Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Epic screamer v Nitro 6

Created by PRAWNDOG > 9 months ago, 13 Feb 2017
PRAWNDOG
WA, 306 posts
13 Feb 2017 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

They are marketed similarly as a big air freestyle all round kite and have a similar profile. Keen to hear from anyone who has tried both kites for a bit of a comparison.

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1869 posts
21 Feb 2017 3:07AM
Thumbs Up

If they can build a kite to perform as good and refined as the Screamer - It'll be my next purchase !!

Had the Nitro V2 - Excellent build Quality and held great shape, similarly marketed but flew like a Pig...
I must try the Nitro 6 - see if they've got it together yet - whos got some in Perth ??

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
21 Feb 2017 8:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SaveTheWhales said..
If they can build a kite to perform as good and refined as the Screamer - It'll be my next purchase !!

Had the Nitro V2 - Excellent build Quality and held great shape, similarly marketed but flew like a Pig...
I must try the Nitro 6 - see if they've got it together yet - whos got some in Perth ??

I liked the Nitro3, bought a Nitro4 and didn't need like it. Felt quite different...I'm betting the 6 will be different again :D

Screamer compares to what other kite?

...just hate the Epic bar...

PRAWNDOG
WA, 306 posts
21 Feb 2017 7:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SaveTheWhales said..

My thoughts exactly, Epic look cool but the price of the au at the moment makes it pretty $$. Would be awesome to hear some feedback of someone having flown both kites, hopefully you can get your hands on one save the Wales

shi thouse
WA, 1133 posts
21 Feb 2017 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

Can't comment on the Epic, however have recently picked up a Nitro 6 in the 10m. So far have only used it twice so not overly keen to "review" the kite fully.

I sold my Nitro 5 in that same size and got the 6 as I just couldn't get my head around the 5. I have the Nitro 4 in a 14m and 8m and love this version, so I was secretly hoping that the v6 was more like the v4 than the what the v5 was. It just seemed to not align in my head when I then hopped onto the Nitro 5 after being on the v4.

Build quality like always with the Nitro is brilliant, to the point where I don't believe there are any kites out there that have a superior build quality and hence reckon it is on a par with the "big" brands.

The wing tips on the v6 seem to be raked back further and the leading edge on these points also look more refined. I don't know what it is but the kite appears to have a squarer look to it in the air...maybe even more of a C shape to it than the previous models.

As I said previously, early days but it has good stability to it, handles the gusts beautifully and so far jumps feel good.

I am not going to w@nk on about a smoother landing on jumps or bigger air(marketing hype), 'cause at the end of the day it comes down to how well you load, send and land the kite.

Relaunch was something that they said they had improved...nah, I don't think so. It doesn't land in the water and then want to sit up on an edge ready for relaunch. Like usual, you have to use a bit of effort to get it up on an edge and bring it around. I'm used to the Nitro so that doesn't bother me.

Will post more when the wind plays a bit more favourably.

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1869 posts
22 Feb 2017 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

The new Screamer bar looks good - but dont like straps... one day huh.

The Switch bar grip feels like a rasp file.. 3mm boom grip makes it all day ride able..

shi thouse
WA, 1133 posts
22 Feb 2017 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

Where do you get your 3mm boom grip? My Cabrinha bar grip is going to sh!t and I have tried to glue it down but it is still lifting.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
22 Feb 2017 2:57PM
Thumbs Up

I got some adhesive backed decking grip for yachts... Still needs glue though.

But yeah, the new fancy padded grips are good at trashing hands. Look nice though!

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1869 posts
22 Feb 2017 3:47PM
Thumbs Up

I bought the boom grip from Surf n Sail in perth. But any windsurf shop might have some.
I bought 2mm first, excellent grip but not quite thick enough for that comfy feel.
The 3mm for my second and third size bars - perfect.
To simplify applying - keep everything square, and make 2 separate halves if you dont need to cover hole. Otherwise one length and do not cut holes out till after its dry.
a small tin of sticker or glue removal from bunnings for final clean of hard bits. Use contact glue, (not the waterproof one, doesnt set properly)
Can post a few pics to help if not sure which ones :)
Watch utube on windsurf boom re-gripping.

shi thouse
WA, 1133 posts
23 Feb 2017 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^yes please, post pics as I intend to go down the same pathway.

