Thumbs Up

Rider: Weight~100 ,Level
Style: Wake, Freestyle
Weather: 13-20 knots
Build Quality: 10/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Disclosure: Team

My Comments:

The new 15m razor from Airush brings some nice changes. For me, being around the 100kg mark i have previously had a 13m as my big kite. I have looked at other kinds of things (SLE/ large kites) and have found it pretty tough to ride in anything under 17kn and to be really having any fun.
For a big C kite, the Razor is a lot of fun to ride, plenty of slack and also comes around quick enough to punt around and freeride on if you want to just pop around and have a bit of fun. I have been out on the 15M a few times and can say it is fantastic kite to get you going in not all that much wind, it also can hold a fair wack of wind if it picks up it does however make for some pretty quick impacts when it gets around the 20Kn mark.

Airush have done some work tuning the 5th line so all of these fly well straight out of the bag. the dynema load frame is tough as nails, gives the kite great shape even when under load.

Worth checking out if you are looking for something to get you going in the light stuff or for the heavier guys.

Happy to answer any questions and will get some pics up soon.

daveisthekotz
NSW, 111 posts
26 Sep 2016 10:20AM
Thumbs Up

You can see this is a team rider review. I would maybe believe you if you said you got out in 16kts, especially at 100 kegs. Pure C kites are notorious for bad low end, and just coz its a Razor doesn't magically mean it gets an extra 3-4 kts; you can't be feeding this bull** to people. Maybe if you were riding a door, or a mini mal, but no way on a wakestyle/freestyle board with boots, as you should with a Razor. These kites are not light wind kites... AT ALL. You want to ride in 13-12 knots you buy a Lithium.

Will agree on the top end aspect though. I held a 14.5 vegas to 25 knots a few weeks back, epic stability. Hopefully can try out the new razor this year. Pics would be nice.

tomme
VIC, 475 posts
26 Sep 2016 8:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
daveisthekotz said..
You can see this is a team rider review. I would maybe believe you if you said you got out in 16kts, especially at 100 kegs. Pure C kites are notorious for bad low end, and just coz its a Razor doesn't magically mean it gets an extra 3-4 kts; you can't be feeding this bull** to people. Maybe if you were riding a door, or a mini mal, but no way on a wakestyle/freestyle board with boots, as you should with a Razor. These kites are not light wind kites... AT ALL. You want to ride in 13-12 knots you buy a Lithium.

Will agree on the top end aspect though. I held a 14.5 vegas to 25 knots a few weeks back, epic stability. Hopefully can try out the new razor this year. Pics would be nice.

Skim board in 13, 142 livewire from 16. mate was on zephyr and a door and flew passed me. Agree it isnt the focus but **** if it gets me out at 100kegs having fun instead of sinking or on the beach then it does the job.

ill get some pics up soon, amazing how much bigger it is than the 13, I know that sounds strange but will get a shot to illustrate.

tomme
VIC, 475 posts
9 Oct 2016 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

out in 14/15kn on the skim with plenty of power so so stable. will get a pic with me standing under it (to give a sense of how deep it is)

strydz
QLD, 136 posts
9 Oct 2016 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

I've never used a razor but don't see why you couldn't be riding at 13 kn with the 15, even with a twin tip. I'm 90 kg and can throw a few tricks and mow the lawn easily at sub 15 kn on a 13 C kite and wake style board.

daveisthekotz
NSW, 111 posts
10 Oct 2016 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
strydz said..
I've never used a razor but don't see why you couldn't be riding at 13 kn with the 15, even with a twin tip. I'm 90 kg and can throw a few tricks and mow the lawn easily at sub 15 kn on a 13 C kite and wake style board.

No chance do i believe that.

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
10 Oct 2016 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh I don't think so. Definitely with a runout tide at 4knots but now way with out a tide assist.

Yesterday I had a 12m with 15knots, wakestyle board and no tide assist at 75kg and it was painful.

Even with a 15m light wind kite, you still need 15knots to have fun in.

If you have a strong tide against wind tho you can get out in anything. 15knots + 4 knots of tide gives you 19knots of apparent wind

daveisthekotz
NSW, 111 posts
10 Oct 2016 4:43PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone reading this shouldn't consider a big C kite a light wind kite. You want sub 15 knots... buy a dedicated light wind kite. Don't complain when a monster c kite is heavy and cumbersome. Pro's like to ride big kites because they don't move when they do handle passes. Not because it gets them riding in sub 15 knots. If the wind is light, they put their light wind kites up.

I would however LOVE to give this kite a crack in 17 knots.

strydz
QLD, 136 posts
10 Oct 2016 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

In no way am I saying C kites are good light wind kites and they have nothing on a dedicated LW kite. But I know what wind I can get out in on my gear, and yes I can't go out and throw big unhooked tricks in under 15 but you can get going.

daveisthekotz
NSW, 111 posts
11 Oct 2016 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

I just don't want some noob coming on here and reading this thinking that he has found the perfect light wind kite. There are already enough Kooks in the sport. Don't want to see another idiot struggling because he has bought the wrong kite. Unfortunately the market for C kites is not very big in Australia...

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2017 Airush Razor- 15M" started by tomme