Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2016 Cabrinha Control Bars

Created by CrashTestOZ > 9 months ago, 24 Aug 2015
CrashTestOZ
QLD, 75 posts
24 Aug 2015 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

For 2016 Cabrinah is brining a new control bar with a cleat trim system. What is the general opinion about this versus the spring recoil bar?

Here is the link www.cabrinha.com/collections/bars

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
24 Aug 2015 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

I chose to stick with the recoil... Was tempted by the new trimlite... But in the end I've never had a problem with the recoil system. I have had issues with clam cleats on my old slingshot kites. So that probably influenced my decision.

From what I have read and or been told ... The trimlite is lighter and looks less cluttered ( recoil is pretty neat anyway IMO) but the adjustment is a further from the bar than the recoil.

FlipFlop
38 posts
24 Aug 2015 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

Sticking with my 2015 bar for now too, I've never had an issue with the recoil either, usually I set a small amount of trim and leave it. New bars look great but I'm trying to not get caught up in all the marketing hype again and again. At the end of the day my 2015 bar is working great for me.

Rolls
VIC, 48 posts
25 Aug 2015 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

cleat bar has less depower length. It's also further away From the rider. Would be lighter.

Tempting moreso as I prefer the fixed bar length. Variable length is gimmicky IMO.... Never use it.

CrashTestOZ
QLD, 75 posts
26 Aug 2015 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

I am currently useing a fixed bar wth a cleat system. I like the fact that I can tell how much is my kite trimmed by looking at trim line length. How do you tel on a Cabrinah spring recoil bar?

dp89
VIC, 18 posts
26 Aug 2015 5:11PM
Thumbs Up

You can tell by looking at the black trim strap as to how much you have pulled in on the spring system bars. Adjustable length bar I agree is a gimmick

Smithy
VIC, 858 posts
26 Aug 2015 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

Fixed length 2015 work fine for me, I like one bar per kite so adjustable bar seemed pointless. 2015 bar is great and so simple to reset.

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
26 Aug 2015 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

I too thought the adjustable bar was a gimmick ( even posted about it at the time)
However I have completely changed my mind
Wider setting for surfing ( when you want a quick reaction ) and kite loops ( for faster turning )
Narrower setting for unhooked ( slower turning )

I now think it's brilliant

logger
VIC, 10 posts
23 Nov 2015 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like you cannot get recoil without having to get the adjustable overdrive system.

I would have thought any benefit from adjustable bar width could best be achieved if it allows you to adjust your hand width as well. Seemingly this system allows an increase in line spacing, without a corresponding increase in hand spread (UNLESS you are gripping beyond the corner of the bar). Doesn't this somewhat defeat the purpose? Because there is no increase in fulcrum if that is the correct term.

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
23 Nov 2015 10:33PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ but there is an increase in fulcrum and hand/ grip width becomes irrelevant. As long as the bar becomes wider the distance travelled at the end of the bar is greater hence more steering line pulled for the same input and therefore faster turning.
I.e you can still hold the bar with one hand in the middle and roll your wrist to turn the kite our grip width has nothing to do with the how much steering line is pulled... But the length of the bar does.

CJ2478
NSW, 483 posts
27 Nov 2015 7:40AM
Thumbs Up

I have a 2016 1X overdrive bar with the recoil depower and think it's great, especially coming from the older 2012/2013 IDS bars (still good, just hard to reset QR).

I have found overdrive pretty useful when the wind drops a little bit and I can't be bothered to adjust which knot the steering line pigtail attaches to on the kite to get a but more power out of it.

No problems with the recoil depower yet, but on one of my older bars the strap used to get jammed in the buckle... Hopefully this issue is non recurrent.

One thing I have noticed though is that the adjustable ends seem to have sand built up in them from having the bar on the beach after landing the kite. I think I didn't have the overdrive tabs (things you pull on to release the locking mechanism) pushed into their recess on the bar after adjustment while riding.

Does anyone else experience this issue and if so do you know how to get the sand out again?

Odeliska
WA, 14 posts
25 Oct 2016 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

I've got the 2014 1X and find it difficult (nearly impossible) to adjust the recoil trim strap system when hammering on my 6m kite. No probe with the recoil on the IDS 2013 with my 8m however .
I like the simplicity and fine tuning ability of the cleat system I had with my RRD and F-One kites. Looking to move back to cleat if I can find a used one at a good price And trying to find out if it will retrofit my 2013 & 2014 Switchblades.

colin71
NSW, 64 posts
5 Nov 2016 4:03PM
Thumbs Up

I sold my recoil and switched to a trimline, so much better. I thought recoil was bulky, often took several yanks before it would release enough to sheet out (same experience as Odeliska) and felt over built. The new trimline version is quite a nice bar and is relatively simple. So far the bungy line works well. Really comes down to personal preference...

ArtVandelay
76 posts
7 Nov 2016 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

Having used only the recoil for about 4 years, just switched to the trimlite and the immediate difference I noticed was not having the weight of the spring and paraphernalia bouncing up and down on the lines and feeling that transferred to the bar.
Never realised until it wasn't there, now it feels like the new bar is weightless in comparison.

GMK-KiteSurf
NSW, 128 posts
25 Nov 2016 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

I just wash out the sand with water from a tap and soak bar in tube of water for 30mns. Never had a problem with sand.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2016 Cabrinha Control Bars" started by CrashTestOZ