Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

FireWire Vader 5'1" Review

Created by Waveswindy > 9 months ago, 3 Jun 2016
Waveswindy
NSW, 114 posts
3 Jun 2016 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 78kg, Intermediate (+10 years kiting)
Style: wave riding
Weather: 15 - 30 knots cross off shore
Waves: 2-6 ft
Build Quality: 9/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Height: 6'2"

My Comments:
I've been looking at buying a new board for sometime now and the new shorter stubbie shaped boards made a lot of sense as you dont need that much board to "catch" a wave, sharper turns, travelling and its something new.

First weekend testing the board was interesting as the conditions were tricky with gusty offshore wind and a spot I've never kited. Will definitely say you need at least 2 or more sessions before you get comfortable with the board. First session the rails rolled a little, but after adjusting my stance the second session the board was a lot more responsive and no more rolling rails.

My concerns prior to buying the board: size...@ 5'1" it almost looks like a twintwip, will it feel or turn like a surfboard and buoyancy (volume). Firstly the length was good and the board buoyant enough for jibing (although trickier than normal surfboard given the size). It turns on a dime! GoPro footage compared to the surfboard shows much sharper turns in the critical section.

Only downside, and I probably need more 3 sessions on it, is struggling with full rotation cutbacks. I usually do 180 degree turns with ease on surboards, but found on the Vader it to be a bit "sticky" and only 3/4 turns making for more of a snap than a big carve. Again, I might need to play more with fin setup and size. Current setup 3 large fins and might opt for medium quad setup. Will add some pics below.

There is good wind this weekend and will give an update after. Feel free to ask questions.

Waveswindy
NSW, 114 posts
3 Jun 2016 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

Waveswindy
NSW, 114 posts
3 Jun 2016 1:38PM
Thumbs Up

richswing
WA, 724 posts
3 Jun 2016 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

Ja Boet, it's a kief board, when are going to break so I can have that one?

Waveswindy
NSW, 114 posts
3 Jun 2016 2:16PM
Thumbs Up

I dont think this board....touch wood.... is breakable!

What do you use for sticking old board decks / grips on? I tried using a newish second hand back pad grip (2 months old) but it washed off after 30 minutes I used KwikGrip Waterbased as per the instructions and it is the recommended glue on many forums.

Brohan
VIC, 528 posts
3 Jun 2016 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

Try running the board as a quad set-up, I have a 5'3 Vader and it feels better then the thruster.

Waveswindy
NSW, 114 posts
3 Jun 2016 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

@brohan - that is exactly what I am going to do. Just need to buy those little quad fins..... Always preferred the 3 fin setup (bit more loose), but with the wide tail on this board I suppose a quad makes more sense. Whats fins do you have on yours?

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
4 Jun 2016 8:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
EugeneZA said..
Only downside, and I probably need more 3 sessions on it, is struggling with full rotation cutbacks. I usually do 180 degree turns with ease on surboards, but found on the Vader it to be a bit "sticky" and only 3/4 turns making for more of a snap than a big carve. Again, I might need to play more with fin setup and size. Current setup 3 large fins and might opt for medium quad setup.

I have been surfing (not kiting) a 5'1 and have found the opposite. The board rotates effortlessly when turning vertical off the lip. It's incredible. As for cutbacks watch the videos of Stu and Tomo how they pull their cutbacks all the way round. The short length allows easy rotations.

The consensus with these boards is your back foot needs to be right at the back, near the plug. The tail pad needs to be as far back as possible.

I only had my 5'1 for a couple of months and it snapped. (LFT not kite construct)

Brohan
VIC, 528 posts
4 Jun 2016 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

I have two Rob Machado signature fins on the front and then a mate just gave me two small white plastic ones at the back, works well :).

Livit
WA, 542 posts
6 Jun 2016 4:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
EugeneZA said..
@brohan - that is exactly what I am going to do. Just need to buy those little quad fins..... Always preferred the 3 fin setup (bit more loose), but with the wide tail on this board I suppose a quad makes more sense. Whats fins do you have on yours?

Doesn't make sense, 4 fins will always be looser in turns as the second set of fins catches the turbulence generated by the first set.... On the other hand they are faster down the line (less drag).

Definitely agree with Bene for the cutbacks all the way round, you have to get your back foot right at the back.

richswing
WA, 724 posts
9 Jun 2016 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

I think tri fins have more drive, get bigger side fins. I have not been impressed with a quad setup yet.

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
10 Jun 2016 4:20PM
Thumbs Up

The board has plenty of drive, no need for quad unless you want better upwind ability perhaps.

The channels through the tail act like fins themselves. Usually wide tail board = quad fins but not in this case.

Run thrusters and put your foot right on the back. This board was made to surf vertical!!

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
10 Jun 2016 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

This is the video. Watch his cutbacks.

Wobbles
NSW, 29 posts
14 Jun 2016 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

hey EugeneZA, where do you kite when its cross off to off shore. No spots around newcastle but am keen to kite some of your secret spots. Do you surf the tomo board as well or just kitesurf it. Im looking for a board to do both. Currently I kite and surf a slingshot verve 2 but looking for a smaller board that surfs and kites good but also fits in my ute tub. A 5'1" board would probably do it.

rwtaaffe
NSW, 92 posts
14 Jun 2016 3:45PM
Thumbs Up

Hey todd8154
Have a 5'6 Evo and it fits in the back of my Ute (small Suzuki Sierra), so anything 5'6 and under should fit in your ute.
I kite my Evo as well and really like it on lighter days, would like to ride a smaller one on windier days

Waveswindy
NSW, 114 posts
6 Jul 2016 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
todd8154 said..
hey EugeneZA, where do you kite when its cross off to off shore. No spots around newcastle but am keen to kite some of your secret spots. Do you surf the tomo board as well or just kitesurf it. Im looking for a board to do both. Currently I kite and surf a slingshot verve 2 but looking for a smaller board that surfs and kites good but also fits in my ute tub. A 5'1" board would probably do it.

Hi Todd, there are only two spots in NSW to my knowledge that you can kite in Westerly or even NW (Very off) for wave riding. That being said, I can unfortunately not reveal as this was shown to me by locals who asked to keep it hush hush.... I believe I've said enough ;-) Google maps....

In terms of board for kiting and surfing. Make sure you buy the Vader kitesurfing construction - check the volumes. I would not receommend my size as it is only 23 liters... except if you are kelly slater. I just bought a tomo evo 5'6" = 33 literes for surfing. Check the firewire site, but I think you would need a 5'3 or 5'4" for surfing and kiting depended on weight.

I tried the quad setup and to my amazement and disbelief the board went next level. It was insane. I did much better turns and the board felt a lot more stable under my feet. I think it might have something to do with the wide tail. I bought medium quads. Will see if I have some pics. Feel free to ask questions. I've had about 9 sessions on this board with half tri setup (large) and the other quads Medium.

Waveswindy
NSW, 114 posts
6 Jul 2016 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"FireWire Vader 5'1" Review" started by Waveswindy