11 May 2016 4:14AM
Thumbs Up

Flysurfer Boost 2 11m

Rider: Weight 80kg ,Level (advanced)
Style: Freeriding, Surf.
Weather: Overcast, wind 25kts gusting 35knots
Build Quality: 9/10
Satisfaction: 10/10
Disclosure: After flying this kite, no longer a KSS ALTONA liquidforce team rider.

My Comments:
I've got to say that I bought this Kite without knowing much about it at all.
It came about when I was bragging to a friend on how good the liquid force Solo was and that it was an all-rounder that could not be beat. I told him that I have flown most kites out there already and that I haven't found a better kite yet.
But he kept on insisting that there is a better kite than The Solo and that's when he mentioned the Flysurfer boost 2
Well that started a war, I told him I've never heard much about it and if it was any good, why don't I see more guys using it.
I told him from all the kites I have tried I would be buying the North Dice, the Naish Pivot and the Cabrinha Switchblade because they suit most people's style.
Well he insisted that it was heaps better than any of those kites and that its great for freestyle, Freeride, Old school and new school style.
I knew that the solo and switchblade are big boosting kites and are also ok in the surf but I knew they weren't any good for unhooking.
Well with out flying it I bought one.On Monday, it was in my position, Tuesday it was in the air at Saint Kilda.
I have flown many other brands over my years of kiting and I have never experienced anything like this thing, OMFG. This kite is going to change the Kiting industry, its a true all-rounder.
As I said I originally didn't know much about this kite and it's been said that The Boost 2 has been refined with better up wind, bigger jumping and lots more hang time. F..k all that is so true, it goes up wind at an angle that I never thought possible. It boosted bigger than any of the kites that were out there today, it looped like my six meter, that's how quick it turned.
I had the six meter liquid Force NRG out because it was gusting up to 37 knts when I first got there then as it dropped down to about 30 knts, it was time to bring out the 11 meter boost 2.
Most of the guys had their 7s 8s and 9s out there.
Here I was with the 11. I wasn't sure how I was gonna handle being on such a big kite with 30knt winds, boy did it handle, I was looping the kite out of every turn doing down loops on the way down from massive jumps, but I just didn't have the confidence yet to loop while boosting as I still need to get used to the kite.
This thing is amazing and I'm not just saying that.
I had the kite moving around With loops and spins and the usual moves that I normally do with total confidence.
Now the rip off the water was unreal, the G Force was amazing Ps I noticed I'm now 3inches taller
There is no way I could've done what I did today with my nine meter solo.
Well the high end seems F..CK..G AWESOME I need to wait for a low wind day to see what it's low end is like.
Stay tuned, more to come.

loftywinds2
185 posts
12 May 2016 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Spartan said..
Disclosure: After flying this kite, no longer a KSS ALTONA liquidforce team rider.

I told Steve to get into Flysurfer

Nice frothing review Spartan.

I am eyeing the Boost 1 15m for light winds. I reckon it would be an amazing kite.

noodelsrominov
VIC, 265 posts
12 May 2016 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds interesting. Do you need to change settings on kite for different styles? Anyone demo them in Vic?

Spartan
VIC, 42 posts
13 May 2016 6:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
noodelsrominov said..
Sounds interesting. Do you need to change settings on kite for different styles? Anyone demo them in Vic?

No you don't have to change settings on the kite, you just change the fast or slow setting on the bar.
For freeride, or for surf and Boosting you have it on the fast tuning setting and for Freestyle and foiling you put it on slowly turning setting.

In regards to trying the kite is no one demoing in Victoria but if you would like to try mine you're more than welcome.
Here is a video I found on some of the boys in action and Vid two is on how the kite works .

pK7mID4__.

Cygnify
QLD, 117 posts
13 May 2016 8:50AM
Thumbs Up

Im guessing it is somewhat similar to an xr4. Can anyone compare? Faster turning in the boost2? Anything else?

Looks like my dream kite :)

Redgy
WA, 117 posts
13 May 2016 6:57AM
Thumbs Up

Sound like a good kite, the best of everything

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
13 May 2016 1:03PM
Thumbs Up

Does it drift down the line?

