WA, 1915 posts
14 Aug 2016 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

the marketing department at naish are obviously not Australian

Spitfire
WA, 394 posts
14 Aug 2016 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

Judging by the deltaish style of kite...and the name, i'm guessing it is a dedicated wave kite.

JKimbler
317 posts
15 Aug 2016 7:58AM
Thumbs Up

I have a 9M Slash still from 2011, actually one of the best kites I've ever flown. Guess they couldn't come up with an original name.

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
16 Aug 2016 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JKimbler said..
I have a 9M Slash still from 2011, actually one of the best kites I've ever flown. Guess they couldn't come up with an original name.

Sounds to me you need to try more kites!

JKimbler
317 posts
17 Aug 2016 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

Nah, that CF is a sick kite. You can try mine if you're in Hawai'i and you'll see what I mean.

pro merc
NSW, 300 posts
17 Aug 2016 12:09PM
Thumbs Up

Hahahaha! Yes some names can sound funny in different countries, I did not even think about that one.

I flew this kite only briefly but it felt nice in the light wind. The wind dropped off after 5 minutes and i was left flying the kite on the beach. I tried everything to make it overfly but it just stayed up. I think it will be a nice drifting kite. Relaunch in light wind was pretty easy which you would expect from a wave kite.

Cant comment on jumping ability. I was pretty dazzled by the new bar and could not stop staring at it, I'm in love!

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
18 Aug 2016 6:32AM
Thumbs Up

NathanG
NSW, 139 posts
18 Aug 2016 2:49PM
Thumbs Up

I am confused.

If the slash has a pivot turn, what do we do with the pivot?

I am sure that it's all explained in the video, but I don't have 5.52 mins for advertising...

Thanks in advance for pearls of wisdom coming my way.

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
18 Aug 2016 3:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NathanG said...
I am confused.

If the slash has a pivot turn, what do we do the Pivot.

Trade it in on a SLASH - ya wally.

pro merc
NSW, 300 posts
19 Aug 2016 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NathanG said..
I am confused.

If the slash has a pivot turn, what do we do with the pivot?

I am sure that it's all explained in the video, but I don't have 5.52 mins for advertising...

Pivot = kite model. The Pivot is an all round kite and behaves differently to the Slash in turning a flying characteristics.

pivot turn = description of how the kite turns which is a very tight fast turn which is important for surf riders. This type of turn will create less pull and is why the Slash is marketed towards riders who ride strapless. If you want more power in the turn you can turn the bar less to get a bigger arc resulting in more pull.

Seems like everyone on here is trying to win a competition for "best smart ass comment" on every companies marketing material?! Some people do like the info given and there would be better discussions if we were not all taking the piss all the time :)

Naish have nailed their product vids this year with the designer and team riders talking about the kites and giving the inside thoughts on what the product is built/ designed for. Well worth a watch not only pretty footage and nice riding but also good info.

marco
WA, 316 posts
19 Aug 2016 1:09PM
Thumbs Up

The videos are great and worth to watch . Agree with pro merc, everyone is making some super meaningless comments here, unfortunately, the whole SB Kite forum is turned into that. Missing the good old days ......

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
19 Aug 2016 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

Hopefully there will be a demo floating around (wind permitting) when Naish come to the sunny coast.

JKimbler
317 posts
19 Aug 2016 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

Are they making the park still? Slash, Pivot, Park...all seem like basically the same kite.

DirkG
52 posts
19 Aug 2016 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

No, Park is gone.

weebitbreezy
619 posts
19 Aug 2016 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
marco said..
The videos are great and worth to watch . Agree with pro merc, everyone is making some super meaningless comments here, unfortunately, the whole SB Kite forum is turned into that. Missing the good old days ......

I'm not sure I agree.

1. There's always been plenty of irrelevant comments on here. You are just remembering the useful ones.
2. Maybe I missed it but I still couldn't work out why I'd want this over a Pivot. That drifts, has loads of depower but will jump as well. The video was so long either they forgot to say or I forgot due to boredom what this kite is really for. Plenty of shots of cross shore wind but it seemed to be a case of - here's a surf kite for our pro riders who don't pay their own gear but still want to surf and aren't allowed to use other brands. Having your pros say 'This kite really suits my riding' is worthless if you don't tell me what their riding style is.

