Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

FIREWIRE Evo- Kite version Surfboard

Created by Ryland > 9 months ago, 25 Nov 2016
Ryland
WA, 1222 posts
25 Nov 2016 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

My new go to board!!!!! been riding this for the last few weeks and WOWWWW!!!! what a weapon. great in light winds with early plaining, great in high wind due to being smaller and more manoeuvrable in length than a traditional surfboard and a good weight- not too heavy like alot of sh!tty production boards alot of companies are popping out and not too light when it gets windy and choppy. i got the 5'1 which is (24.5ltrs) and at around 90 kg is perfect and i wouldnt go any bigger for an everyday board for me. lighter riders under 85kg might even go smaller? great for airs and great in small surf to medium surf. havent had a chance to use it in big stuff yet but will give it a crack as soon as i get the chance. definitely a board to put on your list and Tomo is the shaper everyone is trying to copy. construction seems pretty tuff too- extra glass means it will last way longer and is specifically designed for kiting with extra strength! contact your local firewire dealer to get your hands on one!!!

!

rwtaaffe
NSW, 92 posts
26 Nov 2016 8:20AM
Thumbs Up

I agree with Ryland that they are a great kitesurf board.
I have been riding a 5'2 non kite version that I bought second hand and is awesome board.
I have creased the deck and had it repaired (carbon patches on the deck) and keen to get a kite version asap.
I weigh 80+kgs and it is by far the smallest surfboard I have kited/surfed.
IMO around that 25litre volume is spot on for my weight.
Demo one if your in the market

TomW059
183 posts
26 Nov 2016 6:23AM
Thumbs Up

There's other boards out there like the Evo. Admunson John-o was there before Evo.

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
26 Nov 2016 10:01AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Ryland, how does the Evo go - compared to the Vader mate ?

KPSS Used
NSW, 372 posts
Site Sponsor
26 Nov 2016 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

We have stock of the 5'3 and 5'1 Evos in store - great boards!

omg
276 posts
26 Nov 2016 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone care to weigh the boards, please?

Thanks!

Ryland
WA, 1222 posts
27 Nov 2016 6:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
toppleover said...
Hey Ryland, how does the Evo go - compared to the Vader mate ?

Hey mate for me it has a more traditional surfboard feel to it. Not as parallel of an outline but still a lot of similar characteristics to the Vader and vanguard- but for me feels better in more conditions. Those huge channels from nose to tail push a heap of air under the board and give it a heap of lift and takes to the air super easy. Has 5 fin option- I prefer it as a thruster set up for me , in saying that I do prefer thruster set up generally over quad on most boards.

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
28 Nov 2016 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

Be careful not to oversize these boards.

I had the 5'2 LFT Evo and it was too big for me to paddle surf. 68kg plus 3/2 suit. I then picked up a 5'1 vader, perfect size for me paddling. Now kiting a local shaper's version that's even smaller at 4'11.

Don't let the length fool you with these boards!

KPSS Used
NSW, 372 posts
Site Sponsor
28 Nov 2016 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
omg said..
Anyone care to weigh the boards, please?

Thanks!

5'3 Evo was 3.1kg blank when I weighed one just now

TomW059
183 posts
1 Dec 2016 11:17PM
Thumbs Up

3,1 without pad or fins?

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
4 Dec 2016 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TomW059 said...
3,1 without pad or fins?

Yes blank means board only, no fins/pads ect.
It's no light weight, more of a middle weight

I want one

vendeavours
VIC, 361 posts
4 Dec 2016 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
toppleover said...
TomW059 said...
3,1 without pad or fins?

Yes blank means board only, no fins/pads ect.
It's no light weight, more of a middle weight

I want one

Sorry for me that is too heavy 2.4 klg surf board weight would be better Then you could have less volume But it is a sick looking board

bjw
NSW, 3568 posts
5 Dec 2016 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like you need to lose 700g. Then you'll love it.

Ryland
WA, 1222 posts
6 Jan 2017 7:12AM
Thumbs Up

i actually find the weight perfect for kiting- especially when its a standard 20-25 knots here during summer. still light enough to throw around and enough weight to not skip around on wind chop. i still can't ride anything else at home now as its good in everything I've ridden it in. definitely try this lil beast and in kite construction is pretty much indestructible.

wishy
WA, 1501 posts
6 Jan 2017 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like a strapless twintip with thruster setup fins!

Leighbreeze
WA, 531 posts
7 Jan 2017 4:09AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Ryland
Thanks for the great wrap on the Evo.
What size and type of fins do you prefer.?

