Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Cabrinha Moto

Created by Rleshem > 9 months ago, 22 Jan 2019
Rleshem
22 posts
22 Jan 2019 2:36AM
Thumbs Up

Hi

I currently ride switchblades and was wondering if anybody tried the new Moto ? I am looking for a lower bar pressure option that's good for hooked-in boosting and tricks and strapless surfboard. How does it compare to drifter ?

Thanks

Gateman
QLD, 409 posts
22 Jan 2019 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

I have the 9m Switchblade and 12m LF Solo as my lighter wind kite but got to try a 14m Moto in sub 12knot conditions a couple weeks ago. I was impressed the Moto would just hang in the sky with such light wind, my Switchy is way too heavy to do that and needs 14 knots minimum. Still needed a huge "Dunny Door" TT to get going but I think the Moto will drift excellently and turning was pretty quick for such a huge kite. Had no problem doing Down Loop waterstarts to get some speed up. Moto is at the top of my list to demo when it's time to replace my 12m, I will need time on the water with better wind to be sure.
MACkiteboarding have a couple YouTube videos comparing the Moto vs Switchblade and Switchblade vs Drifter if you do a search but I recommend a Demo.
PS: I haven't had enough flying time to compare them but would be an unfair comparison between my sons 7m Drifter and a 14m Moto anyway.

Macster
VIC, 276 posts
22 Jan 2019 8:30PM
Thumbs Up

I haven't tried one and offer no useful insight other than that I launched a guy with one the other day 12m. The leading edge was huge, reminded me of a switchblade or contra. I dont know why cabrinha oversize their leading edges? Does that create more drag?

weebitbreezy
617 posts
22 Jan 2019 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

Big leading edge = less pressure needed for the same hoop stress. Also slower through the window and more likely to hang a little further back in the wind window so less likely to overshoot.

Peahi
VIC, 1467 posts
27 Jan 2019 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

isn't it just a newer version of a radar, which was a newer version of the vector?

PusherII
56 posts
28 Jan 2019 11:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Peahi said..
isn't it just a newer version of a radar, which was a newer version of the vector?

No it seems not. I had no chanche to try the moto, but moto Is meant to be something like bandit or Nexus or dice or lithium etc.
All those 3 struts all arounder kite that trading off some low ends, to have more steering speed and fast turning. Still very good for jumping, and good for waves also. So yeah moto could Be a good option, the only problem Is that Is has no history. And thats why i wouldnt go for it, tbh.

Gateman
QLD, 409 posts
29 Jan 2019 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Peahi said..

I put the Cabrinha Switchblade, Moto and FX kites together at the Season Launch in Golden Beach at the end of last year. Moto looked like it was 50% Switchblade and 50% FX. I think design and wing tips less like the Radar than the other two although I didn't have a Radar there to compare on the ground. Unfortunately there wasn't enough wind to demo that day.

PusherII
56 posts
30 Jan 2019 3:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gateman said..

Peahi said..

I put the Cabrinha Switchblade, Moto and FX kites together at the Season Launch in Golden Beach at the end of last year. Moto looked like it was 50% Switchblade and 50% FX. I think design and wing tips less like the Radar than the other two although I didn't have a Radar there to compare on the ground. Unfortunately there wasn't enough wind to demo that day.

yes moto is meant to be beetween SB and FX. Not sure radar was the same

Gateman
QLD, 409 posts
30 Jan 2019 7:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PusherII said..

Gateman said..

Peahi said..

yes moto is meant to be beetween SB and FX. Not sure radar was the same

I have a 3.5 and 5m Radar I taught my kids on, 7m Drifter and 9m Switchblade. Looks to me like the Radar is a much lower aspect ratio than the other kites. Relatively Radar is not as long (wing tip to wing tip when lying flat) but is much longer through the centre strut. Radar leading edge seems much more swept back And more bow kite whereas the Switchy, Moto and FX less so and seem shaped closer to the C kite (or rather a hybrid between Bow and C) than the Radar.

CJ2478
NSW, 482 posts
30 Jan 2019 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

on the cab site they say the moto has nothing to do with a newer revision of the radar.

With the discontinuity of the chaos in their lineup the fx has become more freestyle oriented.

from what I can tell moto is meant to be an all round kite combining the surf kite characteristics of the drifter with the upwind, boost and hangtime of the switchblade but can also pull kiteloops like the FX.

Seems like their model to compete with the 3 strut evo, nexus, bandit, etc

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Cabrinha Moto" started by Rleshem