Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Cardboards 2011

Created by Card > 9 months ago, 3 Aug 2010
Card
QLD, 77 posts
3 Aug 2010 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys

Here is a bit of a peek at our 2011 boards, for this season we will be releasing a production line of boards along with our customs.

We have 6 models.

"Pro", our top of the line freestyle board.

"Tempo", our Wakestyle boards.

"FR", our freeride boards.

"Tyro", entry level.

"Wave", Mutant style wave board.

And our light wind boards the "Glide".

These will be available from selected retailers throughout Oz.

I will give more details on each board model over the next few weeks.

Cheers,
Dan
Cardboards

1likeBJ
WA, 152 posts
3 Aug 2010 4:15PM
Thumbs Up

Dan,
Will there be demo boards in Perth? Where and when?
Custom runs still every week?

Card
QLD, 77 posts
3 Aug 2010 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Mate, yep there will be demos in Perth, looks like Jason at west oz kiteboarding and maybe Darren from AKS will be our dealers for Perth.

Yes Custom boards will still be done weekly.

Also forgot to mention our new warranty, Tempo, FR , Pro and wave all have 3 year breakage warranty!!

Cheers,
Dan

Adrenalin Rush
QLD, 876 posts
3 Aug 2010 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

Thats a great warranty. Well done Cardboards, great Australian company, and the products are actually made here as well, from Australian materials.

max14
SA, 220 posts
3 Aug 2010 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Dan, this may have already been posted somewhere else so please don't crucify me if it has but is it possible to get a custom stance and insert width done, for example if u wanted to put a pair of boots on a board. My new ronix boots have a 6inch spacing on the inserts... Ps nice look on the new production boards :)

1likeBJ
WA, 152 posts
3 Aug 2010 11:17PM
Thumbs Up

Inserts are 6" this year I think:
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=63133

Card
QLD, 77 posts
4 Aug 2010 8:20AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Max

No problem doing custom stances, and yes our new boards have 152mm spacing so any standard pad/strap setup will fit.

Cheers,
Dan

pro merc
NSW, 300 posts
4 Aug 2010 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

im really looking forward to these new boards!
3 year breakage warranty, wow!
i think supporting aussie brands is key

waxman
SA, 1390 posts
4 Aug 2010 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

Nice

Rhys McClintock
NSW, 995 posts
6 Aug 2010 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

I got to ride the new 131x40 and 136x41 FR today :) Rode them back to back with the Carved Imperitor 4 134, Underground Styx 135 and the Balance 135 Wide.

Nice looking boards - matt finish all over which is a huge plus for me, I hate smudge marks on boards... Nicely shaped channels on the bottom - square tips - and it's quite light.

Quad concave or 'Qattro' as Cardboards call it - smooths the chop nicely without making the board tooooooo spongy... Rides like all quad concave boards, soft landings and a bit draggy in the light wind.

Flex is pretty stiff, not Slingshot stiff, but stiffer than an Underground. Gives it good, sharp pop out of the water and keeps it riding fast.

Fins are a different shape to what we see on most twintips, rounded outline and quite a thin profile, The 135 has 50mm and 131 has 40mm, Good combo's - boards aren't too skatey, or too grippy. Landings are soft and the concaves help to get the board tracking again. the 50mm in the bigger board tended to catch a bit easier of course.

The footstraps are comfy too, stiff on the uppers today, but they'll soften over time as they get used. Lots of adjustment to make them bigger, and fitted snugly onto my size 8 feet at the tightest they go.

Rode upwind ok, not amazing but not bad. The same as an Underground FLX would...

It's got a nice cruisy feel, suited for the guys who are just happy to jump, do the odd kiteloop transition and blast about in the chop. Good price too at $900 with the 3 year warrantee, puts it competitively within the board range.

If you're looking to replace an old and battered board - or upgrading from your learners board - the 2011 FR would be a great choice. If you want a performance upgrade for more pop, or faster riding - you best choose something like the Tempo or Pro.

Few pics for you all:

Card
QLD, 77 posts
9 Aug 2010 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Rhys, yep the FR is designed for the everyday rider, it covers a wide range of riding styles and conditions.

For the more dedicated wake style rider our Tempo would be the preferred option or if you like a fast freestyle board our Pro.

Here's a pic from the boys up FNQ (compliments of Bretto from windswell Port Douglas) on recent trip to lizard Island, apparently the Tempo was a real head turner.

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
9 Aug 2010 11:50PM
Thumbs Up

so would the freeride be something to look at . i am ~95kgs , beginner to int looking to upgrade my board .

Card
QLD, 77 posts
10 Aug 2010 11:27AM
Thumbs Up

Hey dusta, the FR boards are a great choice for intermediate riders, and wont hold you back when you want to advance into more aggressive riding like kite loops, unhooking etc.

Cheers,
Dan

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
10 Aug 2010 11:19AM
Thumbs Up

and being a fatty at ~95ish would you suggest 138 ?

Card
QLD, 77 posts
11 Aug 2010 8:53AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Dusta, the sizes differ from last years. The new sizes are not yet up on our web site.

The sizes for the 2011 FR boards are 128x38 131x40 136x41 and 141x42 i would recommend the 141 for you.

Where in WA are you?, i will see if we have a retailer that can help you out.

Regards,
Dan

kite killer
NSW, 114 posts
11 Aug 2010 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^ What sizes do you offer for the 2011 Tempo?

