23 Mar 2015 9:20PM
Thumbs Up

FA MK3 review

Rider: intermediate/advanced
Style: Foil
Build Quality: 10/10
Satisfaction: 10/10
Disclosure:Team rider for KFA

In this review I will be comparing the production KFA MK3 to the prototype KFA MK3 which I have spent the most time on and the Spotz 2 foil with race wings which I have had a few goes on.

The main difference between the production KFA MK3 and the prototype KFA MK3 is the longer fuselage of the production KFA, the male and female connect point of the rear wing of the production KFA rather than the cup and wing connector system as seen on previous KFA models. The last difference between the two models is the tail tracking fin on the prototype.
Let me start off by saying I absolutely love my prototype KFA MK3, its super stiff (mast double the stiffness than the Sword 1*), smooth and I can already do foiling gybes on it after a month, but I would much rather use a production KFA MK3, its smoother, more stable, easier to foil tack and foil gybe (I am so much closer at foil tacking with the production KFA rather than the prototype) due to the longer fuselage and what feels like less drag due to (what I think) is a better rear wing connection and no tail tracking fin (which does not work). A lot of racers will think that the longer fuselage is just extra drag, while yes there may be a little bit more drag(insignificant IMO), it is well worth it for the extra stability! Stacking 1 gybe will cost you more than a fraction of drag.

The international foil racing community at the moment thinks the Spotz2 with the “Nico wings” are the best, I however disagree. The production KFA MK3 has a stiffer mast, is better built, more stable and easier to tack and gybe.
When I lined up against a more experienced spotz2 rider both on 10m kites, I was able to point higher and go at similar speeds, while downwind I feel my lack of experience was the let down rather than the foil, thus the Spotz2 rider was able to point a tad lower than me at similar speeds. Something that was very interesting when I lined up against the Spotz2 rider was that I am much closer at performing foil tacks after my first 3 weeks on the KFA MK3 (both proto and production) than the Spotz 2 rider after having his foil for 6 months and now I can foil gybe (sometimes) and he cant, confirming my thoughts that the KFA MK3 is easy to tack and gybe on.

So summing up, the production KFA MK3 is a really nice foil, it was designed to be really easy and really fast and I think KFA absolutely nailed this.
*KFA measured 11mm deflection under 27 kgm of torque vs Sword 1 at 22mm of deflection under the exact same torque.

The production KFA MK3 are the three photos with the wood background, the prototype KFA MK3 is the 3 photos with the "outside background)

Kite247
NSW, 48 posts
24 Mar 2015 12:43AM
Thumbs Up

Great review!

I have recently purchased a KFA MK3 and couldn't be happier with the product, the build quality is awesome.
The foil feels so well balanced with even foot pressure and no mast cavitation.
I find it super easy to ride which gives you great confidence to try manoeuvres.
On my first session I was attempting foil tacks.

Keep up the good work boys!

Livit
WA, 542 posts
24 Mar 2015 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
waterlife said..
FA MK3 review

The international foil racing community at the moment thinks the Spotz2 with the “Nico wings” are the best, I however disagree. The production KFA MK3 has a stiffer mast, is better built, more stable and easier to tack and gybe.

Can you be more specific? What makes you think the built is better?

I think the results speak for themselves so we will see this season which one is the best.

I know Spotz has had some issues with some crabs appearing on the T bar, however it seems that they are handling the situation fairly well by replacing the affected items.

A friend of mine has a KFA MK1 on which the Tuttle is disintegrating. KFA said they would do something but they never did. I hope the construction has improved since because the customer didn't do anything about it.

Also, do you know why did they go back to a plate when all the other performance foils are going either SDT, DT or Pro Box?

Gtease
NSW, 12 posts
24 Mar 2015 2:14PM
Thumbs Up

I have the mk1 and would like to know the differences between mk1and mk3 is slower I understand and has more flex.

patto1987
NSW, 194 posts
24 Mar 2015 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

I'll start with I have a KFA3.. Now why did I spend my hard earned money on a KFA3 and not a Sword/Spotz etc??

Really it comes down to quality and what I expect to get out of my foiling experience.. I had more than 1 person who I know and trust say that while there sword2/spotz2 are really good (and lets be honest they are) they aren't the easiest to tack/gybe etc.. Which kind of put me off as I want easy to use.. while I'm sure with practise either would be fine..

