Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2019 Ride Engine Prime Harness

Created by Livlove > 9 months ago, 20 Nov 2018
Livlove
VIC, 8 posts
20 Nov 2018 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Hello!

I bought myself a new harness this year because I'm FINALLY advancing in my kiting.
I got myself a Ride Engine Prime Harness in Small, with the 10inch fixed spreader. I had to buy the 8inch spreader as I had the wrong size.

But first I want to tell you guys a bit about me - I'm spinal injured, L5/S1 Gr2 Spondylolithesis. Pretty open about my injury, I also got a degree in the **** so also pretty good for rehab etc.

I've been using a NP Raven Harness for about 2 years now, leaving me with 'Rib squishy' post session, especially if I 'boost' I mean bunny hop.
I've got enough pain in my body, and I've been told by some of the advanced kiters that a soft harness which the raven is is more for advanced tricks offering flexibility... of which I have none due to my spondy.

So I tried on a few different harnesses before deciding on the new Ride Engine.

What I like:

No Rib Squishy
I don't finish sore, and can kite longer,
Feels like I'm getting a really supportive cuddle
I landed consecutive back rolls over various days in different conditions - which I've never done before. Fluke? I think not.

Fitting:
It doesn't not sit in the small of my waist. Whether this is because I have an exaggerated lumber lordosis, or if the harness shape isn't great for female pelvises(Or wider pelvis shapes) I'm not sure.When I had the wrong side bar: IT did creep up into my chest and cause lots of boob squishage, and coupled with an underwire bikini, eekk, wasn't comfy! So I tightened it up as tight as it possible could go, it would still ride up to my ribs and then I couldn't breath in, and had to get out of the water to get my harness loosened - but this was with the 10inch spreader. I can state that I couldn't loosen my harness whilst riding, so the anti slip webbing works well.

SO then I bought the 8inch speader which was much better and I was able to keep it sitting much lower, but not as low as my raven. My friend Jim helped me fit my harness to me, and suggested tightening the lower straps tigher to stop the harness raising. This worked massively, and then I proceeded to do 3 back rolls, and I thought the harness was magic.

My critisism would be that they should be looking at doing a women specific model, with larger scoloped edges to fit womens pelvises/shape. I think there's enough women kiters out there to justify the addtional SKU.

Would I recommend this harness:

Yes.

Have I left the water in any pain, either spondy or rib squishy

No. It has not provoked any nerve pain, and I've not needed to have any down time.

I've copied and pasted the deets of the harness below.

Oh and here's a photo of me posing with it.

The Prime Sunset is a harness you'll forget you're wearing. It locks into your lumbar, stays low where it's supposed to and spreads load evenly across your back for a fit and feel that will change your entire experience on the water. *Spreader bar sold separately.Features:New Prime Shell construction is slightly softer than the Elite Series, but just as durableLumbar Lock conforms to your lower back and prevent the harness from twisting from side to side.Low profile fit improves mobility and keeps harness down low where it's supposed to beDual-zone closure system allows for top and bottom tightening, a more precise fit and adjusting while you rideImproved composite shell is more durableCushy Fusion Foam padding makes the harness feel like it's part of your body2019 Ride Engine Prime Sunset Harness Product Details:SHELL SKIN *NEW*
Improved materials and finish work provides UV resistance, impact strength, abrasion resistance to increase durability and longevity of your harness.

ARMOUR SHELL
The Ride Engine innovation that changed the game. The hard shell distributes load evenly across your back and sides and eliminates squeezing

LUMBAR LOCK
Shell is ergonomically contoured to lock into place along your lower back. Prevents shifting, twisting, riding up and back pain related to soft, flimsy harnesses.

SPEED LOCK CLOSURE
Dual-zone webbing on each side allows for custom fit, stainless steel clasp slides over spreader bar for a simple, secure closure.
ANTI-SLIP WEBBING *NEW*
New for 2019, softer, more pliable webbing is easier to tighten and adjust and helps prevent loosening during sessions.

REMOVEABLE HANDLE PASS LEASH
Wraps around the back, attached by simple larks head knot. Secondary leash attachment located on front-side of harness.