Card
QLD, 77 posts
12 Aug 2010 8:08AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Mate, The Tempo will be in the similar sizes to last years, 130x40 135x41 140x42 and we are going to do a 145x43 for the big fellas.

There has been many changes to the tempo, we have re-worked the outline a little giving slightly wider tips, a new more pronounced rocker line and concave to give a more wake feel and stiffened the board up a bit. Most importantly these changes have not made the board slow, we have have had riders doing GPS speed runs on a 135 Tempo of around 36 knots, that's pretty good for a wake style board!

Cheers,
Dan

treedweller
QLD, 59 posts
14 Aug 2010 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

any pics of the Pro and what stance width options on the production boards?

Card
QLD, 77 posts
16 Aug 2010 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

Hi, we are doing the final touches to the pro, should have some pics soon.

Stance widths are Pro boards 660/610/560 FR are 620/580/540 Tempos 620/580/54 and slightly wider for the larger boards all these are measured center to center.

Regards,
Dan

Gorgo
VIC, 4911 posts
16 Aug 2010 11:53AM
Thumbs Up

Hi

Can you tell us more about the Wave mutant? Bottom shape? Light wind and upwind performance?

I am looking at a mutant as an allround board with emphasis on light wind upwind riding and bashing around in onshore slop and surf. I am a bit tired of lugging two TTs and a surfboard on trips down the coast so a one board quiver would be good. I want the option of riding it backwards if I need to rest my legs or if want to boost a big jump off a wave on the way out and my toeside jumping technique is not so good.

The other board I am looking at is the Mako King.

BTW My most used board is my custom lightwind TT 135x48 that you guys made for me a few years ago. It's great in lightwind with a big kite or stronger winds with a small kite. It's quite fun in small, clean waves. Not so great for carving slashing turns in sloppy surf.

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
16 Aug 2010 2:01PM
Thumbs Up

Gorgo said...

Hi

Can you tell us more about the Wave mutant? Bottom shape? Light wind and upwind performance?

could you also include details of rail shape, rocker(is it directional?),core material used(is it all wood), whether the footstraps can be mounted straight and offset, fin size and style(can you get surf style fins for this?) the back fins look like a thruster setup is this true?

Also is it possible to have a custom size made like 155 x 44
Thanks

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
16 Aug 2010 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

guys best bet is to ring daniel . Called him last week before ordering the board and much easier than just posting questions on here like i was . Eagerly awaiting my board and hoping that daniel packages up some wind and sends it to WA

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
16 Aug 2010 4:46PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,

AKS will be placing an order for demo and stock in the coming weeks when we start getting some wind. We should have a decent number of demo boards soon.

Cool to have some "home grown" products on our shelves alongside of our North and Airush boards.

Bring it on, we're stoked!

KH

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
16 Aug 2010 4:49PM
Thumbs Up

Kitehard said...
when we start getting some wind.

whats this wind thing you are talking about. The only way i can get up on the board atm is to get behind the boat and pretend i am at leighton

Card
QLD, 77 posts
18 Aug 2010 8:20AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Guys, the Wave is mutant style, it has 2 50mm nose fins and a thruster setup with 80mm surf G10 fins. The hull shape is double concave and the rails are thicker shaped soft rails through the mid section through to hard in the tail.

we will not be doing custom sizes on the wave board unless we have the demand for it.

Cheers,
Dan

Here is a pic of the base with tail fins. Sorry its a low res pic!

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
18 Aug 2010 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

can't wait to see what my FR with the squared graphics looks like :)

getting impatient

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
18 Aug 2010 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

Card said...

Hey Guys, the Wave is mutant style, it has 2 50mm nose fins and a thruster setup with 80mm surf G10 fins. The hull shape is double concave and the rails are thicker shaped soft rails through the mid section through to hard in the tail.

we will not be doing custom sizes on the wave board unless we have the demand for it.

Cheers,
Dan

Here is a pic of the base with tail fins. Sorry its a low res pic!

looks like a sweet board. Is the rocker directional or symetrical?

littleretz
SA, 18 posts
19 Aug 2010 12:51AM
Thumbs Up

rode my new FR 131 on the weekend. great pop, minimal splash in chop, and super fast! cant wait for my 135 tempo. iiittttttccchhhing!!

Bloody nice boards and aussie made - even better!

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
19 Aug 2010 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

littleretz said...

rode my new FR 131 on the weekend. great pop, minimal splash in chop, and super fast! cant wait for my 135 tempo. iiittttttccchhhing!!

good to hear you like the FR , i'm waiting on a 136 FR to arrive sometime soon and hopefully with a package of wind with the board

waxman
SA, 1390 posts
19 Aug 2010 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

littleretz said...

Cant wait to see you ridding in boots. Might take some getting used to, but i think your going to love them

Can i take the 135 tempo for a ride Retzy, I will look after it promise.

5 more weeks in this boot and its going to be on[}:)]

littleretz
SA, 18 posts
19 Aug 2010 2:49PM
Thumbs Up

waxman said...

littleretz said...

Cant wait to see you ridding in boots. Might take some getting used to, but i think your going to love them

Can i take the 135 tempo for a ride Retzy, I will look after it promise.

5 more weeks in this boot and its going to be on[}:)]

i love you waxy....but where did you end up when your english classes started at school!!!!

Cant wait to get in the boots either.....cant wait for you to be back on the water....funtimes on the way yeewwwww!!!
and your 2nd to use the board!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Cardboards 2011" started by Card