit of a struggle with the 15, wind picked up more so and onto the 12 I go, now this I liked, great feel, bar length was spot on, a 45cm I think, as soon as you had the thing in the sweet spot, you could just rip, and rip it did! Relaunch was relatively easy, no big hassles there.
So after that one, I got under a SB2, and the experience was extreemely comparable. Loved them both, not 100% on what my kite for 2007 will be yet! maybe another demo of the Atom and SB2 will make my mind up for me!

Later kiters.

CAUTION
WA, 1097 posts
27 Dec 2006 5:08PM
Thumbs Up

after looking at the construction of these things i decided to just buy a 9m atom after trying heaps and reading heaps.
The one thing that i struggled to find is info on people riding sle's unhooked or hooked on surfboards (what i like to do)
most people ride twinnies and either hooked in and jumping or unhooked wakestyle.
i wanted a down the line waveriding kite that was easy to use and worked either hooked in or unhooked, and i was hoping to have 1 kite to suit all wind range of perth. A large task i hear you say, yes i agree and hadnt found something that i was fully happy with from the new kites i had tried from this seasons release.
I knew i had to either just buy something and be prepared to change my style of riding or keep riding c kites until they fall apart.
well i have only had one ride so far and have not had to change my style at all apart from having to remember to not let go of the bar...
easy as to rig, one set of knots so no trying crap to get it right.
bar is super easy, heaps of depower but chicken skin length is not too long (maybe a tad as i have to stretch to reach to power up loop, but the depower strap is an easy reach).
first few waves i rode hooked in, just depowering, then unhooked a few times and felt just as good! stoked!
so easy to use, you get a big gust or something weird happen like a big swell or you gybe badly and you just sheet out. wicked!
as damo said above, took no time at all to get used to it!
and best of all, i actually came in where i went out at scabbies on my surfboard, and thats a big ferkin deal to me cos i am hopeless ( or should i say lazy) at stayin upwind.
so yeh definitely works for me, hopefully also for others.

anyways thanks santa! (the best pressies are the ones that you buy for yourself!)

kitecrazzzy
WA, 2184 posts
27 Dec 2006 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

i dont see what the hype is about, i rode one yesterday and the positives were: DP, build, boost/hangtime, upwind and didnt crash it because i didnt think the owner would appreciate packing up a wet kite.
it didnt have insanely good aspects to it like turning speed or anything.
what i didnt like was the chicken loop (too small) although im guessing thats an option, no stopper ball, not so spinning shackle and riding unhooked felt weird and you were battling to really load up because the kite just ripped you back when you started edging.

it was a nice all round kite with insane hangtime/not too much hight although i guess that comes with practice, and good depower although still has a strap to deal with. i would recommend it to the average kiter but it all comes down to price and what you want it for.
i might be unfairly saying a few bad things about the kite because i was only riding it for 15 min max

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Flexifoil Atom 9m (Hybrid)" started by Danger Dave