Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Cardboards Tempo

Created by Card > 9 months ago, 27 Feb 2008
Card
QLD, 77 posts
27 Feb 2008 4:15PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys

I would just like to give a little review on our tempo range of boards.

We have been developing this board for about a year now and I have to say, I love it. I’m about 100kg and mix my riding style up as much as possible, wake, speed , downwinders etc, and have found this board incredibly versatile.
When we first started testing on this range i was a little worried about the negative effects of the increased rocker.
This worry was short lived as these boards totally kicked butt. They are fast with incredible control and have the best pop I have ever experienced in a board. They are easy to land, carve well and even hold their own in the surf.

My 137 has had the s#*t flogged out of it (that’s my job) and still rides better than ever.

Our Tempo range of boards if fast catching up to our Freeride range in popularity, we have had many customers e-mail and phone after riding their Tempo with nothing but excitement.

For intermediate to advanced riders that are looking for an all-round board you should strongly consider one of these.

For anyone heading to the Nationals at Elliott Heads I will have a couple up there for demo.

Cheers Dan
Cardboards
www.cardboarding.com

harrytesties
133 posts
28 Feb 2008 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

i was tossing between the freeride and the tempo 137, am stoked with the freeride, when i kill it, i'll try the tempo....

Skinner
ACT, 55 posts
3 Mar 2008 10:57PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Dan,

Can you give a little bit of detail as to why someone might choose a Tempo over the vanilla Freeride?

I got a freeride a month or so back but it seems my receipt of the board has caused a nationwide lull, so I've not really been able to try it out (except one very marginal day where I reckon I gained about 2kts on my old board's bottom end, which i was very happy about).

I'm not looking to change, just curious - for those of us who have to contend with the ocean a bit more rocker never goes astray...

Sk

sunseeker
QLD, 1203 posts
11 Mar 2008 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

I bought a Tempo 137 last week from Sunshine Coast Kiteboarding and have ridden it 3 times now in the surf.

The first time was in very light wind in the surf on a 10m switchblade. The board handles light wind conditions well. I was worried the extra rocker would work against me in light wind but it seemed to plane really well.

Second and third time - 18 to 25 kts - quite big surf and choppy at times but also some flat smooth sections with some nice kicker waves.
The board is so easy to carve and will definately take my riding to the next level. I would describe myself as an intermediate rider. The pop is amazing and it handles the chop really well.

I also love the details. The graphics are good, the footstraps are the best I've used and the footpads feel great underfoot.

ran
VIC, 333 posts
12 Mar 2008 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

mine rocks. simple

cjcos2
VIC, 37 posts
25 Mar 2008 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

I had an '07 Freeride 133 and was looking at the '08 Pro and Tempos.

Bought a 130 x 39.5 Tempo on Ran's recommendation about a month ago.
Love it. Great pop, solid landings, holds well through chop, and the new footpads and straps are the best i've tried.

Am still thinking that a size in between the 130 and the 137 Tempo would be nice?

Cheers, Carl.

Card
QLD, 77 posts
28 Mar 2008 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys, thanks for the positive comments! Yep, the tempo has really taken off! They have now passed our Freeride in terms of sales!

The main difference between the Tempo and Freeride is the rocker line and flex pattern. The Freeride is designed to give an easy, smooth, effortless ride (more flex absorbs all the lumps and bumps in the water but it can also make the board feel a little lifeless to the more advanced discerning riders). Whereas, the Tempo has a little more of a 3 stage rocker and is slightly stiffer (basically this increases the boards pop and gives easier landing on powered moves).

We recently heard of a high profile rider (sponsored by another kite board Co) taking a 137 Tempo for a ride and getting back to the beach saying “F@#k that’s the best board I’ve ever ridden, Cardboards are so underrated!!” Not sure how he came up with the ‘under rated’ part, but maybe there’s a bit of a myth, ”for $849 it couldn’t possibly be any good!!!” I say don’t ask us why our boards cost less, ask the others why they are so expensive!!

