Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2014 Cabrinha Vector

Created by Efilnikufesin > 9 months ago, 4 Jul 2014
Efilnikufesin
QLD, 135 posts
4 Jul 2014 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

To anyone who owns a 2014 vector, what's it like to use ? I was originally interested in buying one but went for a 14 draft cause that's what my local deals in . I am still curious about the vector however .Cheers

BigZ
170 posts
4 Jul 2014 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

I have 2014 14m Vector. The best 14m kite I have ever had. Works great on both a surfboard and TT. Light, stable, balanced and easy to fly. In the past, in 14m size, I had a couple of Switchblades, Slingshot Rally and LF Havoc. Vector May not be as high performance but it is just pure fun. Despite my 220 pounds it feels solid with great top end.

Efilnikufesin
QLD, 135 posts
4 Jul 2014 11:54PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Big Z! Appreciate the feedback , definitely a kite I want to aquire , the naish draft is a great kite but I want something I don't have to worry about every 5 seconds . Pretty gusty conditions where I kite , not one of the drafts favourite areas plus relaunch can be a bitch in light wind. I would hate to have to do a deep water relaunch in light wind cause it just drags you around and won't stand up, no matter how much you swim towards it or pull the steering line . I suppose a rear mounted light wind relaunch line would do it the world of good as the rear lines are centre mounted to the wing .

Efilnikufesin
QLD, 135 posts
21 Jul 2014 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

Got my 14 vector ! Couldn't be happier ! Well I guess I could but that's not a subject for this forum !

bdennis
1 posts
22 Jul 2014 3:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Efilnikufesin said..
Got my 14 vector ! Couldn't be happier ! Well I guess I could but that's not a subject for this forum !

Hey... I'm wondering if you can help me decide about a Vector. I need to replace my 12m. I weigh 150lbs. I'm looking at the Vector because there's a new one on ebay for a good price and I like Cabrinha quality. This would be my light wind kite which I want to be a good in the waves (as fast turning as possible, good drift, good relaunch, light). My local friend tells me I want a drifter, but I don't really understand why.
Also, I'm headed for Perth for 2.5 weeks in Nov/Dec, first time to Australia, can't wait!

bigtone667
NSW, 1502 posts
22 Jul 2014 8:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bdennis said..

Efilnikufesin said..

Hey... I'm wondering if you can help me decide about a Vector. I need to replace my 12m. I weigh 150lbs. I'm looking at the Vector because there's a new one on ebay for a good price and I like Cabrinha quality. This would be my light wind kite which I want to be a good in the waves (as fast turning as possible, good drift, good relaunch, light). My local friend tells me I want a drifter, but I don't really understand why.
Also, I'm headed for Perth for 2.5 weeks in Nov/Dec, first time to Australia, can't wait!

I just tore my 14 metre Vector in half on a tree (user error), and I am still shedding tears.

The Vector is good on both the flat and in the waves. Not super fast (compared to a 14m Griffin TRX) but awesomely solid and it does drift well.
I find the TRX seems to hunt the wind driving me forward as opposed to the Vector which seems to embrace the wind and sit in it really well.

My advice: buy it, you won't regret it.

Efilnikufesin
QLD, 135 posts
22 Jul 2014 8:45AM
Thumbs Up

I had the vector out in 10 to 15 knots yesterday , being a 14 m kite it was perfect for the conditions . It is a very stable kite with plenty of power , and turns very well with the 1X overdrive bar extended to full length . Also no pulleys on the bridles so it's very direct. I can't speak as to wave suitability as there is none where I kite . It's not the quickest kite in the world but it's very easy to use . The drifter is a dedicated wave kite I believe so it might pay to do a bit of research before you decide . Also I got my vector brand new complete and delivered for $1750 ,I think I've seen the kite you mean on EBay and I reckon if you shop around you could probably get a new one for nearly that price . Try kitepower !

bigtone667
NSW, 1502 posts
22 Jul 2014 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Efilnikufesin said..
I had the vector out in 10 to 15 knots yesterday , being a 14 m kite it was perfect for the conditions . It is a very stable kite with plenty of power , and turns very well with the 1X overdrive bar extended to full length . Also no pulleys on the bridles so it's very direct. I can't speak as to wave suitability as there is none where I kite . It's not the quickest kite in the world but it's very easy to use . The drifter is a dedicated wave kite I believe so it might pay to do a bit of research before you decide . Also I got my vector brand new complete and delivered for $1750 ,I think I've seen the kite you mean on EBay and I reckon if you shop around you could probably get a new one for nearly that price . Try kitepower !

I still have a Vector 12 and decided I would try a 14m slingshot RPM as a replacement (got a great price). The RPM is really nice, especially now that I am attempting to do powered jumps on my Nugget. The RPM is better than the Vector for jumps in my opinion, it just seems to get to twelve, push me into the air big time, and then drift with me down to a landing point.

But the Vector is still the most steady "safe" kite I have ever used (and I have used dyno's, fat ladies, griffins trx, cabrinha switchies, slingshot rally/rpm, BWS) ....

windtzu
93 posts
27 Jul 2014 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

I don't know if they've evolved since, but I had a first generation 2012 Vector. It was a good all around "progressive" kite, nothing exciting but did a little bit of everything well. Cons: weak power, slow turning (but a little quicker than my 2009 & 2011 Switchblades).
And yes, as someone else said, my Vector was a nice safe kite; liked it in the smaller sizes for high winds.

Later I demoed Airush Lithiums and North Rebels. These felt more dynamic, more alive, more power, and better overall performance. That being said, are the 014 Vectors a different kite?

Efilnikufesin
QLD, 135 posts
28 Jul 2014 12:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windtzu said...
I don't know if they've evolved since, but I had a first generation 2012 Vector. It was a good all around "progressive" kite, nothing exciting but did a little bit of everything well. Cons: weak power, slow turning (but a little quicker than my 2009 & 2011 Switchblades).
And yes, as someone else said, my Vector was a nice safe kite; liked it in the smaller sizes for high winds.

Later I demoed Airush Lithiums and North Rebels. These felt more dynamic, more alive, more power, and better overall performance. That being said, are the 014 Vectors a different kite?

The 2014 vectors don't have pulley's on the bridles hence it turns a lot quicker than my old switchy's at any rate . Nice and stable though ( safe ) as you put it !

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2014 Cabrinha Vector" started by Efilnikufesin