Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2015 Naish Pivot 12m

Created by thorn > 9 months ago, 18 Sep 2014
thorn
WA, 172 posts
18 Sep 2014 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

I've had the 7,9 and 12m Naish Pivots for a while now. i still haven't tried the 9m but as I have spent the most time on the 12m I thought I would comment on It. My last kites were Ozone Edges which I loved but I found them lacking in the waves which is an area I want to explore more.

As an all rounder the Pivot is hard to beat. It really drifts well when I'm on the waves and the light bar pressure makes one handed kiting simple. Upwind is really good. The biggest surprise is the jumping. The boost is so controllable and the hang time makes for really soft landings.

With a name like Pivot I had to try kite loops. I found that if the kite is straight above you and you kite loop it really aggressively then it really does pivot and there is virtually no pull. However, if you do them slower in a bigger arc there is as much pull as any other kite.

I've had a few goes at relaunching and had no problem. It has an amazing bottom end and surprised me a few times when I would of normally put up my 17m I got away with the 12m (11knts on a twin tip, I'm 82kgs). The wind hasn't been strong enough yet to explore the upper range.

The new fusion bar feels good with some clever ideas for line adjustments. The two disadvantages for me are the below bar de-power which I find hard to pull and the above the bar swivel which, like most swivels worked only half of the time. Fortunately with the kite looping so easy it is quicker to just loop it rather than wait for the swivel. All the kites use the same sized bar so I only bought one.

The inflation system is really quick with a dual inflation/deflation valve. Nice bag but I still don't understand why manufacturers still put zips on them with all the salt problems we have. Ozone have used just a drawstring for years and it works great.

I'm no expert but hope this might give you some idea about the kite. As usual demoing is the answer. I got mine from Kite Addiction and found them really helpful.

skywalker3d
VIC, 228 posts
19 Sep 2014 12:35PM
Thumbs Up

Good review i found the same with mine love it.

Gilly3
QLD, 759 posts
19 Sep 2014 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

Hey thorn, what size edge's did u have and what year?

thorn
WA, 172 posts
19 Sep 2014 2:09PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Gilly
7, 9 11, 13, 15m, 2012 Edges

Gilly3
QLD, 759 posts
19 Sep 2014 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers mate, my go to kite at the moment is the 11m edge 2013, which I absolutely love, but have been hearing and reading good things about the Pivot lately.
My local shop has a demo in stock, so I might have to give it a run........

Thanks for the info!

apepene43
QLD, 112 posts
19 Sep 2014 6:50PM
Thumbs Up

with the 12m I am amazed at the bottom end power of this kite it can nearly be used as a light wind kite with the correct board. In hind site I would of bought the ten instead of the 12 it feels like has the power of a 14 and similar wind range to me

BrisKites
QLD, 1279 posts
19 Sep 2014 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

Not sure about the 12m yet but my 8m has plenty of grunt. Out with 11-13m kites a few times.

holgs
WA, 270 posts
20 Sep 2014 11:34AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Thorn,

I have an 11m Edge, a couple of Naish Parks and a Gaastra Jekyll. I like them all for different reasons and conditions. I love the 11m Edge in 12-15kn (80kg) and find that I hardly ever use my 17m Zephyr anymore. But when the wind picks up a bit, I like the fast turning, turning with slack steering lines (e.g. when riding towards the kite or when depowered), looping and general fun factor of the parks.

It would be great to have a kite that combines the best of the Edge with the Park Is the Pivot a bit like this?

How would you rate the light wind and jumping compared to the Edge ?

Cheers,
Holgs

thorn
WA, 172 posts
20 Sep 2014 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
holgs said..
Hey Thorn,

I have an 11m Edge, a couple of Naish Parks and a Gaastra Jekyll. I like them all for different reasons and conditions. I love the 11m Edge in 12-15kn (80kg) and find that I hardly ever use my 17m Zephyr anymore. But when the wind picks up a bit, I like the fast turning, turning with slack steering lines (e.g. when riding towards the kite or when depowered), looping and general fun factor of the parks.

