Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

6M Core GTS2...good for newbies

Created by JenBunny > 9 months ago, 3 Feb 2018
JenBunny
3 posts
3 Feb 2018 4:32AM
Thumbs Up

Hi, wanting to buy a kite off gumtree...will have it checked out and all but...is a 6M Core GTS2 kite good for someone who is new..and 50kg?

I had a hard time on a 7 as it was too powerful and others telling me that I need to buy the right "shape"/type of kite.

TIA!!!

Smithy
VIC, 858 posts
3 Feb 2018 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

Hey JenBunny, not sure if you are who we met on the beach yesterday arvo, if so I hope you are feeling better ??, as suggested a 9m would be a good kite for you at this stage and would end up being your go to kite. A 6m may seem like a good idea ATM while learning but ultimately won't be big enough for most of your riding. The small kites probably seem like they are too big due to the surge of power created by their turning speed but this is short lived in lighter winds.

snalberski
WA, 857 posts
3 Feb 2018 6:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JenBunny said..
Hi, wanting to buy a kite off gumtree...will have it checked out and all but...is a 6M Core GTS2 kite good for someone who is new..and 50kg?

I had a hard time on a 7 as it was too powerful and others telling me that I need to buy the right "shape"/type of kite.

TIA!!!

All brands will have an 'all round' model. It can be hard as a newbie decifering the manufacturers hype but I think the XR or Free in th Core range are more all round,which is code for easier to fly. The shape you want is termed delta bow and described as a free ride kite. The shape you will find more difficult to fly is a 'C' shape which is what the GTS is.
Size will mostly depend on wind strength. 18/19 knots plus or minus a couple of knots is a good range for a beginner... not to light not to strong .At 50 kilos in 18 knots probably a 7 or 8 would be more useful. At 50 kilos in 16knots probably a 9 would be more useful.
It seems like fine margins but there is a bit of give and take in estimations.

JenBunny
3 posts
3 Feb 2018 7:13AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the advice! At school I was on a 4.5m and then they made me jump to a 7 which scared me because I was being dragged in the water by the strength of the kite and couldn't fully depower. I have little arms too so it's hard to reach the bar.

Brohan
VIC, 528 posts
3 Feb 2018 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

I learnt on a core XR3 and love it! A few years later I bought a 6m Core GTS3 and hated it, it was so twitchy and all over the place, the power wasn't smooth. I was flying it in 25-40 knots though so that may have had some play in the way it flys. If I was learning I would stick with a more Bow kite shape, as they're more forgiving and versatile. Also check out a surf kite (Ozone Reo or North Neo), as they have really good depower when you let the bar out, so they wont pull you as much when you don't want them to.

snalberski
WA, 857 posts
3 Feb 2018 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JenBunny said..
Thanks for the advice! At school I was on a 4.5m and then they made me jump to a 7 which scared me because I was being dragged in the water by the strength of the kite and couldn't fully depower. I have little arms too so it's hard to reach the bar.

The most common reaction by most learners to a kite getting out of control is to pull on the bar and hang on for dear life. This is the worst thing to do and the opposite of what you should do if you get in trouble. First reaction to a hairy situation should always be to let go of the bar.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"6M Core GTS2...good for newbies" started by JenBunny