Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Anyone tried Ozone Edge 6m/7m?

Created by sonny2727 > 9 months ago, 12 Dec 2017
sonny2727
VIC, 153 posts
12 Dec 2017 12:35PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,
Not many reviews on smaller sizes so thought I'll ask . What would be the wind range for 6m Ozone Edge for intermediate 75kg rider? mainly bay chop or choppy water, I'm thinking about 25-35 knot wind range. Just want to reduce kite quiver so thinking two kites - Edge 11m (15-25knots) and a 6 or 7m ...
Cheers

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
12 Dec 2017 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sonny2727 said..
Hi Guys,
Not many reviews on smaller sizes so thought I'll ask . What would be the wind range for 6m Ozone Edge for intermediate 75kg rider? mainly bay chop or choppy water, I'm thinking about 25-35 knot wind range. Just want to reduce kite quiver so thinking two kites - Edge 11m (15-25knots) and a 6 or 7m ...
Cheers

6 imho is where the edge looses its edge feel, 7 was a weapon,at your weight you'll be over lit in a constant 30 knts by a long way and will require a good edging technique, the kite never completely depowers, it's always driving and hunting for wind I've felt, but remains very stable not saying you won't cope with it but at 35 knts it will be a struggle at that weight, the 7 edge used to be my high wind / storm kite, power on tap

Surfer62
1357 posts
12 Dec 2017 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

Ive got 7,9,11 edges, in vic I mostly use the 11 to 25knts, then the 9 to 30 and fairly rarely the 7m over 30 cause we dont get that many days over 30 without it being a gusty 30-40 knt front, Im around 84kgs, id say grab an 8 at 75kgs to complement the 11, 11 to 7 is too big a gap.

Let me know if you plan to sell the 11

Greenarrowz
NSW, 301 posts
12 Dec 2017 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

Anything under 8m and your bar size goes down...
Buy an 8m V9 and a backpack with 10kg of beer or whatever in it.

Put the backpack on just before a sesh when its really stonkin.

Plummet
4862 posts
13 Dec 2017 12:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Greenarrowz said..

?????

Why. I use 50cm bars on all my kites down to 4m!

Surfer62
1357 posts
13 Dec 2017 2:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Plummet said..

Greenarrowz said..

?????

Why. I use 50cm bars on all my kites down to 4m!

Pre empting cauncys reply

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
13 Dec 2017 10:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sonny2727 said..
Hi Guys,
Cheers

Very few people in Australia (if any) have ever ridden a 6M Edge powered up. They would be near impossible to find used too. And I agree that a 4M gap at your weight will be too much to deal with and there will be very little overlap. You would need to be lit off your chops on the 11M before you could ride the 6M and stay upwind.
I'd suggest a 3M gap between your kites so 7 and 11m, you can fly them both on the 50cm bar, but a 7m would normally be flown on the 45cm bar, and from 6 down Ozone recommend 38cm bar.
The Edge V9 (and V8's) do depower heaps with the bar pushed out fully and combined with edging hard they do have a big wind range, but if you send it when this lit you are going up up and away!

sonny2727
VIC, 153 posts
13 Dec 2017 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

thanks all
Looks like 6m is either not useful due to skill level or wind conditions,,

one review I did find ..
www.kiteworldmag.com/gear/ozone-edge-6m-2015/

since I already have a 8m Reo perhaps that would be fine to 30kts and occasional 35kts gust...

with the depowering of Ozone Edge - conflicting info - perhaps latest models have improved but may not suit my poor budget

IanR
NSW, 1237 posts
13 Dec 2017 1:40PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Sonny

The Edge and the Reo have very different flight characteristics. With skill you will be able to get more Top End out of an edge.
My recommendation sell the Reo. Buy an edge
I 100% agree that a 3m gap between kites is really good. Until you get smaller than a 7 or larger than a 12
But 11-3 =8

Greenarrowz
NSW, 301 posts
13 Dec 2017 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

I love my 8m V9..
When you send it hard and fast its like being attached to a fully tensioned bungie strap.
Tears you off the water and theres no telling how high you are gonna go...especially with elevator gusts.