Looks nice though. Given how good the Pivot was in generation 1, I'll be interested to see reviews vs the other surf kites

riddim1
QLD, 147 posts
20 Aug 2016 7:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
weebitbreezy said...
marco said..

I'm not sure I agree.

1. There's always been plenty of irrelevant comments on here. You are just remembering the useful ones.
2. Maybe I missed it but I still couldn't work out why I'd want this over a Pivot. That drifts, has loads of depower but will jump as well. The video was so long either they forgot to say or I forgot due to boredom what this kite is really for. Plenty of shots of cross shore wind but it seemed to be a case of - here's a surf kite for our pro riders who don't pay their own gear but still want to surf and aren't allowed to use other brands. Having your pros say 'This kite really suits my riding' is worthless if you don't tell me what their riding style is.

Looks nice though. Given how good the Pivot was in generation 1, I'll be interested to see reviews vs the other surf kites

Agreed, you have to pick the eyes out of all SB gear review comments. I find there is a lot of combined experience with majority of long time members peppered with a few grand-standers....such is life
I currently ride a 7 & 10 2016 Pivots. Switched from Parks last season. Couldn't be happier with the kites. Only draw back is the 10 has hardly been out of the bag. The 7 is now my all rounder. I'm very keen on reading reviews of this new Slash kite. I'll review myself back to back with Pivot if Briskites get some demos. I typically leave the first season of any new kite to see if there are any reliability issues. Let's see how this new Quad-Tex tech holds up. I'm loving the deeper profile of the Slash and the pivot turn capability. Promising signs Mr Naish....get well soon btw.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
20 Aug 2016 10:39AM
Thumbs Up

Takoon Log . . . Naish Slash . . . nearly got all the bodily functions covered, we just need a North Cum and an Ozone Chunder.

magotom
VIC, 22 posts
16 Sep 2016 3:43PM
Thumbs Up

using the 8/6 slash in Mauritus for the past 20 days and loving it. way better than pivots on wave, same low end, way more drifting.
cannot be more happy to have them.
here a small clip on the 8 and very low wind..

www.facebook.com/fabio.tomi.5/videos/10209897050200366/

tomme
VIC, 475 posts
18 Sep 2016 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
magotom said..
using the 8/6 slash in Mauritus for the past 20 days and loving it. way better than pivots on wave, same low end, way more drifting.

that looks a bit like an s plus board?

how does it go for you?

magotom
VIC, 22 posts
20 Sep 2016 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tomme said..
magotom said..

that looks a bit like an s plus board?

how does it go for you?

yes it is! tarantula model, 5'7". it is a super fast board in small to medium waves. loved it! struggle lil more on bigger waves, double to triple overhead (offshore wind in One EYe)

hargs
QLD, 634 posts
22 Sep 2016 6:47AM
Thumbs Up

So WTF was my comment deleted, it was tongue in cheek, not to mention I've been riding Naish exclusively for the past 13 years. This forum is becoming an absolute joke.

Apparently work is already underway on next years model the Naish Dump, but early reviews indicate it's a piece of crap.

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
26 Sep 2016 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting thread. Hopefully some more people who have ridden the Slash get on here to help those out that are actually curious on it's performance.

Here's a little bit more to explain the line up for 2017.

- 2017 Pivot, same awesome beast. Now in Quad-Tex. Great low end, massive boosts, good drift, super smooth power transfer during turns. Perfect kite for a general freeriding, jumping and general wave riding.

- 2017 Slash. Driven off the Pivot's design, is more swept back in the wing tips and slightly lower aspect providing amazing drift and stability. Very similar bottom end and turning sensation to the Pivot with light easy single handed bar input. Fast responding. The ultimate wave kite, also great freeriding and freestyle. Also in QUAD-TEX.

- 2017 Torch. Over the passed years the Park had slowly made advances on the Torch, til last year with the Park HD any further performance enhancements would basically make it a Torch. So for 2017 Naish have added ESP to their Torch and removed the Park from the lineup. ESP makes the Torch have a much faster responding depower, possibly even quicker to respond than the Park. The Torch is still the ultimate "C" kite and can be ridden in STD set up and ESP, so advanced riders get all the performance they need and Cruisers get a easy to manage high performance "C" kite experience. Also in Quad-Tex.

Ride safe,

JB

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2017 Naish Slash" started by toppleover