Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2016 F-one bandit, 9m

Created by lynxmo0 > 9 months ago, 18 Nov 2015
lynxmo0
WA, 57 posts
18 Nov 2015 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

Soulkite (soulkiteaustralia.com/) has kindly organised a few demo sessions with the new Bandit 2016 and I was one of the lucky ones to try the new model. I haven't been able to find a review or test online yet. So, I have decided to share my first impression with you all.

Test conditions:
Spot type: flat water (Point Walter, Bicton WA)
Wind: 20-25 knots
Equipment: Bandit 2016 9m with settings "in the middle" + twintip with boots
My weight: 85-90 Kg
My style: All around. I tend to do wakestyle below 25 knots and big air/kiteloops above 25 knots. I really enjoy all the sliding tricks (darkslide, hand drag, etc.) and don't mind wave riding from time to time.

I have been riding with the bandit since the 1st edition 9 years ago and although the kite looks exactly the same as the previous edition, it "feels" very different. It is in my opinion the biggest difference in terms of behavior between 2 consecutive versions of the Bandit.

Here is what F-one has to say about the new Bandit: www.f-one.world/product/bandit-xii/
This year, the bandit comes with a very colorful for style and as usually, you can choose from a large panel of colors. As I said the shape looks very similar with the bandit 2015. I haven't noticed any major difference on the bar except a change of color (blue on the right size).

Right after the launch, I immediately felt that the pressure in the bar has been reduced. The kite is also flying differently and tends to fly at the edge of the window probably due to the bridle changes.
On the water, the feeling in the bar reminded me of the Slingshot RPM and the kite flying behavior could almost be associated to the North Vegas.

Let's start with the cons. The immediate impression I had coming from the bandit 2015 was a loss of power, reactivity and control. Reduced power because the kite is more flying on the edge of the windows. You need to balance/work it more and you get less acceleration and speed. Reduced reactivity: you don't get a lot of acceleration/power when you pull the bar and the kite turns probably faster but take a bit more time to react. Reduced control due to the reduced pressure in the bar; I could almost not feel the wind gusts (lot of people will like this though) via the bar. I could ride the bar fully pulled at 90% of the time. This being said, I might have to further test the kite and get used to its new behavior. These are just first impressions based on a 30min session.

What I really liked about the kite:
Its stability has been greatly improved and it is now less sensible to wind variations and it is more consistent. After getting used to the kite, this might actually result in a better control. I also really liked the way the kite is quickly and nicely coming up to catch you after a kiteloop. The kiteloops feel better and more consistent. Feels like hang time has been improved. The major improvement I could see is probably the performance in unhooked tricks. As the kite is flying more on the edge of the window, it offers a better slack in the line which is very very enjoyable when passing the bar even over 20-25 knots. Riders trying their first handle passes will love it. The reduced reactivity also offers better success chances for wake style tricks.

I could not test it but I imagine that wave riders will like the changes as the kite offers a better "dragging".

As a conclusion, the Bandit stays in my opinion one of the best all around kite. It appears its program is now a bit more focused on new school which is in line with the current trends. People who would like to have a all around kite and progress in new school tricks will definitely like the changes. Some Bandit riders will probably need a period of adaptation or change settings to get used to the new behavior of the kite. I'm personally looking forward to get one of these kites to further progress with new school tricks. Beginners looking for new kite will also probably like it as the kite is more stable, less reactive and forgives mistakes.

Feel free to share and leave your comments.
And thanks again to Soulkite for giving me this opportunity!

Addikt
WA, 551 posts
19 Nov 2015 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

Dam, would love to upgrade to a new quiver, currently on B6's all the reviews are pointing to more hang time and faster turning......pity they are so expensive.........???

strekke
70 posts
20 Nov 2015 5:45AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Addikt,

I flew the Bandit 6's for 3 seasons, now switched to 2015 North Dice but my friend has the Bandits 8 (2015) which I have also flown extensively - honestly, I don't notice that much difference between the v6 and the v8. Sure, there might be some slight improvements/differences, but barely noticeable so don't break your head (or bank) over upgrading

Thecopterdr
QLD, 98 posts
23 Nov 2015 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

I moved away from the Bandits after riding them since 2008, The big reason being lack of power.
Last season I even dumped my new 11m and upgraded to a 12m to try and get more power.
This year I got rid of my 9m and 12m B7s and went to Switch kites, And what a difference! 30 Sessions in on my 12 and 9 and I wish I had of done it 2 years ago. The Bandits are nice but not good value for money especially when they flutter during kite loops and jellyfish madly.
Good review though lynxmo0

Addikt
WA, 551 posts
24 Nov 2015 4:11PM
Thumbs Up

Lol we do get caught up in the marketing hype.......

I tried Vegas last year, was also close to the some feel as Bandit but did not like 5-line, have been looking at the Dice as an option what's the boost like in comparison, might demo one in the next week or two if I can, also liking the new Enduro from Ozone, but hard to compare when you look at the price of Switch, for me the bar is a deal breaker I love the simplicity of the Fone bar and the new one is even cleaner, lines could do with a bit of beefing up but have only snapped them when caught up on another kite. Envy is also nice alternative but had a few people bag the build quality but sometimes I think people are just bagging it because they don't sell them.... new LF bar is nice probably closest to the Fone bar, North bar would have to grow on me.....!

Thecopterdr
QLD, 98 posts
28 Nov 2015 5:17PM
Thumbs Up

Funny you say that about the Fone bar, I put a B7 Bar on my Switch Nitro lines and I am now very happy.
For the price of the kite you don't mind forking out for the $150 for a decent bar.

junglist
VIC, 701 posts
7 Dec 2015 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

Disclaimer: No affiliation.

I was lucky to demo the 12M last weekend in marginal 15 to 18Kts (I rarely go out in -20Kts these days) and can echo the above comments that it appears to have lost some bottom end. I ride a Bandit 5 and the 5 seems to have more low end grunt. I am only talking about a couple of Kts difference but in 15 - 18 you do notice it.

That being said I did not notice any handling difference from the Bandit 5 or Bandit 7 (both my other kites) I felt the turning speed to be approximately the same, same reactivity to input. After a while I quite forgot that it wasn’t my Bandit 5 I was flying (a good thing as I love that kite).

Where I think the B9 is going to excel is in the boosts. My B7 is a very vertical boosting kite that just seems to drop you back out of the sky. This new Bandit seems to have a lot more float to the jump, a lot more hang time but hasn’t lost the vertical loft of the B7. I would love to fly this kite in 23 / 24+ as I think it will really come into its own at the higher end of its spectrum. In fact I think this kite will still be fun in much higher winds than previous Bandits.

Thanks to F-One Australia for the demo. The guys are doing a tour right now so these kites will be on demo at a beach near you soon. Worth checking out IMHO.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2016 F-one bandit, 9m" started by lynxmo0