Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Any comments ozone reo vs. wainman in the surf?

Created by truster > 9 months ago, 21 Jan 2012
truster
WA, 82 posts
21 Jan 2012 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Build quality?
Crush in big wave's recovery?
Float down the line/drift?
Quick turning?

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
21 Jan 2012 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Mate theres like a six page thread running on the reo, not sure about the other kite

BouncElephan
5 posts
21 Jan 2012 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

The Reo is the best wave kite ever.

pearl
NSW, 984 posts
22 Jan 2012 8:35AM
Thumbs Up

truster said...

Build quality?
Quick turning?

I've owned a wainman... now have reos.
Build quality both excellent... Both have 6 month warranties. Both are quick turning, with a direct feel. Both bars work well. Both have simple bridals. Both have a bunch of spare goodies in the bag.
Basically the differences for me are, the wainman is more of a free ride kite that can cross to freestyle. It is also for me, a better looker with excellent graphics and slick marketing.
The reo by comparison is bland in its colour design. It is for me though, by far the winner on pure wave riding. It excels at drifting and down the line wave riding. It has a snappier relaunch than the wainman; especially in light conditions. It has light bar pressure and still turns well when kite is depowered + good upwind ability. Quick set up with a smaller leading edge tube than wainman.
You'd be happy with either, once you have them dialled. The wainman may be the choice if you were consistently riding in very onshore conditions or looking to boost, but otherwise for me the reo wins hands down.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
22 Jan 2012 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

BouncElephan said...

The Reo is the best wave kite ever.

+1111111!!!!!!!!!!

I <3 my Reo's.

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
22 Jan 2012 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

pearl said...

truster said...

Build quality?
Quick turning?

I've owned a wainman... now have reos.
Build quality both excellent... Both have 6 month warranties. Both are quick turning, with a direct feel. Both bars work well. Both have simple bridals. Both have a bunch of spare goodies in the bag.
Basically the differences for me are, the wainman is more of a free ride kite that can cross to freestyle. It is also for me, a better looker with excellent graphics and slick marketing.
The reo by comparison is bland in its colour design. It is for me though, by far the winner on pure wave riding. It excels at drifting and down the line wave riding. It has a snappier relaunch than the wainman; especially in light conditions. It has light bar pressure and still turns well when kite is depowered + good upwind ability. Quick set up with a smaller leading edge tube than wainman.
You'd be happy with either, once you have them dialled. The wainman may be the choice if you were consistently riding in very onshore conditions or looking to boost, but otherwise for me the reo wins hands down.

good comparison pearl.I agree they both turn with nice power but the wainman is a more allround kite so can drag you off the face of the wave and doesn't have as good upwind ability.

truster
WA, 82 posts
31 Jan 2012 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

I Have hered the reo gos flat on the water if taken by a wave, and dose not recover???
(but fly better)

tortuga
1 posts
26 Mar 2012 2:09PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the the thread people, I am actually y debating wainman vs reo /catalyst. Can you offer more on makes the the reo better overall (thinking maybe cat for longevity) and wainman better in onshore conditions? My local surf is generally more on/x-on, with stronger winds (high teens-30+).

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
26 Mar 2012 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

REO is faster turning than the Catalyst, and can be positioned a bit more precisely in the window. REO is better for pure wave riding, Catalyst is better if you're doing some twintip stuff as well.

From what I've seen and heard, the wainman's (which I haven't ridden) are very different from the Ozones (I'm a team rider). The REO and Cat will be much more similar to each other than to the wainmans. Get a demo if you can as the different brands will suit/require/encourage very different styles of riding. For construction, finesse, and after sales service the Ozones will certainly keep you happy.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Any comments ozone reo vs. wainman in the surf?" started by truster