Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Best RP Bar 2015 QR issues

Created by AzDawg > 9 months ago, 14 Oct 2016
AzDawg
WA, 11 posts
14 Oct 2016 6:07PM
Thumbs Up

Hi, just wondering if anyone else has experienced issues with the Best RP bar safety system?

I recently had some issues with mine and subsequently found online that the model (which started with an 'E') had been recalled. The issue was that it jammed and did not release properly and the inner parts were starting to rust.

Anyway, I lodged a warranty claim and they sent me a replacement. The replacement was a 2014 RP (which they say will still work with the 2015 RP bar), but this replacement was even worse than the old one! I have applied a lot of force to the chicken loop and activated the safety and it does not release. Only after a good 10 seconds of pulling on the chicken loop while activating the safety does it eventually work.

I am not installing the safety as it is no improvement and in an emergency would be downright dangerous.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with the best RP 2015 bar, or for that matter the 2014 system?

I am currently waiting for Best to respond, but I am worried they will just send me another dud QR.

kernal
WA, 541 posts
14 Oct 2016 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

did the rep send you the 2014 replacement as a temporary solution until he could get you a 2016/17 one?

AzDawg
WA, 11 posts
14 Oct 2016 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

They didnt say it was temporary. The 2014 pretty much looks identical to the 2015. Only could tell it was different from the packaging.

AzDawg
WA, 11 posts
15 Oct 2016 8:55AM
Thumbs Up

Here is a video i made showing the issue with the 2014 replacement QR. Even after multiple attempts and applying a lot of force it doesnt release.

Leighbreeze
WA, 531 posts
15 Oct 2016 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

Hey mate ,yep the 14-15yr quick release are crap.Same as you had problems with jamming,and resetting.Have the lastest models from Best which are based on the north iron heart quick release.No issues so far.

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
15 Oct 2016 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

Go on the website and put in a claim. They should sort out!

AzDawg
WA, 11 posts
15 Oct 2016 12:01PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh, I already lodged a warranty claim and got a replacement, but I will contact them again and ask them to send me the Iron Heart. Do you know if this system be compatible with the 2015 RP bar?

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
15 Oct 2016 3:24PM
Thumbs Up

Definitely. The Australian brand manager is a really top bloke. I'm sure He will help you out

ExSurfCentre
WA, 481 posts
16 Oct 2016 6:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AzDawg said..
Yeh, I already lodged a warranty claim and got a replacement, but I will contact them again and ask them to send me the Iron Heart. Do you know if this system be compatible with the 2015 RP bar?

Unfortunately the New chicken loop system is not compatible with the 2015 bar as it uses a seperate line for flag out.

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
16 Oct 2016 11:14AM
Thumbs Up

Oh of course the mini 5th. Sorry for the wrong info

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
17 Oct 2016 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tgcp said..

AzDawg said..

Unfortunately the New chicken loop system is not compatible with the 2015 bar as it uses a seperate line for flag out.

you know iv been think about this all night, and it shouldnt matter if the new bars use a mini 5th. the flag line will still go through the QR the same. i could be wrong but i think it would work fine

AzDawg
WA, 11 posts
17 Oct 2016 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh Best confirmed its not compatible, but they are going to send me another 2014 / 15 QR. Hopefully it will be ok.

ExSurfCentre
WA, 481 posts
17 Oct 2016 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kemp90 said..

tgcp said..

AzDawg said..

you know iv been think about this all night, and it shouldnt matter if the new bars use a mini 5th. the flag line will still go through the QR the same. i could be wrong but i think it would work fine

I can assure you it doesn't work, the line won't fit through the QR,

AzDawg
WA, 11 posts
29 Oct 2016 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

Best were supposed to send a replacement but that was 2 weeks ago and still not received anything ... not going to hold my breath. I am very much doubtful the replacement would work any better than the previous 2 as the 2014 and 2015 QRs seem to be very poor quality and design.

Anyway was wondering whether it is possible to use another brand QR on the Best RP2015 bar ?? Has anyone tried this?

wavenow
SA, 2 posts
13 Dec 2016 4:36PM
Thumbs Up

Hi mate, how I can I get in contact with Best Australia brand manager?

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
13 Dec 2016 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AzDawg said..
Best were supposed to send a replacement but that was 2 weeks ago and still not received anything ... not going to hold my breath. I am very much doubtful the replacement would work any better than the previous 2 as the 2014 and 2015 QRs seem to be very poor quality and design.

Anyway was wondering whether it is possible to use another brand QR on the Best RP2015 bar ?? Has anyone tried this?

Yes it's achievable.
The North Ironheart would probably be the easiest conversion.

THE DONG
VIC, 518 posts
21 Dec 2016 11:27PM
Thumbs Up

Yep its a pretty ****ty design. Ive had greif with my 2015 qr several times. Spending 10 seconds trying to trigger qr is not fun when your getting dragged under by surf.

Swavek
WA, 393 posts
22 Dec 2016 11:30PM
Thumbs Up

You can try telling them that their product is defective and unsafe and that you are going to go through Department of Consumer Protection if they don't satisfactorily resolve the issue in 3 business days.

If you get no action, call them, they tend to take side of the consumer most of the time and your case looks pretty clear to me.

In the past I had several disputes quickly resolved in my favour.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Best RP Bar 2015 QR issues" started by AzDawg