Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Dakine Fusion History

Created by CrashTestOZ > 9 months ago, 25 Feb 2015
CrashTestOZ
QLD, 75 posts
25 Feb 2015 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: Weight 95kg, 6'2", Level (intermediate)
Style: Freeriding
Weather: 20-30 knots
Build Quality: 10/10
Satisfaction: 10/10
Disclosure: I am not related in any way to Dakine or any kiteboarding stores. Just a bored kiteboarder waiting for the wind.

My Comments: I have learned to kiteboard on a Dakine Fusion seat harness and last season replaced it with a newer model. I love the Dakine Fusion seat harness. For anyone else interested and using the Dakine Fusion harness here is a history of the harness I tried to put together.

kevinwd1
QLD, 125 posts
11 Mar 2015 11:41PM
Thumbs Up

If you use your harness alot and get more than three months out of it before it falls to bits you’re doing ok. Dakine don't seem to mind relacing harnesses under warranty which is a good thing. I’m on my 4th warranty replacement. Also check your spreader bar they tend to break around the welds. They are a very comfortable harness and give good support for people like me with dodgy backs they just don't hold together for very long.

Sandfoot
VIC, 566 posts
12 Mar 2015 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

Kev, what year and model da kine harness fell apart?? Was it replaced under warranty ? Txs

kevinwd1
QLD, 125 posts
12 Mar 2015 11:27PM
Thumbs Up

2012 and 2013 models. I haven't done alot of kiting lately so the latest harness has lasted about a year. I have had 4 harnesses replaced under warranty so I can't complain too much. If you have one of these harnesses make sure you check the spreader bar as they tend to break where they have been welded. This hasn't been a problem lately as the harness has been replaced under warranty on a regular basis with new spreader bar

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
13 Mar 2015 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

I've had 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2013 models... that gives you some idea of how the quality has fallen, IMHO. The latest model I have, looks like it was ready to be replaced within a few months.

So far, my 2014 Mystic Star still looks like it's brand new.

... and let's not talk about spreader bars :o

Sandfoot
VIC, 566 posts
14 Mar 2015 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

I've got 2002 xt from windsurfing and the 2005 fusion for kitesurfing and they are both still going strong ????? I would say around 500 sessions approx each.

Maybe Da kine changed manufacturers around 2010 ??

Scottie Lit-tle
QLD, 89 posts
20 Nov 2015 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

Started kiting in 2004. Bought the 2005 fusion seat. Spreader bar lasted till 2009, so i bought the 2009 fusion seat. The stitching and material started to break apart within a few months so i put the new spreader bar back on the original 2005 fusion and am still riding it now... thou getting nervous about the spreader bar failing. My opion is that when billabong :( bought out dakine around 2008, they changed the factory where the fusions were made. I had always ridden with dakine snowboard gloves in early 2000's. lasted forever till around 2008 when i bought some new ones to have them fall apart quickly... Argh billabong.

snalberski
WA, 857 posts
20 Nov 2015 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

I use the Dakine Nitrous. The first one I had only lasted about 3 months - the cinching straps wore through super quick and the harness was replaced. With the second one I started using a pivoting hook and it is still going after 2 years and heaps of use.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
20 Nov 2015 2:16PM
Thumbs Up

I've got a 2015 now too. More comfy than the 2012 which was the most comfy model. But still the straps are wearing and pulling the material...

JacobMatan
WA, 431 posts
23 Nov 2015 9:03AM
Thumbs Up

I am thinkng about getting a dakine harness to use with my home made sliding spreader bar as a local shop has some on special, they are probably 2012 or 2013 is this a bad idea I am a little worried about quality and longevity

CrashTestOZ
QLD, 75 posts
13 Dec 2015 7:35AM
Thumbs Up

I had the 2007 and I still own the 2013 Fusion. I never had any problems with the spreader bar or stitching or any other quality issues. The only thing that ever happened was fluf creating from the Velcro power strap that just needed some trimming. I love the fusion, most comfortable seat Barnes I tried. I also have the 2015 Dakine Pyro with the lever lock spreader bar and once again no issues in quality.

gdownie
NSW, 141 posts
15 Dec 2015 7:36AM
Thumbs Up

Been used my 2009 and getting around 3 really hard seasons out of it.
Only thing I've found with heaps of jumps over that time is eventually a bar strap breaks.
Was so happy with that model i purchased 2 extras at $100 each when i had seen them going cheap.
On my 2nd one still but looking dodgy now.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Dakine Fusion History" started by CrashTestOZ