Cheers

Kit3kat
QLD, 139 posts
10 Mar 2017 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

any more info from this shootout? Vey interested in this.

Chris_M
2129 posts
10 Mar 2017 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

I just got my Nitro 6 delivered this morning, and took it out in nuking 25+ knots :)

Got a 9m, although I cant compare it to a Screamer (never tried one) I can confirm that the Nitro 6 is an amazing kite - boosts massive, loops nicely and has heaps of float and lift.

In fact it was so good, it almost felt like I was cheating! I'm gonna put it out there and say that it was one of my best ever kiting sessions, and it was my first time I had it out of the bag.

Very happy customer (Icing on the cake was I ordered it needing it in a hurry and it took less than 1 and a half days to get to me, so I could catch the end of the storm that I exploded my other 9 on 2 days ago)

Chris_M
2129 posts
10 Mar 2017 3:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris_M said..
I just got my Nitro 6 delivered this morning, and took it out in nuking 25+ knots :)

Got a 9m, although I cant compare it to a Screamer (never tried one) I can confirm that the Nitro 6 is an amazing kite - boosts massive, loops nicely and has heaps of float and lift.

In fact it was so good, it almost felt like I was cheating! I'm gonna put it out there and say that it was one of my best ever kiting sessions, and it was my first time I had it out of the bag.

Very happy customer (Icing on the cake was I ordered it needing it in a hurry and it took less than 1 and a half days to get to me, so I could catch the end of the storm that I exploded my other 9 on 2 days ago)

Oh yeah and it only cost a grand! How awesome is that!

PS not a brand pimp although it probably sounds like I am haha

billykiter
WA, 302 posts
14 Mar 2017 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris_M said..

What was the previous 9m? The one that exploded?

snalberski
WA, 857 posts
14 Mar 2017 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris_M said..

Did you notice any tendency for the wing tips to collapse when loading hard or looping? I have a Nitro3 10m that despite all efforts to correct it folds like fanny rag when I loop it or load it hard. The kite is very used but even so it gives me the screaming sh1ts, so much so that I am reluctant to buy another Nitro.

PRAWNDOG
WA, 306 posts
14 Mar 2017 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

Strange I thought the five struts would help this, precisely the reasons I want to upgrade my dice

shi thouse
WA, 1133 posts
14 Mar 2017 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^Agreed on that one, at 110kg if anyone is going to collapse a wing tip it is going to be my fat arse being dragged around by the kite. My Nitro's v4 and v6 have never shown any of these traits. In fact it is this exact characteristic of no warping that I am looking for, hence only going for a 5 strut kite like the Nitro. I have used 3 strut kites, like the Lithium and although a good kite, would never go down that pathway as it can't handle my weight and the force being placed on the kite when loading it up.

Must be the model or age of kite.

Chris_M
2129 posts
15 Mar 2017 2:49AM
Thumbs Up

@billykiter my previous kite was an old 2012 torch, snapped the line that holds the 2 front lines, and self rescued in the waves from about 800m out. When I got it to the beach I found that it had also sprung (another) leak. Glad to see it dead now.

@Snalberski Didn't notice any wingtip folding, it was solid as. Nitro V3 is quite old now, there have probably been heaps of tweaks since then. The spider bridle on the V6 looked pretty interesting, but I reckon it made a difference. In saying that, I also a Nitro 4 12m and that's what I'm comparing it to. But kinda hard to compare a 12 to a 9. They have a 30 day right of return if you don't like the kite you ordered which makes it pretty much risk free I reckon.

Cezar
VIC, 270 posts
23 Mar 2017 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Hi I'm going to order kite/bar nitro6 the total is $1200 the order from HK may attract duty if above $1000 they warn us can someone tell me if any duty is indeed payable, thanks

Greenarrowz
NSW, 301 posts
23 Mar 2017 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

Ive bought 2 nitros in the last 2week's and 7 kites all up from Switch.

Ask Felix (Felix Pevic) to tell warehouse to send the kite separately to the bar....
They are happy to do this but make sure you tell them as soon as you checkout.

While your in the checkout leave the nominal declaration empty.

This way it stays under 1k and does not attract any duty.
1/2 price bars atm are hard to resist.
Smiles all round.

