Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Duotone Pro WHIP (sounds like icecream) 5'2 review

Created by AndreC > 9 months ago, 1 Feb 2019
AndreC
WA, 512 posts
1 Feb 2019 7:55AM
Thumbs Up

Ok just going to say it WTF is Duotone is it a paint company or are they selling sex toys?? Duotone WHIP (sounds like icecream)

So apparently writing reviews means kite stores are more likely to leave their gear with you to try. Not sure how long I can milk this for but its certainly fun trying out different boards and kites. Have to give a shout out to to Darren at Action sports for not calling the police yet and being an all round good guy.

The actual Review starts here:
So I am once again disputing electronics in scales but it sais I am north of 90kgs sporting a sexy Dad bod. I grew up surfing and kiting will always revolve surf for me. Been kiting for around 10 years

THE WHIP
On first looks its kinda pretty except its a cut off design like the Firewire Tomo who incepted these style modern planing hull designs to the mainstream. I have ridden the EVO several times too so I have some comparisons to make on that too. Once you get over the look of a cut off nose its all about how it feels/performs in the water. Looking at it I am thinking will it grip and hold and pull tight turns?? Its got a deep double channel vee style bottom and a 3 fin steup. The channels concern me at first as they can get unbalanced in choppy conditions...we will see.

The Ride - STraight away when you get on this board its stable, fast and loose...sounds like a perfect date so far. Its very much point and shoot. On flatter sections it glides like a fish and allows smooth cutback transitions .....when the wave stands up and you need to go vertical to the lip it re directs with very little effort. (Maybe that cut off nose and short rail make sense now) On harder turns I found I could put my back foot right back into the footpad kicktail and drive hard turns and snaps. My concerns over the channel are averted as the vee bottom and deep channels actually create drive and hold on its relatively wide tail. OK now I am thinking how does this thing launch...with the wide nose, parrelel rail and flatter rocker I know it will most likely want to pop. I am by no means an air master but I have been following boof head Ryland Blakeny around watching him throw some ridiculous downwind airs strapless/unhooked and half cut. SO I have been practicing and starting to land more consistently. I have ridden Rylands Evo a few times and its a punt machine. The Whip is the same lively fast and like a skateboard on water. Boosting and landing are made easier on this platform due to its short stable platform and thats the way its promoted. Well done dildo tone you have delivered what you have promoted.

Whos this for- Look it pleases a fussy surfer like me and surfers are a fk*((g bunch. But anyone asking me about getting off a twin tip into the waves and not having had much surfing background I would be recommending this board it just allows you to point shoot and glide with a sh^^&&&tload of fun.

Construction -Its weight is well balanced and its not heavy or to light...it retains flex and performance but is also its construction is really well developed apart from Firewire we are finally seeing a real performance production board in a strong construction. FK it only took 10 years. The cork inlay under the glass is great I can feel it dispersing shock the whole time whether going through chop or landing from an air protecting my old man knees and also the board when landing on it full force.

Conditions- this board will work in 85% of most commonly kited 1-4ft wind waves and aussie beach breaks. ALso its a great lightwind wave board because you can surf it more with less kite input and the plaining upwind is is stellar.

Price is around 1K which is fair for this amount of construction and also I feel like you would get at least a few seasons from this board and be able to sell it at the end too.

Negatives - Ummm look maybe there will be incremental improvement on the shape but really I don't have any negative comments I even like the grip front and back (yay no wax)

Upwind -9.5
Lightwind -9
Hold - 8
speed -9
construction -9

Its the most user friendly board I have ridden... I think they have done a great job on this board. I liked it more than the EVO actually which is an amazing board also.

Shout out to aloysius parker photography great shot.

Alysum
NSW, 1024 posts
2 Feb 2019 1:00AM
Thumbs Up

Also recently got this board and loving it. Incredibly stable which is great for tricks and jumps. Great looking board super light, just forget the silly Duotone paint name (maybe that's why the bottom has cool graphics )

Wouldn't say its that fast especially compared to Firewire boards. It does bounce a little at the front in chop but that's acceptable

Just beware if you put front pads on, put them way forward. On the subject of front pads it's really strange you can't get a matching pattern and thickness as the tail pad like you used to with North.

Am I the only one that ever complains about the D logo on the tail pad being uncomfortable under my foot? Have the same issue on my North Nugget

Definitely won't be my last Duotone board.

adidak
WA, 1 posts
3 Feb 2019 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

Good review mate - half cut ??

Livit
WA, 542 posts
4 Feb 2019 7:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AndreC said..

Construction -Its weight is well balanced and its not heavy or to light...it retains flex and performance but is also its construction is really well developed apart from Firewire we are finally seeing a real performance production board in a strong construction. FK it only took 10 years. The cork inlay under the glass is great I can feel it dispersing shock the whole time whether going through chop or landing from an air protecting my old man knees and also the board when landing on it full force.

construction -9

Do you know what makes it strong? Your Firewire had parabolic paulownia rails, that you can find on HB surfboards and on Sunovas (balsa). These are notoriously light and strong.

The whip doesn't appear to have parabolic rails, does it?

AndreC
WA, 512 posts
5 Feb 2019 2:18PM
Thumbs Up

Its got glassed grooves or channels which double as rail grab these would create parabolic strength...they are heavier than FW boards but this can be good for kiting as the new helium construction by Firewire is Sooo light. Better to ride and try boards to see if they suit

AndreC
WA, 512 posts
10 Feb 2019 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

One thing it would be good if Dildo Tone would bring out a size Large fin. The medium is too small for me or most guys over 80KG its especially noticeable in the WAM. The fin is a good weight and flex just not big enough. The multi boxes although take FCS and Futures they dont fit as snug and sit a bit loose in the box. Even 2 large in the sides with a small centre can feel nice to loosen a board up but give it hold at the same time.

Alysum
NSW, 1024 posts
12 Feb 2019 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

I'm the opposite, I'd like smaller fins for jumps and tricks. There should be an option for fins...

AndreC
WA, 512 posts
21 Feb 2019 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

Holds a rail nice makes 1ft wind waves fun like skateboarding...especialy if the waves aren't steep it really keeps speed through flatter sections...but can jam vertical when you want pretty easily.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Duotone Pro WHIP (sounds like icecream) 5'2 review" started by AndreC