12 Oct 2015 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

Kite: 2016 Airush Wave 7m and 9m
Conditions: 1-2.5M swell, 13-22knts, down the line quality wave
Rider: advanced, strapless
Board/s: 2016 5'7" Airush Compact and 5'11" Airush Converse
Supplier: Airborne Kitesurfing (WA)

Comments:
Instantly fun feeling kites, responsive, quick turning, smooth, can drift at high speed even in minimal wind, light feel, excellent depower, quick setup, no-brainer line connections, easy pump up, quality construction, grunge styling, classy high quality bags (verging on 'hipster') and good set of spares, quick kite loops, great upwind ability and decent wind range. Paired with Airush Core Bar which is light, soft, comfortable, can be extended, has simple intuitive safety release and easy depower adjustment.

Overall, it was 'love at first kite' and wave riding performance outstanding. We had a session where the wind was really light, the swell was up and the tide way down giving a clear view of the reef on some waves, charging down the line towards the kite - the drift ability was awesome and the kite maintained line tension with minimal input required. High wind performance was also excellent and the instant depower ability and gust absorbing feel kept your centre of gravity over the board making it the perfect choice for strapless wave riding.

Verdict:
Super stoked with these kites and would recommend to anyone chasing a top performing wave kite.

oldmic
NSW, 343 posts
13 Oct 2015 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

good one nath, don't see many AR Waves this side of the country...
I've the 9m and 6m wave from 2014 so a few seasons old can only imagine the improvements.
couldnt agree more these kites are surf perfect.

high as a kite
SA, 1312 posts
14 Oct 2015 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

Agree Nath, I have the 2016 10 Wave and its the ducks gutts down the line.

It replaced a 10 Lithium, man its more user friendly around 20 knots.

Seems to have a bit more power than 2014 waves.

The new core bar is great but I'm missing my 16 metre lines, 18 meter lines are ok though.

high as a kite
SA, 1312 posts
14 Oct 2015 1:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dowls said..
good one nath, don't see many AR Waves this side of the country...
I've the 9m and 6m wave from 2014 so a few seasons old can only imagine the improvements.
couldnt agree more these kites are surf perfect.

Hey dowls, the 2014 9m wave is one sweet kite.

I haven't used the 2016 9m but I reckon the 2014 9m wave is a keeper.

windtzu
93 posts
4 Nov 2015 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

"Love at first kite" I experienced the same when I used my 2013 9 m Wave last year. While I still like my 12 m Lithium in light winds on the directional (Airush Cypher 5'6 and Naish Alaia) but anything over 18, the Wave is the nuts. I still have my 9 m Lithium. In terms of power, it's more like a 10 m compared to the 9 m Wave. The Lithium's have a special charm all their own and it's hard to part with, I learned on one. It's time to let go of my "woobie" though. .... Hmm, Wave 12 m to replace the Lithium as well perhaps? Lighter winds are a different animal though, flat water and all. I'd want to demo one first.

I was out on my 2103 Airush Varial X 6 m last week in 26 plus - nice bump n jump waves at low tide w/ Cypher. It's been some time since I've used the Varial, and that's when I really noticed the difference between it and the wave. The Varial 6 m is a spectacular high wind kite, stable, fast, turning, responsive, big top end, even has a fair amount of drift...using the analogy; just like a well refined sports car. But it is a freestyle kite and while it can work as a wave kite, it's not ideal - shoots to the front of the window and not much on the bottom end - prefers to be "revved" up and or well powered. I make it work but after riding the Wave, I'm spoiled.

I'm wondering which size Wave should I go with from the 9 meter, the 6 or 7 meter? At 72 kg I can comfortably ride the 9 meter up 25 knots and stretch it on the lit end. If I opt for the 7 m Wave I may miss out on those 32 plus days. I'm guessing the 6 m Wave will have at least a slightly better bottom end the the same size Varial X' and much of it's top end.

Your thoughts?

Good post guys!

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
5 Nov 2015 8:08AM
Thumbs Up

Personally I'd go the 7m, keep your wave kite sizes close. Once up into those winds you want to be able to dial into the sweet spot more easily. Get a 6m, sure you might be out in those few 32 plus day, but there will be a lot of days you will be sitting on the beach scratching your head on whether to put the 9 or 6 up. The waves got a great top end, be surprised I reckon how high you could take a 7m. Maximise the kite time in the air given the money output.

mazdon
1196 posts
5 Nov 2015 8:34AM
Thumbs Up

^^epps is bang on imo
i have been happy with 9, 6 for a while since the funds pretty much dictated it, but have felt a few "sweet spots" missed more recently (plus i think the 6 rides a bit small, so is great in 30+ but can miss the mark in solid 25+ at times for my amount of pies) and i think it is time to add a 7 into the back of the car. thankfully xmas is coming!

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
5 Nov 2015 11:32AM
Thumbs Up

I'm about the same weight as you (72kg) & had 9 & 7 Waves. The few days I was overpowered on the 7m, IMO weren't much fun kiting anyway.

windtzu
93 posts
7 Nov 2015 12:59AM
Thumbs Up

Eppo: "...but there will be a lot of days you will be sitting on the beach scratching your head on whether to put the 9 or 6 up."

That's exactly what I wrestle with at times. Just recently I was going to my truck to pull out the 9 only to grab the 6 and then back again to get the 9, when what I really needed was a 7m.

Mazdon: "The few days I was overpowered on the 7m, IMO weren't much fun kiting anyway." Good point. Kiting in 35 plus is exhilarating but not always fun.

I'll get a 7 m Wave, and for what small used kites sell for (6 m) it will be worth just keeping for those extra windy sessions.

Thanks all for your good council!

coreyb
WA, 463 posts
8 Dec 2015 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

Im a big fan of the wave kites. Have been running a 6 & 9 for the last few years. This years kite isn't much different to the last years. The colours are new and pretty cool looking. The reinforced canopy is a little different. The bar is much skinner to hold. Not sure if Im a fan yet or not, will take a little getting used to.

I agree with some of the comments above how there can be a miss in the sweet spot with these two kites and a 7 would be good. If you can have 3 kites, for sure it would mean your set for pretty much everything. Im not sure how experienced the above guys are, but with the faster flying kites such as a wave you can generate apparent wind and get away with using a 6 on the marginal days. Especially if you unhook and keep the load on your kite constant through bottom turn / top turn combo.

Or depending on your mood, you can go out slightly overpowered and boost some airs. They still fly quite well depowered, but likely to be a bit of a handful if riding no straps when well overpowered.

I find with this combo doing the Perth downwinders I can get out nearly all days and no day is too windy for the 6. It comes in handy aswell in winter. I use the 6 when the sand on the beach starts getting blown, which is around 18kts. I weigh about 70kgs.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2016 Airush Wave" started by Nath