Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2020 Duotone Evo

Created by Kraut > 9 months ago, 7 Jan 2020
Kraut
WA, 542 posts
7 Jan 2020 7:25AM
Thumbs Up

I have been kiting since 2006, 70 kg, mostly freeriding (boosting, the usual basic tricks mostly hooked in, some raleys, on TT but also sb and foil)
Usually riding Ozone Enduro but had/tried almost all cross-over kites over the years
Wind: 17-25 knots, over 2 sessions, sizes 8 and 9, Safety Bay WA

Not a sophisticated comprehensive review, just a casual short feedback for others who like a lively freeride kite doing it all. And surprisingly well.

No affiliation with Duotone or any brand or shop. But thanks to WA Surf for the demo.

Took out an 8m Evo the other day in 21-25 knots. Would have loved a few more knots but was impressed with the lift and hangtime. Likewise with the speed this kite allows me to reach (turning into height), as well as upwind ability (turning into height, and handy when going big and ending up way downwind).

While I haven't tested the kite enough, wind range seems bigger than Enduro, as expected.

Bar pressure light/mid which is pleasant when coming from Enduro which in larger sizes at least, can feel a bit heavy for some. Bit direct enough to understand where the kite is at all times.
Certainly removing the pulleys for me is a great move imho.

Looping is smooth while on the harmless gentle side, compared to Enduro and other kites. As one would expect from such allround kite.

Kite is very light which shall be an advantage on sb/foil and in larger sizes in light winds.
I am 70kg so happy with a 3-strutter as I don't tend to deform the kite too much

Colours are limited and I ended up getting the only available kite which is in grey (more of a white). Will see how it will cope with staining but did not want to wait for a blue to arrive.

Been demoing the 8 with a large Click bar with long 24m lines. Which actually worked pretty well, and perhaps contributed to some good air.

But bought a 9m with short 22m Click bar, as per default. And this feels perfect, while I can imagine adding 2m line may work equally well. Wide bar does not seem to be necessary, kite is nimble and direct enough with the short one.

I haven't unhooked yet on it, so can't comment. Using my Enduro V2 10m mostly for such, as lower wind comes with flatter water and boosting fun really for me only starts with stronger winds and smaller kites.

Drifting seems adequate, for the kite to just smoothly move without loosing line tension. And without an actual slack coming from C/C-ish kites which I find annoying when freeriding. And especially when boosting high. I want the kite to carry me at all times, consistently, without the need to loop it ensuring a soft landing / line tension. It does it well too, but it was not necessary although I believe I reached some good heights.

Click bar itself seems great, albeit I'd prefer a thicker bar like the Ozone one. But this is cosmetic.

Go grab a demo, you might be surprised as to the capabilities of this kite. I have flown older versions of Evo and was very underwhelmed. This one is a real surprise to me.

Hope it helps and gives an inspiration to those who may like me prefer an allrounder, but one very capable of jumping high and providing decent hangtime at the same time. Without being crap at other disciplines.
Good value for money I'd say.

Kraut
WA, 542 posts
7 Jan 2020 12:16PM
Thumbs Up

Forgot to add that pressure to inflate to is now recommended to be 7 psi. Which we all knew they should be pumped up to at least anyway unless one likes a noodle

lucy5
QLD, 102 posts
8 Jan 2020 7:18PM
Thumbs Up

Hi just wondering why u prefer a thicker bar than click bar like ozone bar as I prefer the thinner bar

weebitbreezy
617 posts
8 Jan 2020 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

He's probably just got big hands

And you know what they say about big hands......
I'll get my coat

Kraut
WA, 542 posts
9 Jan 2020 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lucy5 said..
Hi just wondering why u prefer a thicker bar than click bar like ozone bar as I prefer the thinner bar

Select to expand quote
lucy5 said..

Not sure tbh. Perhaps it's the material. Got blisters from the Click and never from the Ozone. Again, not a big deal really. Especially as I am back in VIC so daily kiting is history

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2020 Duotone Evo" started by Kraut