Ryland
WA, 1222 posts
8 Jan 2017 8:20AM
Thumbs Up

Been running a thruster set up mostly mate and using bigger fins than I normally would. They can handle heaps of speed and power so I've found good to over fin more than I normally would as the board creates a fair bit of lift too from the bottom curves so gives u a lil extra bite. In saying that I want to play around with some quads in it abit but at the moment I'm running 3D fins in a size 6 and been working a treat. Only problem with the board is getting your hands on one- most shipments are selling before they land.

Leighbreeze
WA, 531 posts
9 Jan 2017 4:13AM
Thumbs Up

Ok thanks Ry,yep I ordered a 5'3" for my
97kgs.Should be here next week any luck.
Was thinking larger fins also.Cheers

Leighbreeze
WA, 531 posts
14 Jan 2017 11:08AM
Thumbs Up

Yep can agree that the Evo cuts through the waves like a hot knife through butter.Super smooth but lively with the Large Futures Firewire Tri set up. Scored two good lefts a my local plus a few more.Swapped over to a quad set up for today's session .Hoping for improved upwind to stay on the peak.I have the 5'3" just big enough
in volume for my 96kgs.

Gone to dark side
NSW, 379 posts
14 Jan 2017 2:48PM
Thumbs Up

Good to here let us know how it goes as a Quad as I just picked up the 5' 3" and no wind here in Sydney. Tail pad on as far back as possible Tick. Just taken my north fins off my north wam board Quad on Tick. Wax in car just to find location to place deck pads on tick . But no wind

Leighbreeze
WA, 531 posts
15 Jan 2017 4:30AM
Thumbs Up

Yep Quad Fin set up,better upwind still fast and lively.What a nice little board.Scored a Slater
Rear pad with ridge works fine.Rest of the deck I added a product called Nowacs.Hardly any additional weight added with deckgrip.Comes in 20x40cm sticky back sheets.Its semi clear silicone based thin sheet with grip.Works a treat.Really stoked with the Evo.Pocket rocket:))
Feet never felt like slipping.Was tossing up with the front deck pad but Nowacs fixed that.Using it on my surfboards also.Great product so far.

Ryland
WA, 1222 posts
15 Jan 2017 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

Will have to check that nowacs product. Sounds good

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
16 Jan 2017 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

Any 75kg kiters on the Evo?
What size for a light wind board, starting at about 13 knots??

rwtaaffe
NSW, 92 posts
16 Jan 2017 11:51PM
Thumbs Up

IMO if your looking for size to weight.
4'10 if you were roughly 75kgs
5'1 if you were roughly 85kgs
5'3 85kgs or over

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
17 Jan 2017 8:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
rwtaaffe said..
IMO if your looking for size to weight.
4'10 if you were roughly 75kgs
5'1 if you were roughly 85kgs
5'3 85kgs or over

Thanks rtw,
The way I see it for someone at 75kg is...
4'10 for good wind
5'1 light wind
5'3 paddle + kite

Decisions, decisions.

Ricardo1709
NSW, 1301 posts
23 Jan 2017 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

What's the volume on the 5'3?

KPSS Used
NSW, 372 posts
Site Sponsor
24 Jan 2017 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ricardo1709 said..
What's the volume on the 5'3?

27.5L. I can paddle it easily at 80kgs so it's a good option for someone who would like a 1 board travel quiver. Normal volume rules do not apply to Tomos. My normal shortboard volume is 29-30L depending on wave size/power/board shape. I have paddled the 5'2 Vanguard (22L) as well and was able to surf that no problem so that goes to show you how different these boards are - no way I could get waves on a standard shortboard @22L.

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
24 Jan 2017 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

Minimum volume in litres for paddle is 33% of your weight in kgs. That is what most people (who can surf well) are paddling these boards at.

My Vader was 22.9L and I'm 68kg plus wetty = 33%. This is the magic formula. Going bigger is a hindrance rather than a benefit in these boards. I had a slightly bigger Evo and it just didn't surf well.

You may think this is low volume but it's a relative thing. These boards have 100% usable volume. A standard shortboard has a nose with 2-3L of volume which is not used.

I just purchased two standard shortboards while I was in Indo - both 26L - so this is my usual paddle volume.

Adfreetv
VIC, 114 posts
25 Jan 2017 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

Can I fit straps to the Evo (kite version)?

KPSS Used
NSW, 372 posts
Site Sponsor
25 Jan 2017 3:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Adfreetv said..

No, they are meant to be strapless boards. You can use the NSI Surf Skim pads which we stock (and the owner uses on his Vanguard etc) or you can get inserts glassed into the board (not a great option but it does work).

Adfreetv
VIC, 114 posts
25 Jan 2017 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
KPSS Used said..

Adfreetv said..

No, they are meant to be strapless boards. You can use the NSI Surf Skim pads which we stock (and the owner uses on his Vanguard etc) or you can get inserts glassed into the board (not a great option but it does work).

Thanks mate

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"FIREWIRE Evo- Kite version Surfboard" started by Ryland