Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2016 Naish Skater 5'2 vs 2016 Airush Cypher 5'4 ?

Created by mikesids > 9 months ago, 23 Feb 2016
mikesids
131 posts
23 Feb 2016 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 85kg , Intermediate

Looking for a surfboard for gutless, crumbly onshore mush for 15-25knot winds - wanting to get more fun from these sessions. No real push from these types of waves so my WAM doesn't go the best.

Wondering if anyone has ridden both of the above and can offer thoughts as to how they compare. Wanting a shorter length board with a lively feel and snappy turning, tough enough to handle some jumping. .

Cheers in advance.

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
23 Feb 2016 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

Maybe also consider the Nugget from north or secret weapon from Cabrhina

Livit
WA, 542 posts
23 Feb 2016 1:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
harry potter said..

I recently got the opportunity to strip a North Whip. Their construction is scary. Never a North board again....

castill0jf
VIC, 563 posts
23 Feb 2016 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

hi

I have demo the Naish Skater 5.4 on 20 Knots on a 10 meter Ride Kite. I will buy one as soon as find a good deal. I like it because
great upwind
snappy turns

cheers

hargs
QLD, 634 posts
23 Feb 2016 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

I've got a 5'2" Skater & ride it with 8m Pivot/10m Park. Awesome board, super quick, turns on a dime and I boost all day long and often land hard & flat - so far so good, I'm 90 or so kg's.

bigtone667
NSW, 1502 posts
23 Feb 2016 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

I have the 5'6" skater and I use it for medium to high wind riding (with straps). Comments from my peers are that I ride waves better on this than any other board.

I also have the 2014 nugget/2016 CSC nugget and they are both crackers as well in light to medium winds in sloppy stuff.

deanrobi
VIC, 641 posts
23 Feb 2016 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

For that sort of wind range and using the vanguard shape why wouldn't you consider something even smaller? the kite is going to give you your lift and speed, the board is just for slashing the wave. I'm thinking more about good rails, rocker, tail and fin set up, a little concave under the nose.

For similar conditions as you mentioned I looking a 4'8" Sunova custom

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
23 Feb 2016 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
deanrobi said..
For that sort of wind range and using the vanguard shape why wouldn't you consider something even smaller? the kite is going to give you your lift and speed, the board is just for slashing the wave. I'm thinking more about good rails, rocker, tail and fin set up, a little concave under the nose.

Mines 5'3, i can not fault this board.

JacobMatan
WA, 431 posts
24 Feb 2016 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

I got to have a couple sessions on the 5'6 cypher, I really liked this board. I haven't tried other vanguard style boards but this one seemed like a bit of a cross between the full vanguard and a regular surfboard. It was a good mix between being wide and stable with a lot of float and glide and carry through the turns and also having really good control with nice snappy turns, upwind was really good, I was riding strapless and going upwind would tend to ride the front part going upwind but could easily get the foot back to throw in a turn, it was quite fast and surprisingly smooth through chop for a board that is 20" wide.

Construction was the heavier of airush's 2 options and it felt really solid fairly heavy but I reckon it would be able to take a beating

I am 105kgs for reference and the 5'6 felt like a really nice size for me

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
24 Feb 2016 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
deanrobi said..

Please post review once ridden!

Geez - take a look at the Naish and the Sunover posted above. I know which one I'd prefer!!

coreyb
WA, 463 posts
25 Feb 2016 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

I have only ridden the Airush compact 5'4. I am a big fan. It goes up wind super well, it has amazed me how far up it points compared to other people out at the same time.

It turns nice and tight as you would expect from a short board. It feels quite stable and doesn't wobble from rail to rail during bottom turn to top turn combos.
Mine is the fly tech construction so it is a tad heavier than an average surfboard, but it is lighter than a lot of other kite boards. I wouldn't hesitate to jump with it.
The only down side is when it's absolutely nuking, it can be tricky to control and switch between rails. I have only found this on days when I'm overpowered on a 6. My old Compact was much better on those conditions.

Construct
VIC, 19 posts
27 Feb 2016 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

How do they all go in the chop?

hargs
QLD, 634 posts
27 Feb 2016 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

I live/kite at Yeppoon so it's pretty wind blown chop most of the time and my Naish Skater handles it well, very smooth ride.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
27 Feb 2016 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Livit said..

harry potter said..

I recently got the opportunity to strip a North Whip. Their construction is scary. Never a North board again....

More info please?

Construct
VIC, 19 posts
27 Feb 2016 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

Lighter winds?

Livit
WA, 542 posts
27 Feb 2016 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said..

Livit said..

harry potter said..

More info please?

Dry laminate. The photos were taken straight after sanding, no repairs have been done previously so if you have a bit of board building knowledge, you can understand the importance for North to paint their boards... In this case, the paintwork was hiding a (very) poor craftmanship.

I will probably start a thread on this one but I guess the admins are likely to delete it.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
27 Feb 2016 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Livit said..

Kamikuza said..

Livit said..

harry potter said..

More info please?

Dry laminate. The photos were taken straight after sanding, no repairs have been done previously so if you have a bit of board building knowledge, you can understand the importance for North to paint their boards... In this case, the paintwork was hiding a (very) poor craftmanship.

I will probably start a thread on this one but I guess the admins are likely to delete it.

Was that an older Nugget? I'd heard they delaminated a lot...looks bad to me, but I know diddly

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2016 Naish Skater 5'2 vs 2016 Airush Cypher 5'4 ?" started by mikesids