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
13 Dec 2017 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sonny2727 said..
thanks all

one review I did find ..

since I already have a 8m Reo perhaps that would be fine to 30kts and occasional 35kts gust...

with the depowering of Ozone Edge - conflicting info - perhaps latest models have improved but may not suit my poor budget

Doh, I meant 11/8 sorry. What year/model is your 8m Reo? If its the first version, then you could handle it into the low 30's, if its a V3 then you'll be ok up to approx 30. The first version of the Reo was undersized for the number printed on the kite, about a square meter smaller than the number on the kite.
No need to sell it, its a great all rounder kite as well as being excellent in waves, they relaunch easily and depower well. There are plenty of 11M Edges in V7 and V8 around. But also consider other Reo's, this 10m is cheap
www.seabreeze.com.au/Classifieds/Kitesurfing-Kites/~-rvbf/2012-Ozone-Reo-8-metre.aspx?_page=1&search=yxrOHND3sv5F24tFzP3ek0wJKhDVTMwm

Here is an 11M for not too much money, make them an offer
www.seabreeze.com.au/Classifieds/Kitesurfing-Kites/~veyjz/2014-Ozone-Edge-11-metre.aspx?_page=5&search=yxrOHND3sv5F24tFzP3ek0wJKhDVTMwm

Another earlier one, with a bar ( bar chickenloop can be upgraded to push away easily)
www.seabreeze.com.au/Classifieds/Kitesurfing-Kites/~vs3z3/2010-Ozone-Edge-11-metre.aspx?_page=7&search=yxrOHND3sv5F24tFzP3ek0wJKhDVTMwm

Surfer62
1357 posts
13 Dec 2017 3:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sonny2727 said..
thanks all

one review I did find ..

Do not depower the edge, right size right wind no depower, they want to be flown lit up

IanR
NSW, 1237 posts
14 Dec 2017 1:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ozone Kites Aus said..
Doh, I meant 11/8 sorry. What year/model is your 8m Reo? If its the first version, then you could handle it into the low 30's, if its a V3 then you'll be ok up to approx 30. The first version of the Reo was undersized for the number printed on the kite, about a square meter smaller than the number on the kite.
No need to sell it, its a great all rounder kite as well as being excellent in waves, they relaunch easily and depower well. There are plenty of 11M Edges in V7 and V8 around. But also consider other Reo's, this 10m is cheap
www.seabreeze.com.au/Classifieds/Kitesurfing-Kites/~-rvbf/2012-Ozone-Reo-8-metre.aspx?_page=1&search=yxrOHND3sv5F24tFzP3ek0wJKhDVTMwm

www.seabreeze.com.au/Classifieds/Kitesurfing-Kites/~veyjz/2014-Ozone-Edge-11-metre.aspx?_page=5&search=yxrOHND3sv5F24tFzP3ek0wJKhDVTMwm

Another earlier one, with a bar ( bar chickenloop can be upgraded to push away easily)
www.seabreeze.com.au/Classifieds/Kitesurfing-Kites/~vs3z3/2010-Ozone-Edge-11-metre.aspx?_page=7&search=yxrOHND3sv5F24tFzP3ek0wJKhDVTMwm

Hmmm I'm confused, Why are you trying to sell him a 11
Maybe too much salt water on the brain there Steve.
The winds been good down here to
I'm sure Sonny is trying to build a quiver around a 11m Edge he already owns

Hey sonny
Move the Reo on to a Learner there great for that
Why not try other kites similar to an Edge for an 8
North Rebel, Airush Union, Cab Apollo, Core XR5 ect.

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
14 Dec 2017 1:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
IanR said..
Ozone Kites Aus said..

Hmmm I'm confused, Why are you trying to sell him a 11
Maybe too much salt water on the brain there Steve.
The winds been good down here to
I'm sure Sonny is trying to build a quiver around a 11m Edge he already owns

Hey sonny
Move the Reo on to a Learner there great for that
Why not try other kites similar to an Edge for an 8
North Rebel, Airush Union, Cab Apollo, Core XR5 ect.

The OP said he was looking for one, whats so confusing about that?
The OP also said he already has an 8M Reo.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Anyone tried Ozone Edge 6m/7m?" started by sonny2727