Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2021 Atmos Carbon advice

Created by CrashTestOZ > 9 months ago, 13 Oct 2020
CrashTestOZ
QLD, 75 posts
13 Oct 2020 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

I have never used a carbon board before. My current board is a 6 yr old Naish Motion. I'm big guy 104kg. Any advice or suggestions on upgrading to this board?

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
13 Oct 2020 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

The Hybrid version offers a slightly smoother ride in the chop
The Carbon Atmos is still smoother than many carbon boards but offers more grip, power and pop than the hybrid.

CrashTestOZ
QLD, 75 posts
14 Oct 2020 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

What happens when you put a heavy guy on a flexible board in chop? Would that person benefit from the carbon version more?

CrashTestOZ
QLD, 75 posts
31 Oct 2020 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

I took this board for a spin and loved it. I was concerned by it being stiff because of the carbon construction and it's smaller rocker but after trying it all those worries went away.

I found the board to be much smoother through the chop. Significantly noticeable over my Motion board. This makes the ride much easier on my knees. This maybe due to my over all weight and the board still being flexible enough without being "wobbling"

I saw no deference in the control of the board over my old Motion board. I am not an advanced rider and that may be the reason. It's just as easy to go upwind, pop or early planning.
The 2020 North Flex bindings are very comfortable and adjustable. All in all don't be afraid to try this board and I believe you will see what I mean.

azza2u
QLD, 91 posts
1 Nov 2020 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

I just got the Carbon 138x41 last week to replace an old Best Armada. I'm about 95kg and found the board great in the strong winds on Saturday. Really slippery on the water and gets some great acceleration when loading it up. Also seems to absorb or slice through the chop and cushions landings much better than you'd expect from the stiffer carbon board. And the pop you get on a jump seems to live up to the marketing hype, at least for me. Only thing against it is it doesn't track upwind as well as some boards and struggled in lighter winds, at least not as well as my old 138 Best. I think replacing the 40mm fins with some 45s might make some difference there. Flex binding are good and comfy but if you have a large/wide foot they can feel a bit narrow. Am hoping once they wear in a bit they might feel a bit better.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2021 Atmos Carbon advice" started by CrashTestOZ