Also I had a good look at a new spotz2 recently and I know a little bit about Carbon.. The carbon isn't pre-preg and it is made is two halves and glued together which I'm not saying is wrong but I've heard is leading to cracking and failure etc.. The KFA is made of solid pre preg carbon and autoclaved, and has a wicked smooth finish straight off the mould....

The final thing is the KFA is Australian made in Melbourne by Applied Composite Technologies who have made masts and parts for major maxi yachts etc.. So the quality and know how is there to make a top quality product for sure and you can support Aussie businesses at the same time rather than China/France etc.

About the plate, I think is a function of the Tema Vento boards having sliding channels and being a little thinner.. I'm sure they would do a tuttle if that's what you wanted for your foil..

I'm super happy with my KFA.. They also have a entry level foil about to come onto the market for those who don't want to spend the money on a full carbon race foil.

archie00
NSW, 137 posts
25 Mar 2015 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

Great to see a review. We need some more foil reviews on here, even if not so 'professional'- general impressions. Would be interested what models are in the country now?? Boards too?

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
25 Mar 2015 4:43PM
Thumbs Up

in perth we have a mk3 kfa , prob hald a dozen spotz 2's , a zeeko and a couple of LF foils that i can think of plus a bunch of awesome home made jobbies

patto1987
NSW, 194 posts
30 Mar 2015 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Had a few sessions on the KFA3 now.. Won't be long before I'll be foil tacking ninja style on the super fast and stable KFA3... It's almost as easy as this video makes it look!!

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
22 Apr 2015 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

KFA MK3 review

Rider: intermediate
Style: Unique
Quality: 10/10
Satisfaction: 10/10
Disclosure:Pay for my own stuff

So thought i would give an average joe's review of the MK3 KFA .

I have now had 3 sessions totalling about 4 hours on my MK3 kfa and custom temavento fatboy foil board. First few hours were spent tweaking footstrap and mast position and i think one of the main benefits of the track system on the board is coupled with 4 footstrap positions on the board, the ability to fine tune the foil for any weight/stance combo. Once this was dialed in it was all about adjusting from a raceboard to a foilboard . After many bunny hops and plenty of crashes i am now at the stage where i am able to do sustained long runs and point upwind and also do downwind runs . I myself haven't ridden any other foils so i cannot comment on what it rides compared to says a spotz2 or an lf or anything else but spotz2 riders have ridden mine and commented on its stability compared to the spotz2 as the spotz feel more twitchy .

The KFA pops out of the water with ease and at a low speed . Downwind runs are nice and stable and you really do feel locked in . Not even close to attempting tacks or gybes yet but so far i am very pleased with the foil/board combo . why did i chose this over a slightly cheaper foil like say a spotz ?? Well it's very simple . Locally made and local support . I know if i have an issue or break something i only have to send it to melbourne and not europe .

If you see me down on the sawn river come hit me up for a ride . We will also have a demo KFA MK3 very shortly for you to try .

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
4 Jun 2015 9:06AM
Thumbs Up

Here are some interesting insights of load testings Kitefoil Australia did during the design process to achieve the kite foil stiffest mast on the market.www.kitefoil.com.au/rd/

Livit
WA, 542 posts
4 Jun 2015 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
INTHELOOP said..
Here are some interesting insights of load testings Kitefoil Australia did during the design process to achieve the kite foil stiffest mast on the market.www.kitefoil.com.au/rd/

What is the thickness of the mast?

Total weight of the foil?

Leighbreeze
WA, 531 posts
5 Jun 2015 5:11AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Andy,Marvin getting very excited about kite foiling. Keen as to receive my gear from KFA.In regards to load Marvin,say for example if my wife who weighs about 25 Kgs less than me.Could she use my gear also by tweaking mast position and foot strap position.Understand also she would need smaller kite.Whats your thoughts.Regards Leigh & Belinda

polykarb
VIC, 283 posts
24 Nov 2015 12:36AM
Thumbs Up

Factors in wind speed and rider weight can also effect how you want to set up.

Having a board with track system makes it easy to make small adjustments once you find best strap positions.

Took a couple of sessions to find best locations for straps, because you want to find something that puts the foil in the middle of the tracks, that way you can make small track adjustments in either direction to suit conditions..

Ill also say its not critical when your just cruising around on a low aspect or slowly.
When going fast and applying more pressure back into the board setup becomes more important.

When everything is set up right you can go sooooo much faster and really crank into the wind.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2015 KFA MK3 Hydrofoil review" started by waterlife