Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Action camera gopro or nopro

Created by Waveswindy > 9 months ago, 7 Aug 2016
Waveswindy
NSW, 114 posts
7 Aug 2016 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

I've been using a gopro 2 with a line mount for the last 5 years and its been pretty good. Looking to upgrade. any insight / advice on cameras to buy or stay away from?

Looking for good FPS (60-120) in HD quality (1080), not too heavy as it impacts the lines when gusty..... Lastly battery power around 2 hours or a remote control to start and stop video.... Nothing more boring watching yourself for 2 hours riding chop and 5 waves in between.

deanrobi
VIC, 641 posts
7 Aug 2016 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

i'm guessing you are after something different than Gopro other wise you would just update, have a look at REV Arc, soon to be released. It's the first action camera with built-in, motorized image stabilization.

Waveswindy
NSW, 114 posts
7 Aug 2016 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
deanrobi said..
i'm guessing you are after something different than Gopro other wise you would just update, have a look at REV Arc, soon to be released. It's the first action camera with built-in, motorized image stabilization.

Hi Dean, Correct. Reckon GoPro's are the best in the market, but over priced. I looked at a few and decided to add the main specs on excel.... literally just found a winner that was released a couple of weeks ago and is essnetially the GoPro 4 Black at half the price. Xiamo Yi 2 4k...

KiteBud
WA, 1518 posts
7 Aug 2016 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Eugene

I also own a Go Pro 2 but in the last few months I started using a go pro hero 4 black that I borrowed. There is simply no comparison with the go pro 2, even 1080p footage is significantly better and of course the higher FPS makes all the difference when shooting action footage or making slow mo edits.

BTW the Go Pro 5 should be released next month or in October, but it won't be cheap, between $600 to $750 AUD depending on the model.

Go Pro is really struggling financially, partly due to the competitors coming out with much cheaper cameras.

That Xiamo Yi 4k has great reviews, however it has only 1 external button and you can't change any settings unless you use the touch screen or the phone app, so if your kiting your camera will be in a case and if you don't have your phone nearby...you won't be able to change the settings easily, which is a big drawback IMO.

I recently played with and saw footage of a $50 4k camera which is pretty much a cheap copy of the go pro. Not bad considering the price but still a long way away from the quality of the go pro.

I'd say if your budget is limited and you don't plan on shooting 4k footage consider getting a go pro 3+, you can get them for fairly cheap now and they are a great improvement image-quality wise from the go pro 2.

deanrobi
VIC, 641 posts
7 Aug 2016 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

i would still go the Revl Arc

deanrobi
VIC, 641 posts
7 Aug 2016 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

Waveswindy
NSW, 114 posts
8 Aug 2016 12:15AM
Thumbs Up

cbulota said..
Hi Eugene

I also own a Go Pro 2 but in the last few months I started using a go pro hero 4 black that I borrowed. There is simply no comparison with the go pro 2, even 1080p footage is significantly better and of course the higher FPS makes all the difference when shooting action footage or making slow mo edits.

BTW the Go Pro 5 should be released next month or in October, but it won't be cheap, between $600 to $750 AUD depending on the model.

Go Pro is really struggling financially, partly due to the competitors coming out with much cheaper cameras.

That Xiamo Yi 4k has great reviews, however it has only 1 external button and you can't change any settings unless you use the touch screen or the phone app, so if your kiting your camera will be in a case and if you don't have your phone nearby...you won't be able to change the settings easily, which is a big drawback IMO.

I recently played with and saw footage of a $50 4k camera which is pretty much a cheap copy of the go pro. Not bad considering the price but still a long way away from the quality of the go pro.

I'd say if your budget is limited and you don't plan on shooting 4k footage consider getting a go pro 3+, you can get them for fairly cheap now and they are a great improvement image-quality wise from the go pro 2.

Hi mate,

Yeah, a lot of Chinese brands have fake 4k, but this is the first one. They have a remote control (probably need waterproof of sorts) to switch on and off when needed. Flying to Pacific islands on Friday and will probably use my old GoPro 2 which sucks as I will miss a lot of kiting footage with 1 hour battery and poor quality. Maybe I will buy a GoPro Session for now and sell it after my holiday.

Dean, I saw that Cam when they started the campaign and it looks epic. Would love to get one.... but does not look like they have a remote control? I turn my kite a lot while wave riding and the kite line mount with the Gyro cam will take away all that bumpy shaky footage. Delivery will probably only be beginning of 2017 though if the time line below is correct.

www.indiegogo.com/projects/revl-arc-the-world-s-smartest-action-camera

Gorgo
VIC, 4917 posts
8 Aug 2016 7:43AM
Thumbs Up

This is a clone of the Hero 4 Black but they've upgraded all the components so it's better, but only half the price.

http://www.yitechnology.com/actioncamera/index/id/5/status/1.html

The only problem is that even at half price it's still $400. Add in a 128gb memory card and the price starts climbing.

These are rated quite highly down the cheaper end of the market.

sjcamhd.com/sjcam-m20-camera/

KiteBud
WA, 1518 posts
8 Aug 2016 10:25AM
Thumbs Up

That Xi camera looks amazing for the price it can't be beat. A great review here

That Revl camera is a great idea with some cool gadgets, however they don't reveal any specs about the image sensor and CPU, which means it's probably their weakest links. No way I would put $400 US on a camera not knowing what the sensor is, it's the most important feature determining the quality of your footage...

DanozDirect
QLD, 106 posts
9 Aug 2016 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

I bought a Fly360 camera. Forget GoPro or 2-dimensional cameras. The 360 cameras are way more amazing and fun.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Action camera gopro or nopro" started by Waveswindy