INTERCHANGEABLE SPREADER BARS
Choose between kite and windsurf fixed hooks or our signature sliding ripe spreader bar. Switching bars takes about 30 seconds.

FUSION FOAM
Our most comfortable harness yet. A soft foam core conforms to the shape of your body and cushions pressure and load from your kite or sail.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
20 Nov 2018 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Listening to that I'd buy a wheelchair

Livlove
VIC, 8 posts
20 Nov 2018 11:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said..

Good thing I'm not you.

You'd have the most limited boring life with that attitude ;)

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
20 Nov 2018 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Livlove said..

cauncy said..

Good thing I'm not you.

You'd have the most limited boring life with that attitude ;)

I've suffered with lower spinal issues since 1989, jumping out of planes and heavy impact landings, tabbing with heavy packs and armoury, hence I have a strange sense of humour ,

Gfly
165 posts
23 Nov 2018 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

People who pimp ride engine on these forums must be getting some sort of kick back.

It sits higher because it has a narrow outline and doesnt really sit over pelvic bones.

LouisainPerth
WA, 7 posts
26 Nov 2018 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Livlove,

Thanks for your write up. I had to stop my kitesession today after 1.5 hour 'cus my back ribs got squashed and hurted again ( I have the same men's seat harness for 5 years and lately this squishy pain has been happening). Not fun and I am a bit anxious about buying a new harness as there is not really a way to try them out other then hanging off the ceiling in the kite shop for a few minutes, its not really the same as being on the water for longer. I like how detailed you described the process about making the harness fit for you. That info may help me when harness shopping. And good on you for recovering after your injuries and being open about it. Very impressive. Keep on progressing! Louisa

AquaPlow
QLD, 1051 posts
1 Dec 2018 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

Yes per Louisain thank-you and well done..LivLove..
JIC U want to see what ingenuity there is in this area (smart crew - although sarcastic)
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/Review/Wave-Harness - lots of adaptive innovation
I resorted to the bigger spend on the ride engine a few years back - due to "squishy"2-3 days of rib cage bruising.
And lower back pain although not to your degree.
Just done another Flemington style downwinder - (flogging the horse because the wind Plucked off to another location) and the car was at the designated finishSo a lot of yanks with power strokes - and no pain..
Basically this style of hard shell harness concept was driven by the RE design (Slingshot bought out the original - hence all the marketing - call it Charisma - add a p at the end and drop a few letters) and now is widely available and mimicked with each design offering their tweeks - but glad you conquered the pain successfully
Cheers
AP

regardless of content just Tick Cauncy's posts - he is Solid gold although he is diligent at trying to tarnish this

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
2 Dec 2018 8:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gfly said..
People who pimp ride engine on these forums must be getting some sort of kick back.

It sits higher because it has a narrow outline and doesnt really sit over pelvic bones.

No pimping here....I have had my RE for three years now and would never go back to a different style of harness. It does not ride up, it's comfortable and provides the support that has been written up by those that have ridden them. Are they for everybody? No, but for me this is the ticket. Comfortable, small footprint on the body, and great support. Mine still is in great shape though I had to sew new velcro on the wrap strap as the loops wore out and would no longer grab.

Youngbreezy
WA, 938 posts
3 Dec 2018 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

I too had the rib squishy and the lower back painy. Also the when the harness rides up then your all stretched out in kook stance trying to get enough bar throw to depower effectively.

The ride engine fixed all that for me. The harness locks down tight and stays in the same place for hours on end. Also the curve of the hardshell locks your lower back into the correct "neutral" position which cut out all the strain on my lower back. Improving the ergonomics of my kiting has actually made a huge difference in how well I kite!

I would urge anyone to try a hardshell harness, not just pimping ride engine as there are a lot of different models so worth looking around but definitely look into it especially if you're having issues.

Also I think with hardshell harnesses the sizing really needs to be just right and you need to take a bit of time to get it adjusted correctly when you first get it

quikdrawMcgraw
1221 posts
12 Dec 2018 11:02AM
Thumbs Up

Man I could go for a supportive cuddle

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2019 Ride Engine Prime Harness" started by Livlove