Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2018 ride engine

Created by uweh > 9 months ago, 23 Oct 2017
uweh
311 posts
23 Oct 2017 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

Hi ,

any news ? really better than the 2017...?

thanks in advance

uwe

Fly on da wall
SA, 725 posts
23 Oct 2017 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

Does it work with a dynabar slider? Just wondering if it's better than a seat harness too?

Rails
QLD, 1370 posts
23 Oct 2017 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

Met a guy, on the water, at Currumbin, ride engine harness
bloke was a complete tosser
atypical?

horey69
QLD, 495 posts
23 Oct 2017 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

Fly on the wall
You will need to use the ride engine rope slider.
I have a 2016 team rider I love it great support and never rides up and with the rope slider toe side is so good.
I've see the 2018 models they look great, but as my 2016 model is still as good as new there is no need to change.
Get onto ride engine for a demo somewhere

riddim1
QLD, 147 posts
26 Oct 2017 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Horey. I should've taken your advice and purchased an RE. My C1 is a pain in the ass . Rides up excessively and Velcro starting to fail. The 2018 looks good with the modified lock-up however my cost to kite ratio is too high at the moment Hope to see you on the beach during the next nuking SE'er.

horey69
QLD, 495 posts
28 Oct 2017 4:07PM
Thumbs Up

Nuking SE'er I'll be at Queens North, light SE'r I'll be at Queens North foiling.... Life is good

johnojjohnso
NSW, 44 posts
23 Jan 2018 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

I have never used the 2017 but the 2018 is very good loads of support feels glued to your waste and the fixed bar won't ride up at all.
Got mine from kingofwatersports free postage from UK and only set me back $370 with bar

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
23 Jan 2018 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

I due for a new harness, been looking at RE & the Ion CS Wave...

For wave riding, what is better Elite or Hexcore ?

Thanks, Top

johnojjohnso
NSW, 44 posts
25 Jan 2018 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

I think it just comes down to price and looks after trying both on and talking to people I don't think you can notice the difference when riding

windtzu
93 posts
13 Feb 2018 12:13AM
Thumbs Up

I had a session on a borrowed 2016 Ride Engine Harness - strapless wave session. My feelings are mixed. Initially my experience was both thumbs up. I felt locked in, less pressure on my back, comfortable, ultimately forgot it was there. Then I crashed in the waves, body dragging for my surfboard. That's when everything turned to a thumbs down. The harness pulled up closer to my chest. I couldn't get it back down without great effort - if and when my traditional harness rides up I can get it down with a tug or it naturally falls back into place with a dive of the kite. The RE was not coming back into position without effort. My breathing was constricted and I thought this is what it must be like locked into an Iron Maiden.

I went back to the beach and adjusted the harness back into position, snugging up the straps a bit tighter. I also made sure the everything was tucked in properly. To no avail, the harness rode up, stuck up, after I went down a time or two again. When I had enough, I went back in to get my traditional harness. Ah, better.

Could it be that the RE was the wrong size? I normally wear a small to medium harness. The Ride Engine I used was a medium.
Is this something that was improved on with the later models?

Any thoughts? I liked it when it was working.

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
13 Feb 2018 7:22AM
Thumbs Up

I would dare say that it was too big. I have had mine for three seasons now and it does not ride up at all. I am fairly chunky and I use a medium. You would need a small for sure, and then you would have to determine which bar size to fine tune.

CJ2478
NSW, 482 posts
13 Feb 2018 7:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
johnojjohnso said..
I have never used the 2017 but the 2018 is very good loads of support feels glued to your waste and the fixed bar won't ride up at all.
Got mine from kingofwatersports free postage from UK and only set me back $370 with bar

How did you get yours from king of watersports? I thought they cant ship ride engine to australia?

Andrash
WA, 637 posts
13 Feb 2018 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dafish said..
I would dare say that it was too big. I have had mine for three seasons now and it does not ride up at all. I am fairly chunky and I use a medium. You would need a small for sure, and then you would have to determine which bar size to fine tune.

With hard shell harnesses any one size have much lower spectrum and adjustability, then the softies. For ex. ION's hard shell size 52 is 31-33, and that's it. As I recall RE also has two medium sizes (a larger and smaller). A larger hard shell harness cannot be made tighter by tightening the straps. I would say, they can be a bit smaller, but never larger. They don't like to slide anywhere, but stuck where they are.... so if a too big harness rides up, it can cause some drama....

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
13 Feb 2018 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

This is one of the reasons that Engine offers two bar sizes to balance the shell. I use a medium with a small bar and I am 35 inch waist. When I first got it I was so tubby from traveling that I could not even get it on. I had to lose a 10 kilos which is good for that small bar. Had I not lost the weight I could have used a larger bar. It was much better for my health to lose the weight which is something I have always struggled with after 40. I will eventually get down to 80 kilos and that should get me to 34 inch and it will still fit. But you are right, I used to have a Mystic Warrior and could use it at any weight. But it did move up on me.

horey69
QLD, 495 posts
14 Feb 2018 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

I'm wearing a small with the 8 inch spreader bar, the s/bar length helps pull in the softer side bits, thus giving that wrap around/locked in feeling. My tip is go smaller than you think.
Can't fault mine, now two full seasons in and loving it.

chalks
10 posts
16 Feb 2018 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

You do need to get the sizing right. Although I would be a medium in other soft harnesses I went for a small but balanced it with a 10'' rope slider bar, which is the perfect size for me. Great harnesses.

Addikt
WA, 551 posts
11 Mar 2018 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

$$$$$$$ bit steep....carbon is cool but over 500 for a harness....!!!!!

balidru
WA, 76 posts
12 Mar 2018 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

Take heed on the sizes people.I got a large, should have went medium. Now I have to eat more pies dammit. Love the harness though, highly recommended.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2018 ride engine" started by uweh