It would be great to have a kite that combines the best of the Edge with the Park Is the Pivot a bit like this?

How would you rate the light wind and jumping compared to the Edge ?

Cheers,
Holgs

Hi Holgs

I don't think any kite boosts quite like an Edge. However I think the Pivot boosts really well with good hang time and considering that it drifts as well which the Edge doesn't it is a great compromise. I really do think it is one of the best all-round kites. Admittedly I haven't flown every kite but I have flown a lot. They tout it as being a free ride / wave kite and I think they have nailed it.

I also have a 17m Zephyr which is a fantastic kite but my 12m Pivot has such a good bottom end and that combined with a light wind twin tip sees me hardly using the Zephyr anymore in really light winds.I also prefer the the speed of the 12m compared to the 17m.

WA Surf
WA, 333 posts
20 Sep 2014 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

Definately found the Pivot to have plenty of grunt for their size and the boosting is awesome! The 7m gets you up there with the best of them.

We've put sliding stoppers on our demo bars and find this helps to limit the luffing of the kite that can happen if you sheet out too far. It makes wave riding a bit nicer knowing you can still completely depower without the back lines getting so loose that your kite tries to fall out of the sky. Cheap spare part from Naish that makes life even better on an already awesome kite.

Drew

hotballs
VIC, 112 posts
23 Sep 2014 2:49PM
Thumbs Up

what can be said about the top end of these . can you still hang on to a 12 in 25 knots?

WA Surf
WA, 333 posts
23 Sep 2014 1:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hotballs said..
what can be said about the top end of these . can you still hang on to a 12 in 25 knots?

Probably but the question is, why would you want to hang on to one in 25 knots?

Drew

hotballs
VIC, 112 posts
23 Sep 2014 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

2 kite quiver and 100kgs to tow about, thinking maybe 11 and 8 or 12 and 8

BrisKites
QLD, 1279 posts
23 Sep 2014 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

Either option could work. I guess you need to decide based on what bottom end you want. Obviously the 12 will go earlier.
As for the 8m I ride mine from about 18knt @ 87kg

hotballs
VIC, 112 posts
24 Sep 2014 8:09AM
Thumbs Up

gee thats allright for a bottom end. What size is your small kite then? i need to be covered to 40 knots

apepene43
QLD, 112 posts
24 Sep 2014 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

I think at 100kg 12and 8 would like to try the 14 for a light wind kite

terryzarmzof
QLD, 336 posts
6 Oct 2014 12:30PM
Thumbs Up

I got the 10m and find the bottom end is very good. At 70 kg it goes well in under 15 knots. Good boost with plenty float. Really enjoying it. Yet to get it in the surf. Only had 2 sessions. Swapped from parks and won't be going back.

Kamikuza
QLD, 5761 posts
6 Oct 2014 11:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WA Surf said..

hotballs said..

Probably but the question is, why would you want to hang on to one in 25 knots?

Drew

Really big, floaty jumps...?

New bar is sex. And carbon fiber, which is sweet but I wonder if the grip material will last...
Below the nar depower is easy, just a little technique. I noticed the swivel stuck too - short of lubing it I don't know how you'd get past that...

terryzarmzof
QLD, 336 posts
10 Oct 2014 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

got it out in some small waves and yes it does drift. set your line and speed and hold it high then your free to ride. nice kite

PRAWNDOG
WA, 306 posts
12 Oct 2014 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

Can we get some pics guys heard the build quality is awesome

terryzarmzof
QLD, 336 posts
14 Oct 2014 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

they changed some stuff, bar is a lot nicer. got the big inflate and dump valve in the one 2 peice valve. seems to have a big wind range too. had it out in 25 knots on monday and it handled it well, very stable when depowered and the jumps were large and it really hangs.

