QLD, 1692 posts
5 Mar 2019 1:50PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 75kg ,Level Advanced
Style: Wake, Freestyle, waves, foil
Weather: 12-35knots
Build Quality: 10/10 tough as nails!
Satisfaction: very very happy
Disclosure: Team slingshot (but I'll be truthfully and no ones pimp)

Wow, my favourite RPM yet!

2019 10m RPM:
out of the bag it looks the same as previous years, however the new bridle is noticeable simpler and the new colours are very cool.

In the air the new bridle definitely pulls the wingtips in, much more then last years model.

The bar pressure is where it gets interesting.
On the freestyle settings and set on mid bar pressure, it's an absolute pleasure to fly. I can easily fly the kite on this setting on the foil, waves and free ride all day long.
On the wakestyle setting, this is very different from anything iv used in the past and kind of hard to explain. It almost gives you a lighter bar pressure but pulls harder from the chicken loop, so essentially you can pull the bar 2/3 of the way in and you won't notice any pressure change. So it won't turn as easy unless you aggressively steer the kite.

Boosting and loops:

freestyle setting:
iv flown this kite back to back with the new and old bridle and the new bridle that comes stock on the kite is definitely way more fun.
On the freestyle settings it's very cool. It turns fast and gives you more height and hang time. However being a 10m kite, kite loops shouldn't be really that fun, but they are and boy do they give you a decent pull. What is interesting tho is that on the freestyle settings it will struggle to catch you. This all changes in the wakestyle setting tho.

wakestyle settinge.
This fun easy flying kite on the freestyle setting turns into an absolute beast on the wake setting! Boost are bigger and yank you off the water. When the wind gets to the end of its range, it's really hard to hold the edge on the wake setting, but if you can, my goodness, the boots are huge.
For big kiteloops, if you wait till the peak of the boost before you loop, it will catch you every time. This didn't happen with the freestyle setting for some reason.

Waves:
this is my favourite kite for the waves. It's such a pleasure to fly. It dosnt sit as far back in the window as the sst so you will get more angle on your wave if your not drifting down the line.
The kite dose drift but not as much as the "wave kites". But it's perfect for the powered slashes on the waves.

wake style:
the new bridle has not effected my ability to throw handle passes. If anything, I think it's better because you have a more powerful steady pull through the pop.
The kite definitely won't slack like a 5th line Ckite, but you can get around this by dropping the kite a bit lower befor you pop.

Pros:
- boosts a lot better then in the past.
- loops catch you,( even with a 10m).
- absolute pleasure to fly on freestyle.
- wakestyle pop has increased.

cons:
- I personally think that there are too many options with the settings. You have too many options. You will be out flying thinking forever thinking " should I have selected the 2nd knot on the front lines and 1st on the back lines, or 3rd knot on the front and 3rd on the back"............ too many options.
- the bar lines are too heavy for ultra light wind foiling.

Any questions or in my neck of the woods and want to demo, I'll be more then happy to help out.

Cheers, kemp.

weebitbreezy
619 posts
5 Mar 2019 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kemp90 said..

freestyle setting:
iv flown this kite back to back with the new and old bridle and the new bridle that comes stock on the kite is definitely way more fun.

Cheers, kemp.

Old and new bridle? Do you get 2 bridles? Or do you mean vs last years kite?

polykarb
VIC, 283 posts
5 Mar 2019 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
weebitbreezy said..

kemp90 said..

freestyle setting:

Cheers, kemp.

Old and new bridle? Do you get 2 bridles? Or do you mean vs last years kite?

The early 2019 kites came with a different version of bridle.

Then for the main production run, a newer bridle design was used...

Soooo, i few people got both...

If you buy a 2019 RPM now it will only come with latest version of Bridle (somebody correct me if im wrong).