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
13 May 2016 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

cant believe they weren't using double rip stop previously thank Christ i didn't buy they're old inflatables

jamesperth
WA, 610 posts
13 May 2016 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

I've got Boost 1 13m in the test fleet - I'm sure it's double rip stop. I'll check and post a pic tomorrow.

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
14 May 2016 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

fs are up theyre with theyre cloth tech so was a bit blown out when he said NOW WITH D2!! maybe just german bad english not realiseing saying that means previously they didnt

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
14 May 2016 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kozzie said..
fs are up theyre with theyre cloth tech so was a bit blown out when he said NOW WITH D2!! maybe just german bad english not realiseing saying that means previously they didnt

*their

I think. Hard to understand the first part of the that sentence. Your English not so good either . . . Not so hard to add capitals, is it?

noodelsrominov
VIC, 265 posts
14 May 2016 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Spartan, looks like the low end of the 11 is pretty bloody good! I got to rosebud at 3:30pm to see the only one out there was you...assuming that it was you in the Spartans battle helmet and flying the only Boost2 I've ever seen.
What size board were you on?
I'm extremely interested in this kite now.

Spartan
VIC, 42 posts
14 May 2016 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
noodelsrominov said..
Hey Spartan, looks like the low end of the 11 is pretty bloody good! I got to rosebud at 3:30pm to see the only one out there was you...assuming that it was you in the Spartans battle helmet and flying the only Boost2 I've ever seen.
What size board were you on?
I'm extremely interested in this kite now.

Yes mate that was me, I'm so wrapped in this kite it's got a great high-end and as you said also a fantastic lower end.
The board I was using was 150x45. The thing I love about this kite is that even though it's an 11 meter I couldn't believe I was still jumping and doing rotations with it with such low wind.
Today was my test for the low end on this kite and Im so wrapped with its performance I've just ordered the 9m and 15metre.
If you're interested PM me and I'll put you in touch with the supplier who is bringing them in from Germany.

kernal
WA, 541 posts
15 May 2016 6:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Spartan said...
noodelsrominov said..
with the supplier who is bringing them in from Germany.

The companys german half the team is german. But I spoke to one of the big wigs sons some years ago and he led me to believe they were manufactured in sea. Why send the kites all the way from sea then back again then to australia. Better off just sending them from factory to australia.

daddycool
WA, 337 posts
15 May 2016 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

Sounds a bit like my Peter Lynn Fury's but better........will have to save up:)

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
15 May 2016 3:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
daddycool said..
Sounds a bit like my Peter Lynn Fury's but better........will have to save up:)

Or the Peter Lynn Synergy, but better!

jamesperth
WA, 610 posts
15 May 2016 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

Glad your enjoying it Spartan. I'm getting a few enquiries over here in the West aswell.

What sizes are you guys most interesting in demoing ?

noodelsrominov
VIC, 265 posts
15 May 2016 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

I would like to demo an 11m or a 8m.

wingman
VIC, 126 posts
15 May 2016 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

8 or 11 sounds good to me James as well
when are you sending them over

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
15 May 2016 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

kitcho207
NSW, 861 posts
16 May 2016 9:41AM
Thumbs Up

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
16 May 2016 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

I would love to compare the Speed 5 15m against the Sonic 15m or the Chrono 2 15m and see how fast they turn and stable they are, for freestyle more than anything. I know the later two are great boost kites and I've seen guys jump pretty damn high on them.

Just2807
180 posts
16 May 2016 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

So? How much is this fantastic bottom end on that 11m? :D And ofc, on what board. I reckon with that kind of top end capability, low end would be sacrificed? I just can't believe the windrange lol. At least not in theory :D

I got a flysurfer buddy and i really believe in that top end, but whats the bottom?FS says 13-31, i know it can relaunch in that wind but, when is the "sweetspot" bottom starting? 16,17 kts?

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
17 May 2016 10:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Loftywinds said..
I would love to compare the Speed 5 15m against the Sonic 15m or the Chrono 2 15m and see how fast they turn and stable they are, for freestyle more than anything. I know the later two are great boost kites and I've seen guys jump pretty damn high on them.

ever fly the 15m hq matrix lofty? if so what was it like in comparison to the speed ?