CRUZIN
WA, 55 posts
14 Oct 2014 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

Have been flying the pivots for a little while now, had a week up in Exmouth on them in the surf and on flat water.
would definitely go a size down from what you normally fly. I used to ride 8 & 10 parks, now fly 7 & 10. The bottom end is great, I can see that I will be using the 7 most of the summer.
I'm 86 kg on the seven when others lighter than me on 9 & 10
fantastic kite

WA Surf
WA, 333 posts
14 Oct 2014 10:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PRAWNDOG said..

Come and see us mate, got 7 + 9/10 in demo (depending on what gets asked for first).

PelleSwede
6 posts
18 Oct 2014 3:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WA Surf said..

PRAWNDOG said..

Come and see us mate, got 7 + 9/10 in demo (depending on what gets asked for first).

Select to expand quote
CRUZIN said..
Have been flying the pivots for a little while now, had a week up in Exmouth on them in the surf and on flat water.
would definitely go a size down from what you normally fly. I used to ride 8 & 10 parks, now fly 7 & 10. The bottom end is great, I can see that I will be using the 7 most of the summer.
I'm 86 kg on the seven when others lighter than me on 9 & 10
fantastic kite

Hi. It sounds like the Pivot would fit me better than my 2014 Park 10 does (2012 was better).
Sometimes I go on tt freeriding, jumps, rolls and transtionloops, always hooked. Sometimes I go on waveboard in waves, strapless.
The 10 m size has been very good on the Park (wind 18-25) for me, 75 kg. I understand that the power in the Pivot is smoother delivered
but is it more power in the Pivot ? Shall I go for a 9 Pivot instead of 10, as it is on my Park?
My set is Park 7, Park 10, Draft 12.

terryzarmzof
QLD, 336 posts
27 Oct 2014 6:17AM
Thumbs Up

I would go 7/10 but I don't think u will use the draft as much. Really tested out the top end on the ten lately and it's pretty impressive. How are you other pivot riders liking it? For me it keeps getting better and at its top end the boosts are wild. It goes so big. A couple guys here have demoed the 12 and say it's great. One has sold his dice to buy the pivot.

nigelw2
VIC, 237 posts
2 Nov 2014 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

Everyone seems to agree the Pivot is a big kite for its size and to buy a size smaller than normal. Can anyone compare there wind range to cab switchblades (2012)?

terryzarmzof
QLD, 336 posts
8 Nov 2014 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

They are no bigger just good bottom end.

wave6ft
QLD, 133 posts
7 Dec 2014 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

On my pivot on the canopy towards the wings it seems there is a double layer of meterial stiched on.The problem seems water gets stuck between the layers and wont come out and wont dry out after a few hours even in the sun design fault I think

Gtease
NSW, 11 posts
18 Dec 2014 9:06AM
Thumbs Up

I Have tried the 8m pivot huge fan, I was out on my 2014 9m park slightly under powered out of the gusts came in and swapped for a 8m pivot and had to pull an inch of depower amazing kite. felt the park boosted better but found the pivot so much better all round and that was only a 20min session on it. Anyone want to buy 2014 parks 9m 12m?

azza86
QLD, 57 posts
18 Dec 2014 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gtease said...
I Have tried the 8m pivot huge fan, I was out on my 2014 9m park slightly under powered out of the gusts came in and swapped for a 8m pivot and had to pull an inch of depower amazing kite. felt the park boosted better but found the pivot so much better all round and that was only a 20min session on it. Anyone want to buy 2014 parks 9m 12m?

Do u unhook?

gokid
QLD, 491 posts
19 Dec 2014 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wave6ft said..
On my pivot on the canopy towards the wings it seems there is a double layer of meterial stiched on.The problem seems water gets stuck between the layers and wont come out and wont dry out after a few hours even in the sun design fault I think

Yes thats no good,

Did you ask the Kiteshop you bought it from for advise

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2015 Naish Pivot 12m" started by thorn