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
6 Mar 2019 6:49AM
Thumbs Up

Yes. But you will only get the new bridle if you buy a rpm

7-Nation Aust
QLD, 114 posts
6 Mar 2019 11:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kemp90 said..
Rider: 75kg ,Level Advanced
Style: Wake, Freestyle, waves, foil
Weather: 12-35knots
Build Quality: 10/10 tough as nails!
Satisfaction: very very happy
Disclosure: Team slingshot (but I'll be truthfully and no ones pimp)

Wow, my favourite RPM yet!

2019 10m RPM:
out of the bag it looks the same as previous years, however the new bridle is noticeable simpler and the new colours are very cool.

In the air the new bridle definitely pulls the wingtips in, much more then last years model.

The bar pressure is where it gets interesting.
On the freestyle settings and set on mid bar pressure, it's an absolute pleasure to fly. I can easily fly the kite on this setting on the foil, waves and free ride all day long.
On the wakestyle setting, this is very different from anything iv used in the past and kind of hard to explain. It almost gives you a lighter bar pressure but pulls harder from the chicken loop, so essentially you can pull the bar 2/3 of the way in and you won't notice any pressure change. So it won't turn as easy unless you aggressively steer the kite.

Boosting and loops:

freestyle setting:
On the freestyle settings it's very cool. It turns fast and gives you more height and hang time. However being a 10m kite, kite loops shouldn't be really that fun, but they are and boy do they give you a decent pull. What is interesting tho is that on the freestyle settings it will struggle to catch you. This all changes in the wakestyle setting tho.

wakestyle settinge.
This fun easy flying kite on the freestyle setting turns into an absolute beast on the wake setting! Boost are bigger and yank you off the water. When the wind gets to the end of its range, it's really hard to hold the edge on the wake setting, but if you can, my goodness, the boots are huge.
For big kiteloops, if you wait till the peak of the boost before you loop, it will catch you every time. This didn't happen with the freestyle setting for some reason.

Waves:
this is my favourite kite for the waves. It's such a pleasure to fly. It dosnt sit as far back in the window as the sst so you will get more angle on your wave if your not drifting down the line.
The kite dose drift but not as much as the "wave kites". But it's perfect for the powered slashes on the waves.

wake style:
the new bridle has not effected my ability to throw handle passes. If anything, I think it's better because you have a more powerful steady pull through the pop.
The kite definitely won't slack like a 5th line Ckite, but you can get around this by dropping the kite a bit lower befor you pop.

Pros:
- boosts a lot better then in the past.
- loops catch you,( even with a 10m).
- absolute pleasure to fly on freestyle.
- wakestyle pop has increased.

cons:
- I personally think that there are too many options with the settings. You have too many options. You will be out flying thinking forever thinking " should I have selected the 2nd knot on the front lines and 1st on the back lines, or 3rd knot on the front and 3rd on the back"............ too many options.
- the bar lines are too heavy for ultra light wind foiling.

Any questions or in my neck of the woods and want to demo, I'll be more then happy to help out.

Cheers, kemp.

Sam Light does a good review on which settings he uses. Personally I connect the 2 rear line connections together and run on the end knot .

jonny-0
VIC, 48 posts
12 Mar 2019 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Great review kemp90.

I made the move to the NEW 2019 RPM after flying the Slingshot Fuel for the past 3 years.

I was most impressed with the power delivery through the wind window as you turn the kite.

In previous years it felt like the kite would disengage momentarily as you turned the kite before repowering back up.

I can understand how this would be beneficial for less experienced kiters as it makes the kite more forgiving but with the new Flyline bridle, I find this does not happen and you definitely feel constant power all the way through the turn with great feedback to the rider.

This is something intermediate and more advanced riders would look for especially if they are looking to get into looping the kite.

I did find when unhooking that I did need to bring the kite a little lower in the window to get enough slack for a pass but I figure this is also due to me riding a Fuel for so long which has been a piece of cake to slack.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2019 Slingshot RPM review" started by kemp90