RossOtr
12 posts
27 Mar 2017 6:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PRAWNDOG said..
They are marketed similarly as a big air freestyle all round kite and have a similar profile. Keen to hear from anyone who has tried both kites for a bit of a comparison.

to compare .. 'switch kites' to 'Epic" in my opinion is the difference between a carrot and a peach ... try them both and you will experience the difference ... !!!

PRAWNDOG
WA, 306 posts
27 Mar 2017 4:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RossOtr said..

PRAWNDOG said..

to compare .. 'switch kites' to 'Epic" in my opinion is the difference between a carrot and a peach ... try them both and you will experience the difference ... !!!

we're comparing flying characteristics between kites not fruit here haha. Have you flown either kite, just want to know how either of these two kites fly as they are both five strut (I'm a bigger guy, so want a kite to hold its shape under load), have a similar outline and are marketed the same lol enjoy your peach

Macster
VIC, 276 posts
27 Mar 2017 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cezary said..
Hi I'm going to order kite/bar nitro6 the total is $1200 the order from HK may attract duty if above $1000 they warn us can someone tell me if any duty is indeed payable, thanks

New bar about to come out. Current controller 3 is a dog and has many flaws. You can modify the bar to make it functional and safer if need be though for $40.

Macster
VIC, 276 posts
27 Mar 2017 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Greenarrowz said..
Ive bought 2 nitros in the last 2week's and 7 kites all up from Switch.

Ask Felix (Felix Pevic) to tell warehouse to send the kite separately to the bar....
They are happy to do this but make sure you tell them as soon as you checkout.

While your in the checkout leave the nominal declaration empty.

This way it stays under 1k and does not attract any duty.
1/2 price bars atm are hard to resist.
Smiles all round.

Just nominate a value of $900 during the checkout process. It is a standard checkbox when you buy from them.

Macster
VIC, 276 posts
27 Mar 2017 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris_M said..
@billykiter my previous kite was an old 2012 torch, snapped the line that holds the 2 front lines, and self rescued in the waves from about 800m out. When I got it to the beach I found that it had also sprung (another) leak. Glad to see it dead now.

@Snalberski Didn't notice any wingtip folding, it was solid as. Nitro V3 is quite old now, there have probably been heaps of tweaks since then. The spider bridle on the V6 looked pretty interesting, but I reckon it made a difference. In saying that, I also a Nitro 4 12m and that's what I'm comparing it to. But kinda hard to compare a 12 to a 9. They have a 30 day right of return if you don't like the kite you ordered which makes it pretty much risk free I reckon.

You wont bend the Nitro 5 or 6. I am 95 khs and have looped, loaded and jumped the hell out of the kite. It is solid and doesnt bend.

Small print on the return policy is that you have to send it to the USA and it cost my friend $80...

Macster
VIC, 276 posts
27 Mar 2017 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

Happy to provide an unbiased review on the Nitros if anyone wants. If you are in Melbourne you can demo mine too.

Send me a PM as I dont post on Seabreeze forums anymore.

UTB
26 posts
28 Mar 2017 4:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macster said..

cezary said..

New bar about to come out. Current controller 3 is a dog and has many flaws. You can modify the bar to make it functional and safer if need be though for $40.

Would you be able to elaborate on the issues and the fix?

snalberski
WA, 857 posts
28 Mar 2017 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

Replace the swivel with a ozone trimmer bracket

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1869 posts
3 Apr 2017 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

Does any have a Nitro 6 i can demo in Perth ?
The Screamers have being going big and megalooping hard from day 1 !!!
The nitros have been absolute crap in the past by 'owned' comparison..

Comparing kites that look similar is a pile of Crap - a hundred different kites will look similar and fly a hundred different ways - duh.

NorthernKitesAUS
QLD, 1061 posts
3 Apr 2017 12:07PM
Thumbs Up

Why are we comparing Apples with Pears?

Switch kites are nothing compared to the Epic. It's like comparing the old SS Link with a North Evo

PRAWNDOG
WA, 306 posts
3 Apr 2017 10:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NorthernKitesAUS said..
Why are we comparing Apples with Pears?

Switch kites are nothing compared to the Epic. It's like comparing the old SS Link with a North Evo

Why are we talking about fruit again............ For fork sake were talking about kite characteristics/performance, someone give the kiwi a nitro 6 to try

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Epic screamer v Nitro 6" started by PRAWNDOG