Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Caution Mayhem

Created by TheGuy > 9 months ago, 21 Jun 2008
TheGuy
14 posts
21 Jun 2008 9:21AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone ridden the Caution Mayhem yet?? Looks sick, but I'm keen to hear from somebody who has them.

skiddz
NT, 237 posts
21 Jun 2008 1:55PM
Thumbs Up

I've ridden one

Positives:
Felt good, direct back line attachments makes the kite responsive with good bar pressure
Jumps really high, lots of hangtime
Unhooks really well, had no trouble doing my limited arsenal of unhooked tricks on it
more than enough depower on it

Negatives:
The bar wasn't too great, but it did the job. It was functional, I just didn't really like it all that much
The graphics look a bit....

Overall a nice kite, one I would consider if i was buying a new kite

riddim1
QLD, 147 posts
21 Jun 2008 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

G'day TheGuy

Background:
I test rode pretty much all the main brand kites last summer and decided on the Mayhem after my first 30 minute go. In short, it suited my particular riding style to a 't'. I like wakestyle and most of my tricks are unhooked with some kiteloops. I am getting into surfing as well with long, downwinders. I have always ridden c-kites and wanted to switch to something safer and a 1 kite quiver. I purchased an 11m Caution Mayhem. I am 82kgs and ride a 135X43 twintip and a 6ft2in thruster

Positives:
This kite turns super fast compared to other kites of the same size and even some 10m kites I tried. It does not overpower me unhooked as with some other SLE kites I tried. Sending the kite gets you v high and I have started doing some board offs for the first time which is fun. Unhooking is done with ease especially sheeted in as it slows the kite down making wakestyle easier and more forgiving. Surf riding for me has improved 2 fold due to the speed of the turns and looping. Once on a wave I depower the kite and it sits just out of the window until I need it. One inflation/deflation point is fantastic. Bar is very simple (I rode Fuels before) and the feedback is exactly how I like it, medium, and I know where the kite is with my eyes closed. There is not much throw on the chicken loop but there is enough depower when you need it and suited my requirement of having a safer kite. I have had sessions staying upwind with 12kts all the way up to 30kts. unbeatable Performance verse cost.

Negatives:
Very difficult to relaunch below 10knts
Still not as good as a c kite when it comes to unhooked wakestyle tricks.
Kite flaps around at the wingtips a little in gusts.

Hope this helps a bit.

note: This review was not meant to be discriminatory to any sensative soles out there or persons owning other kite brands, its just some critical feedback.

Caution Kite
QLD, 9 posts
24 Jun 2008 8:39AM
Thumbs Up

Always good to hear feedback from riders. Caution will also be releasing a new Hybrid aimed at learners for 09.

But for now here is a cool vid, enjoy-

riddim1
QLD, 147 posts
25 Jun 2008 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

Its great to finally see some freestyle riding on the Mayhem. Thanks for that......keep it coming.

Cheers

wonnakite
NT, 40 posts
29 Jun 2008 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic kite!

TheGuy
14 posts
4 Jul 2008 3:32PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for your responses. Guess I will have to test ride one.

Caution Kite
QLD, 9 posts
17 Jul 2008 10:34AM
Thumbs Up

Another vid. This one is on construction-

walshd
SA, 601 posts
17 Jul 2008 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

oh, naught naughty!!

larks head connections to the pulleys.

Tisk tisk!

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
22 Jul 2008 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

Not if it works.

We have had no warranty claims in the years we sold Caution.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Caution Mayhem" started by TheGuy