Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Cabrinha durability

Created by Dave T > 9 months ago, 10 Jan 2018
Dave T
WA, 34 posts
10 Jan 2018 7:22AM
Thumbs Up

Interesting to read this post in the latest Seabreeze email: Extreme Durability Testing with Cabrinha & Nick Jacobsen

www.seabreeze.com.au/News/Kitesurfing/Extreme-Durability-Testing-with-Cabrinha-Nick-Jacobsen_12693803.aspx

I then went out yesterday afternoon in 16 knots at Pinnas and one of my Switchblade panels ripped from trailing edge to leading edge and then along the leading edge and I didn't even crash it.

Maybe it was the stress of flying it in the 24+ knots the day before!

Hey Cabrinha and Dave Hastilow, forget Nick Jacobsen, if you want your kites tested properly for durability, send them to me!!!

Gateman
QLD, 409 posts
10 Jan 2018 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Seen axactly the same thing happen on a 2017 Best TS a few weeks ago. Was flying, gust hit, kite ripped LE to TE and along the LE bladder ..... turns out he noticed a 3mm very small rip the day before and did nothing about it. Also, I noticed the next day during setup he was using his board to secure his larger kite with the fins down..... (fins can get sharp) this probably caused the initial tear. If you' going to put your board on your kite, always face the foot straps down and not the fins.

Lambie
QLD, 738 posts
10 Jan 2018 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Tears from Le to Te ?? We are led to believe the recent kites are all using double rip stop fabric - that sounds very 'warranty' to me!!

Richoa
NSW, 478 posts
11 Jan 2018 8:22AM
Thumbs Up

**** happens, its what they do about it that counts. How old was the kite?

Adam'KiteRepair
NSW, 331 posts
11 Jan 2018 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lambie said..
Tears from Le to Te ?? We are led to believe the recent kites are all using double rip stop fabric - that sounds very 'warranty' to me!!

A: Good luck getting a warrenty out of Best these days.

B: Ripstop does not mean, will not rip.

C: Most brands are on to 4D, double is a bit old now

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
11 Jan 2018 8:49AM
Thumbs Up

slinngy still used the T2. they recon its still the best.

Dave T
WA, 34 posts
11 Jan 2018 7:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lambie said..

2016 kite - any warranty would only be 12 months, but local Cabrinha store in Melville, WA have organised to fix. Going to cost $150... maybe the kite gods are telling me I need a new kite!

Select to expand quote
Gateman said..
Seen axactly the same thing happen on a 2017 Best TS a few weeks ago. Was flying, gust hit, kite ripped LE to TE and along the LE bladder ..... turns out he noticed a 3mm very small rip the day before and did nothing about it. Also, I noticed the next day during setup he was using his board to secure his larger kite with the fins down..... (fins can get sharp) this probably caused the initial tear. If you' going to put your board on your kite, always face the foot straps down and not the fins.

I have never put my board anywhere near my kite for that exact reason. Only ever used harness / handfuls of sand to secure kite.

Select to expand quote
kemp90 said..
slinngy still used the T2. they recon its still the best.

I ended up going out on an old (2011) Switchblade - still going strong although not looking its best anymore - they don't build them like they used to!

Woott
WA, 127 posts
11 Jan 2018 8:02AM
Thumbs Up

Construction is better these days. 2016 kite tearing like that mid air, can only happen if you damaged it at some time before in a crash, waves, something sharp etc....

KiteBud
WA, 1515 posts
11 Jan 2018 8:03AM
Thumbs Up

Dave T
WA, 34 posts
11 Jan 2018 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cbulota said..

Yep, that was me trying to get back inshore.

Select to expand quote
Woott said..
Construction is better these days. 2016 kite tearing like that mid air, can only happen if you damaged it at some time before in a crash, waves, something sharp etc....

There may well have been previous damage, but nothing I noticed on pump up... I'll be interested to see if kite repairer picks up anything.

ActionSportsWA
WA, 950 posts
11 Jan 2018 1:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Adam'KiteRepair said..

Lambie said..

A: Good luck getting a warrenty out of Best these days.

B: Ripstop does not mean, will not rip.

C: Most brands are on to 4D, double is a bit old now

Hey guys,

Just to add something which may be of use ...

A. Best IS offering warranty. We requested a warranty on a set of bladders this week and they are being sent out as we speak. You can still contact Best through their website.

B. Correct Ripstop will still rip

C. There is not a lot of benefit to go to more than 3 x strong lines as the added weight makes the kites a bit more doughy. I think the D2 is still the best when weighing up strength vs weight.

DM

Peahi
VIC, 1467 posts
11 Jan 2018 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

also known as rip-nonstop (techno pop)

cause once it starts ripping it don't stop

every large tear I have had can be traced back to a little nick so keep checking your kites peeps and don't believe the hype

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
11 Jan 2018 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

Switch have lifetime warranty ( I recently had an over 12month old kite replaced under warranty)
Not here stirring sh1t, it's just a fact.

Dave T
WA, 34 posts
14 Jan 2018 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
toppleover said..
Switch have lifetime warranty ( I recently had an over 12month old kite replaced under warranty)

An here are their T&Cs...

Unfortunately no product is indestructible and we must exclude the following:
- Normal wear and tear
- Any rips, punctures, scratches or any other damage caused by foreign objects
- Sun/UV, water, sand and wind affected degradation
- Damage caused by misuse, hard crashes/impacts, abuse, neglect and user error
- Damage caused by assembly or set up error
- Damage caused by anything other than defects in material or workmanship

They basically exclude any damage caused by using the kite.

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
14 Jan 2018 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bekit said..

toppleover said..

An here are their T&Cs...

Unfortunately no product is indestructible and we must exclude the following:
- Normal wear and tear
- Any rips, punctures, scratches or any other damage caused by foreign objects
- Sun/UV, water, sand and wind affected degradation
- Damage caused by misuse, hard crashes/impacts, abuse, neglect and user error
- Damage caused by assembly or set up error
- Damage caused by anything other than defects in material or workmanship

They basically exclude any damage caused by using the kite.

Yeah unfortunately it doesn't cover everything, just lifetime on manufacturing defects.

RAL INN
VIC, 2880 posts
15 Jan 2018 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

This thread just reminded me to get around to repairing my 2012 12m.
3 holes from an encounter with broken glass. ( thanks fisherman)
in 2015.

azza2u
QLD, 91 posts
17 Jan 2018 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

I ended up going out on an old (2011) Switchblade - still going strong although not looking its best anymore - they don't build them like they used to!

Very true. Was out on my 2010 10m Switchblade yesterday in 30kts. Canopy has stretched, faded and feels very soft to the touch, but still all in one piece.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Cabrinha durability" started by Dave T