Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2016 Ozone contact bar

Created by wheels > 9 months ago, 31 Jan 2017
wheels
WA, 203 posts
31 Jan 2017 5:09PM
Thumbs Up

hi
I have just brought a second hand 2016 ozone bar and lines and tested for equal line length and I need to adjust the back lines but this only seems possible at the kite end as apposed to older model where you adjust lines at the bar which to me is much more practical. Does anyone who has the newer bars know the correct way to shorten red and blue rear lines at the bar.
Does not seem right to have loose line flapping around the bridal connection area?.
cheers

nuboy08
4 posts
31 Jan 2017 5:22PM
Thumbs Up

Yea man. In the same boat. Second hand bar and the center lines were a little stretched.
Got told by the local Ozone dealer the you just adjust at the kite. Not the best design from a good company.
I had about 40mm gap between bar and chicken loop. Some say that is alright. Stock is touching.
Any other ideas on bar/chicken loop position.

wheels
WA, 203 posts
31 Jan 2017 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

Adjust the kite are they joking, what happens when I use a different bar, another issue is the two knots on the red and blue line that are supposed to be for adjustment make it much harder to untangle lines when setting up.
I have opposite problem to you with my centre lines about 100mm shorter than my back lines, the bar I have is less than a year old, I probably have to go with some small extension on my front line to fix it, not happy.

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
31 Jan 2017 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wheels said..
Adjust the kite are they joking, what happens when I use a different bar, another issue is the two knots on the red and blue line that are supposed to be for adjustment make it much harder to untangle lines when setting up.
I have opposite problem to you with my centre lines about 100mm shorter than my back lines, the bar I have is less than a year old, I probably have to go with some small extension on my front line to fix it, not happy.

From memory Ozone had 3 knots under the floats - like most brands do.
Airush had a different set up, you could adjust the fronts from up near the trim cleat. Plus they had long pigtails on the steering lines up at the kite end, with 3 or 4 knots.
If you don't like flapping up there, cut it off.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
31 Jan 2017 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

attatch all lines on a fixed point with a solid hold, fully trim atb ( full power) toggle, pull bar all the way to chicken loop and apply force, then look at your lines to get a visual on which have shrunk, simply apply plenty of pressure to stretch them back to equal lengths,
there 350/380 kg strain so you wont snap them, yes it was easier on old bar but still a 5 min fix

Nuking
NSW, 83 posts
31 Jan 2017 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

If you don't have adjustment under the floats try stretching your back lines. Attach the knots to a caribena / post or something solid and pull hard on the bar a couple of times. Check the length of the rear lines match the front lines.

Nuking
NSW, 83 posts
31 Jan 2017 10:37PM
Thumbs Up

Beet me to it Cauncy!

wheels
WA, 203 posts
31 Jan 2017 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stretching sounds like good idea thanks, I think maybe because the bar is very short 40cm, maybe this could be the reason the back lines are longer as line look new as have full color and don't look like they have had enough use to stretch, and previous owner said he only used it a hand full of times.
I hope stretching the front lines dosnt weaken them in any way?

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
1 Feb 2017 7:53AM
Thumbs Up

Designing the perfect bar and lines, its a never ending challenge so it seems. Look at all the bar offerings this year for example.
Ozone chose to put the knots at the kite end after a lot of testing and discussion with dealers and riders worldwide, they felt it was better than under the floats and allowed them to have strong and soft bar ends. In practice I prefer the knots on the ends of the lines, I do use the different knots frequently, well at least the middle one and the one furthest from the end, but I never use the very end knot.

The middle knot is the factory setting and is slightly depowered, to allow for some initial stretch in the lines, yes lines do both stretch and shrink (just to make things more interesting for us tweakers). I use the knot furthest from the end when the wind might be towards the low end of the kite I have chosen to use. If I use this knot I always trim about 2-3cm so that I do not oversheet and stall the kite accidentally. These tips apply across the whole range of Ozone tube kites.

When I use the knot furthest from the end, the bit thats hanging out never causes an issue, and I regularly crash my kite in waves. Ozone tested this extensively before bringing this system to market. The trade off I agree is that untangling the ends can be a PITA sometimes.

To the OP, stretch out your front lines, make sure they are well connected to something solid and give them a solid yank, you may even do better doing each one separately, then together, I'm pretty confident that you will get them back within spec doing this. If you have any problems getting them sorted PM me.

CAUTION
WA, 1097 posts
2 Feb 2017 12:44PM
Thumbs Up

i use the old bar without soft ends and found recently my kites were stalling more than usual, i.e. front lines stretched.
options are, depower inch to 2, tho this reduces your depower amount. I ended up putting some piggies on the end of kite rear lines about an inch long. worked a treat.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2016 Ozone contact bar" started by wheels