Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Cardboards new lace up straps preview

Created by Card > 9 months ago, 5 Jan 2009
Card
QLD, 77 posts
5 Jan 2009 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys just thought i would give a sneak peek at what we have coming out shortly.

Our new laceup straps (backless bindings). At first, I was a little skeptical with these as I really didn't think they would suit my style of riding. My first couple of sessions (underpowered on a 13m) left me with a so so kind of attitude towards them, until I had a decent ride - well powered on my 9m. I was so impressed with their comfort and hold on my feet, any other strap done up as tight as I had these would have given me foot squeeze in no time. Really simple to adjust from a loose freeride feel to a nice tight wake binding feeling.

Best news of all these will be available as an option when you order one of our boards at no extra cost!

Cheers Dan
Cardboards

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
5 Jan 2009 11:16PM
Thumbs Up

Looks good. What are the straps going to cost on their own and when will they be available? Wouldn't mind giving them a test compared to LF ones I have on my cardboard at the moment.

grogamanda
VIC, 53 posts
6 Jan 2009 12:56AM
Thumbs Up

I would be interested in a price and availability as well.

cheers

R

sk1nner
VIC, 181 posts
6 Jan 2009 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

when might shortly be...this might change the choice for my new board.

Card
QLD, 77 posts
6 Jan 2009 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys we should have a small shipment in a week or two, it will only be a limited number untill the full shipment arrives later this month.

Will let you know when they arrive.

Cheers Dan

general_dude
WA, 150 posts
8 Jan 2009 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Dan,

Is there anywhere in Perth someone can demo a Cardboard board???

I've seen all the rave reviews, but need to have at least a little bit of a try before buying.

Thanks

rents
5 posts
8 Jan 2009 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

Dumb question. Will these fit on an Underground FLX 132?

I find the board great but the standard straps are frankly, ****. I haven't played with any adjustments and it's the only board I've owned so I'm not sure on cross compatibility.

Thanks

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
9 Jan 2009 12:58AM
Thumbs Up

The cardboard pads have a narrow attachment so I suspect they won't. The screw go through the pads themselves like the naish thorn.

tobes
NSW, 1000 posts
9 Jan 2009 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

If the rumours are to be believed, Underground will have a 'binding' strap coming out with the new 2009 boards in a few weeks.

HowieD
NSW, 88 posts
11 Jan 2009 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

rents said...

Dumb question. Will these fit on an Underground FLX 132?

I find the board great but the standard straps are frankly, ****. I haven't played with any adjustments and it's the only board I've owned so I'm not sure on cross compatibility.

Thanks

The Cab Sync pads will fit on your UG board. I replaced the standard pads with the Syncs and am pretty happy with them. But as others have mentioned Underground are rumoured to have their own full foot coverage strap coming out soon. Might be worth hanging out to see if they're the biz or not.

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
2 Feb 2009 4:33PM
Thumbs Up

Any news on these Dan?

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
10 Feb 2009 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

Bump. Has anyone heard any more news on these yet?

Card
QLD, 77 posts
10 Feb 2009 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Saffer, we had small shipment in but it only just covered boards on back order, we will have the full shipment soon.

Cheers Dan

sckitesurf
QLD, 191 posts
12 Feb 2009 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Finally got my boards in the shop, they look good. The demo board with the new footstraps has been a hit on the beach, So comfy! I have just ordered 2 more boards for some guys that tried them & loved them. Sorry to say, I also had to take the straps off the demo board to put on a new board for a customer that tried them & loved them as well as the board. He had just bought a new board from another shop, one of those boards from china & was so impressed with the Card board he had to have it "NOW"
These boards & footstraps will be a must have. so comfy it's like your not wearing footstraps. Felt odd at first but after 10-15 mins I had to look down to see if the footstrap was still on! "So Comfortable".

Richtw
4 posts
16 Feb 2009 11:34PM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone know if Dan @ Cardboards is around at the moment? I e-mailed him a couple of times but no reply!

Thanks

Rich

walshd
SA, 601 posts
17 Feb 2009 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

sckitesurf said...

Finally got my boards in the shop, they look good. The demo board with the new footstraps has been a hit on the beach, So comfy! I have just ordered 2 more boards for some guys that tried them & loved them. Sorry to say, I also had to take the straps off the demo board to put on a new board for a customer that tried them & loved them as well as the board. He had just bought a new board from another shop, one of those boards from china & was so impressed with the Card board he had to have it "NOW"
These boards & footstraps will be a must have. so comfy it's like your not wearing footstraps. Felt odd at first but after 10-15 mins I had to look down to see if the footstrap was still on! "So Comfortable".

Can the neoprene tongue move about like the Syncs? Or is it stitched inplace.

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
17 Feb 2009 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

the tongue is adjustable for overall size and width, and is held in place flexibly by the neoprene that attaches to the bottom of the straps )where they go under the pads) and by velcro (that should be released as you adjust them) to the strap body just under the laces.

in my four or five sessions so far they've been super comfy and the tongues haven't moved at all even though i was constantly stacking and putting feet in and out.

sckitesurf
QLD, 191 posts
17 Feb 2009 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

To answer Walshd. The tongues are adjustable, the neoprene tongue is folded under the foot pad & screwed into the board through the pad for maximum hold, but there is also velcroe on either side of the tongue so you can actually stretch the neoprene or push the neoprene tongue forward or backward, whilst your laces are undone & the top strap is held open. Then position the velcroe to the top strap & that will maintain either a large or small, forward or backward position of the tongue before tightening the laces.

caseyguids
SA, 80 posts
17 Feb 2009 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

Do these straps simply replace the velcroe straps on the current pads? (I ride a tempo quad) or will you be required to buy whole new pads and straps?

Any word on the prices yet? Does anyone know where these can be demo'ed in Adelaide?

sandblaster
QLD, 32 posts
17 Feb 2009 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

To answer Richtw, I think Dan has recently moved his Cardboard factory to a bigger location which is keeping him pretty busy. Dont even see him much on the water these days which is a pity cos he's one hell of a kiter.
Anyway a couple of days ago he said unfortunately there appears to be some supply problems but will inform when the lace ups arrive.

caseyguids
SA, 80 posts
5 Mar 2009 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Dan, any new word on these bad boys yet?

milko
NSW, 604 posts
20 Mar 2009 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

I got to have a little play with the new straps that just turned up on a mates CB.. these straps look great.. i bought some syncs when they first came out and hated them.. so i was a little sceptical but CB has done a much better job..the tongue does not float around like the syncs. which was my main issue with them..However I don't think they will last as long as the old style straps..and you need a degree in engineering to get the damn things on and off so if you like playing around with stances which there is very limited options good luck.. one more thing is they use metric hex for the pads and handle and imperial for the fins... whats the go with that ???? Anyway there the bad things about them IMHO.. I ride a 2008 underground and i would buy one of these Cardboards in a second...not saying its better. i just think its a very very nice board... well done CB..

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Cardboards new lace up straps preview" started by Card