Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Delamination of North boards (WAM 2015 5'8)

Created by aleamodio > 9 months ago, 10 Nov 2015
Jonopark
WA, 399 posts
16 Nov 2015 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

Hate to say it but I have seen 3 delams on brand new north boards (scabs, xxx and lanos). Dudes at scabs and xx were pissed but the chick at lanos (who I lent my old Mat Manners board to for a lano to wedge downwinder) spoke to the guys at wasurf (or one of the Roko shops anyway) and was assured a replacement (literally first session). All were 2014 or 2015 boards also.

P.S These boards are all over 1000!!! Sugarcube does boards at 600. Wade up at lanos does customs at 650 and Dave does epoxy at 750 (last time I got one). WHY would you go north?

aleamodio
WA, 23 posts
24 Nov 2015 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

The question is finally over. North has recognised the warranty for my board and yesterday I received the payment for the refund. The first email with photos was sent to the dealer the 26 October, about four weeks ago. I have few points that I want to make to define the conclusions of this story and identify the lessons that could be learnt.

-First of all I genuinely think that my board had a construction/material defect and I thank a lot North and my dealer to have supported my thesis.
-However, I think that four weeks is not quick enough for a good customer service; especially because they haven't changed the boards, which means that there are not freight delays involved in the process.
-I found quite annoying that during this process I had most of the dealers supporting a theory where the surfboard cannot be cover by warranty unless you keep them in the garage and they break by themself. Nobody had even tried to give me a technical explanation to my questions, which could justify the board being broken in such a way. I can understand that dealers can't be selected based on technical knowledge but I also think that a quality customer service should also provide technical support, capable to answer technical questions from the customers.

Now, I can finally look for another board. Any suggestions?

kiter63
45 posts
24 Nov 2015 10:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
aleamodio said..

I'll say the same thing Jonopark says above, go custom. I've never regretted it and the boards have been bomber.

herbyburger
WA, 300 posts
24 Nov 2015 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

Unless they've got got good lawyers and insurance I don't think anyone would be keen to shape you a board!

marco
WA, 314 posts
24 Nov 2015 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jonopark said..
Hate to say it but I have seen 3 delams on brand new north boards (scabs, xxx and lanos). Dudes at scabs and xx were pissed but the chick at lanos (who I lent my old Mat Manners board to for a lano to wedge downwinder) spoke to the guys at wasurf (or one of the Roko shops anyway) and was assured a replacement (literally first session). All were 2014 or 2015 boards also.

P.S These boards are all over 1000!!! Sugarcube does boards at 600. Wade up at lanos does customs at 650 and Dave does epoxy at 750 (last time I got one). WHY would you go north?

Exactly Jono.....support local shaper.

My friend had two North boards and both had issues. The other day I a had to rescue a guy who snapped a line on brand new 2016 North Bar. My comment, typical North quality. I have seen already some broken 2016 Pro series.... My guess, they will get the record this summer in broken boards, because how the build.

mazdon
1196 posts
24 Nov 2015 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
aleamodio said...

You got the result you wanted and you're still complaining?

Quit water sports and take up golf.

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
24 Nov 2015 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
herbyburger said..
Unless they've got got good lawyers and insurance I don't think anyone would be keen to shape you a board!

I strongly disagree. I sent this guy a PM as everyonewas bagging him out. Any decent shaper knows the weak points are the rails on a surfboard. Not knocking North but any manufacturer that tucks the glass into the middle of the rail to save money is asking for trouble. The board flexes as it should and the board cracks as theres no glass to reinforce the resin. Surfboard 101.

Aleamodio, get the payment, go to Katana in Osbourne Park since youre in Fremantle.Talk to Dave Smith and order a board. Buy a $200 PU board while you're waiting for your custom board to be shaped, go buy yourself a nice bottle of your favourite poison and you'll still have money from your refund.

Disclaimer: I went to school with Dave. He is a master-craftsman with anything Watersports. He has made windsurfers, Mals, high performance surfboards and his own boat since I've known him. He also shreds in the surf.

aleamodio
WA, 23 posts
25 Nov 2015 8:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dave...... said..

herbyburger said..

I strongly disagree. I sent this guy a PM as everyonewas bagging him out. Any decent shaper knows the weak points are the rails on a surfboard. Not knocking North but any manufacturer that tucks the glass into the middle of the rail to save money is asking for trouble. The board flexes as it should and the board cracks as theres no glass to reinforce the resin. Surfboard 101.

Aleamodio, get the payment, go to Katana in Osbourne Park since youre in Fremantle.Talk to Dave Smith and order a board. Buy a $200 PU board while you're waiting for your custom board to be shaped, go buy yourself a nice bottle of your favourite poison and you'll still have money from your refund.

Disclaimer: I went to school with Dave. He is a master-craftsman with anything Watersports. He has made windsurfers, Mals, high performance surfboards and his own boat since I've known him. He also shreds in the surf.

Thanks Dave. I will take your advice.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Delamination of North boards (WAM 2015 5'8)" started by aleamodio