I have attached a photo of a proto 09 model Tempo 130. We have been testing this quad concave base against the standard Tempo double concave. The results have been excellent. They are smoother, hold through the turns even better, and the top end of the board is insane - these are now available on request.

Cheers Dan
Cardboards
www.cardboarding.com

felixk
QLD, 312 posts
28 Mar 2008 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

they look awesome! I might make the switch myself with my next new board

Baz
NSW, 205 posts
30 Mar 2008 9:53AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Dan,
There seems to be a parallel in design paths between Cardboards and Underground. For example bottom shapes went from single concave, to a concave with a centre spine and now to a three spine design. It happened again when the cores changed from foam to wood. My perception at the moment is that Underground release a design or change, it is soon followed by Cardboard. Is there a link between the two companies?
Constant winds,
Baz.

Card
QLD, 77 posts
30 Mar 2008 3:01PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Baz

No there is no affiliation between Cardboards and Underground at all; I guess we have very similar ideas! We based the hull of the new Tempo (pics above) more off the Cabrina Custom as this style of hull is more suited to wake style rockered boards (Our Tempo). I suppose you could also ask Underground who they are affiliated with considering these designs have been out in other brands prior to the release of their new range as well!. A lot of people try to compare us to Underground but the reality is that we look at everything that is on the competitive market and if we believe it would work and we can implement it into our designs we will give it a try. Our original designs and ideas came from Tarifa in Spain whilst we were a kiting holiday 6 years ago. Our freeride range will not change to the Quad hull as we have found the double concave to be more suited to beginner/intermediate style riding.

With regards to the timber core I think you will find that the vast majority of brands have moved to timber in one way or another, we only run a full linear PVC foam core in our light wind boards (Glide range) now as they are not generally punished as hard!

Cheers Dan
Cardboards

COL
NSW, 550 posts
31 Mar 2008 1:13PM
Thumbs Up

Hi there Dan
"Our freeride range will not change to the Quad hull as we have found the double concave to be more suited to beginner/intermediate style riding."

Just surprised by this comment. By what's been said, the freeride will remain the choice for beginner, intermediate or for waves. The Tempo is more for wake style.
I'm an advanced wave kiter, always looking for more bite in turns.
Still you're advising, stick to the freeride, correct?
BTW
At 75kg my last yrs 138x41 freeride as a light wind board, is brilliant
Cheers
COL

Card
QLD, 77 posts
31 Mar 2008 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Col

Glad to see you like the 138.
For next season we are starting to categories board ranges more individually. However just because i have stated its beginner/intermediate does not mean its limited to this only, advanced riders will still get a lot from the freeride range its just a more user friendly board. Its more of a guide line for the style of the board.

Quote "Still your advising stick to the freeride correct?". Both Tempo and Freeride ranges work well in the surf, i personally prefer the Tempo as i like a more rocked board in the surf where some riders prefer a flexy flatter board which would be our freeride. Its all personal preference at the end of the day.

Just remember we are custom board builders, so if you did want a flatter flexy board with quad concave or a stiffer rocked board with single concave etc this is no problem. Just shoot us a e-mail and we can sort it.

Cheers Dan
Cardboards

graceful
WA, 773 posts
31 Mar 2008 2:54PM
Thumbs Up

been riding my 138 free ride for half this season after i lost my other board,great great board,imo itsalso good for wake style so cant wait to try the new tempo

COL
NSW, 550 posts
1 Apr 2008 1:02PM
Thumbs Up

This is all very interesting. My only comments on my board would have been- The freeride 138 carves surprisingly well for a big board. The centre spine is definately a big plus. However, coming down off big sections can get pretty dicy with catching the nose, but I wouldn't dare call that a criticism as the board planes up so early.
Cheers
COL

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Cardboards Tempo" started by Card