Spartan
VIC, 42 posts
18 May 2016 5:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Just2807 said..
So? How much is this fantastic bottom end on that 11m? :D And ofc, on what board. I reckon with that kind of top end capability, low end would be sacrificed? I just can't believe the windrange lol. At least not in theory :D

I got a flysurfer buddy and i really believe in that top end, but whats the bottom?FS says 13-31, i know it can relaunch in that wind but, when is the "sweetspot" bottom starting? 16,17 kts?

During the week I had the kite out at 35 knts and on the weekend it was as low as 9 to 10 knts, I was on a Noble flyin carpet 150x45 I was the only one out, with easily staying up wind and I was jumping by the way, nothing too big of course, witnessed by everyone on the beach. there were guys trying but they couldn't stay up wind.
I would say the 11m is a one kite quiver

Cygnify
QLD, 117 posts
24 May 2016 8:00AM
Thumbs Up

gleiten.tv/index.php/video/action/view/v/2296/page/345/

Video review of the 11 and 18 sqm boost 2.

The valve problem they talk about in the review has been fixed/updated on the current boost2.

wishy
WA, 1501 posts
29 Jun 2016 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting, would love to try it back to back with the latest ozone edge.
Seems like a good shape for king airs.

ste
WA, 499 posts
29 Jun 2016 3:54PM
Thumbs Up

New edge is beast! Great kite like all the edges before. Would love to try the boost also, looks sick!

Spartan
VIC, 42 posts
12 Jul 2016 12:21AM
Thumbs Up

7m Boost Update

The wind was around 10 gusting to 12knts at the time but it was predicted it would pick up to 30knts. So I even though I had the 11m with me in the car, which was the more appropriate kite for the conditions, I was curious to see what the low end wind range of this kite was. So out it came, along with my Nobile flying carpet. Mind you there was no other guys that could get going even though they had 10s 11s and 12ms out. As I was heading over to the water I said to one of the guys as I passed this will be a very short session, he knew what ment as he noticed the Big number 7 on the side of the kite and just smiled. One swoop and off I went no problem, I couldn't believe I was moving so I just kept going and Then thought I should turn around cause I'd be going back doing the walk of shame, but no walk of shame needed cause upwind I went, but I realised I was going abut faster than I thought I'd be going, I recon it was because of the high aspect design of this kite it was building up aparent wind . As l was heading back to shore after 15 minutes, I noticed a friend standing at the shore with a 7m Neo and his light wind board a 1.70m Special which I have seen him in light winds but normally with a bigger kite, but because the wind was going to get stronger soon he thought he'd try his luck cause he saw me out there with my 7m, he and I are very competitive when it comes to light wind flying the best of times, but normally with our larger 15m kites. Now let's just say he was going along with his 7m but going down wind and there was lots of walking involved, the walk of shame to get off the sand banks. Then the wind picked up and every one was happy, exept me, because just being happy would be an under statement, I was over the moon and I also mean that literally, this thing can Boost just as its name says, But not only dose it Boost, it also brings you back to Earth with a hang time that's amazing and then with a glide back on the landing, it's an awesome feeling. All the small kites I have flown in the past take you up quick but you come down just as fast, that's why you see most guys down looping their small kites so they don't come crashing down. It's obviously because of the efficiancy of the high aspect design and if you are into looping it also great at that also.
I can't wait to get it flying again.

weebitbreezy
617 posts
12 Jul 2016 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like its a tasty kite Spartan!

Being fair to your mate on the Neo. The projected area of the Boost2 7m is more in line with an 8m Neo so you would expect it to be a little more juicy on the low end. Pretty sweet wind range though. I do fancy trying one out.

Spartan
VIC, 42 posts
13 Jul 2016 8:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
weebitbreezy said..
Sounds like its a tasty kite Spartan!

Being fair to your mate on the Neo. The projected area of the Boost2 7m is more in line with an 8m Neo so you would expect it to be a little more juicy on the low end. Pretty sweet wind range though. I do fancy trying one out.

Yep, all the more reason why I bought the Flysurfer Boost than any other brand, because of this project area and wind range. Better kite than all other kites I've flown, and I have flown many. At Altona we always swap kites amongst mates

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2016-2017 Flysurfer Boost 2" started by Spartan