Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2013 Xenon LALUZ 132

Created by eppo > 9 months ago, 5 Jun 2013
eppo
WA, 9372 posts
5 Jun 2013 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: eppo - Given what strapless surf board riders are doing, I'm a bloody beginner!
Style: Freeriding, Surf
Weather: 14-20
Build Quality: 10/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Disclosure: Eppo team rider

My Comments:

Marvin (in the loop) sent over a 132 Laluz 2013 to ride; a big thankyou obviously.

Every now and then a board comes along that has a strong correlation between the marketers Blurb, the sellers pimp, the pro-riders ?focus? and the average Joe?s reviews. Also add in many personal emails to Laluz riders. The consistent message includes:

1.?A simplistic, elegant, minimalist, high quality design and build.

2.?Dynamic, yet easy to generate, excellent (some say explosive but don?t they all!) pop.

3.?The board offers soft and predictable riding and landings through reasonable progressive flex and rocker.

4.?Excellent control, grip, upwind and early planning potential.

5.?A Very light board and yet construction strong (Two year warranty).

So in summary this simple shaped board it seems, offers great potential for freestyle and yet has enough comfort to afford free-riders an decent option. Well that?s how I see it. There has been some decent reviews already even on this forum so I needn't rehash old ground. Rather, just like to offer my personal experience with this board; the aspects that stood out for me.

Putting this board together (I took my time as had stressed a collateral ligament in my knee) what was very obvious is the attention to detail. This board has a very high quality build, arguably one of the best I?ve come across so far. You know, even the screw inserts were easy, aligned perfectly ? I know this sounds minimal but those who have had a lot of boards in their time will get it. No imperfections on the rails, pads, straps and fins?just felt, smelt and looked like it was made in Europe rather than?well other places. Intangible, but real nevertheless.

Standing back it really is an exquisite looking board; such a simple shape and design. Kind of classy, sophisticated for want of a better word, rather than the ?Look at me? boards ? obvious and crude. (I don?t really give a sh1t about looks in general, but hey this is what I noticed. Even if the board?s graphics looked like a Sumo wrestler had just heaved their KFC dinner on it and it rode well, I?d ride it!).

On the water: As I have said before, plenty of reviews already on the laluz over the years. They have just made it a little stiffer through the core by the clever use of carbon. So I?m not going to bang on about it a great deal, honestly the reviews all point to the same conclusions. But I can confirm that the correlation between what all the parties proclaim and how it felt for me, was strong. Probably near a coefficient of 0.95.

Some finer distinctions maybe: Unlike some TT?s (as I have ridden it on the ocean and on the flat, on a 10m edge and a 17m zephyr in different conditions), this board offers a large interplay between the rail and fin engagement. A lot of specific freestyle TT?s I have ridden, demand a very specific balance between edging (back and front foot pressure) and the slight effect of the finnage.

What I mean is with some boards, when you are going along, it may feel a little squirrelly, so you adjust and then?'ah there it is' and on the rails it goes. Nice. But when freeriding in the ocean, you got to have a greater margin; it needs to ride well from a flat stance all the way over to full blown heels in, d1ck in the air, tongue hanging out stuff. Obviously flex profiles, outlines and rocker all are chucked in the mix to infer this ability.

The Laluz seems to have gained a great balance between giving a decent range on this railing/fin/foot pressure (the other extreme is say my mako, which you can ride anywhere you want in that spectrum?but it?s a pig (well not entirely but comparatively) to load and boost ? yep don?t care what anyone says, it?s not built to boost, so get over it ? it sh1ts on anything I?ve ridden for carving though) and yet the laluz affords enough crisp feedback to really load, time the tensioning of the lines and pop.

Remember I?m an ocean addict really, so I got to be able to load, throw and boost within a small time frame given a waves or chop swell line?and I have some high aspect kites driving me at a decent speed. Timing is everything with aspect driving you.

So you seem to be able to progressively put different amounts of back foot pressure and she still rides really well, progressive grip if you like. Hence you can afford to pop from anywhere along that back foot pressure gradient. It doesn't demand you take a certain line, which is okay on flat water with extreme freestyle boards.

So a great interplay of carving ability and yet freestyle potential.

So that?s all I have to say really, as I?m not going to repeat what has been consistently reported from various parties.
This a damn fine board, built at the highest quality, very light (not as light as a full carbon board, but close enough) and you couldn't go wrong using it for freeride or freestyle and definitely for a mixture of both. Would suite a lot of people as not all of us can or want to (I?m the former) bang out super-duper unhooked smash ya knees freestyle. Nice, nice, very nice.

Love trying new stuff, don?t you!!

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
5 Jun 2013 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

Please excuse all the question marks, did this review on word and when I cut and pasted it in all the punctuation was converted to question marks. Does anyone know how to switch off this stupid editor? can't stand it!

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
6 Jun 2013 9:01AM
Thumbs Up

The one thing that striked me about the La Luz was how beautiful and simple (elegant) the design and graphics are. From a distance it really doesn't look like much. But up close it is all class. Mine is last years model, so I can't compare to this year, but I bet I can get several more seasons out of this one for sure. I actually don't ride the tt much any more except in westerlies in flat water, but everything that has been said about smoothness and pop I have found to be correct. Great on my knees, no splash in the face, and yes, it's very light. I think this board would suit most riders.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
6 Jun 2013 7:47AM
Thumbs Up

You are right Dafish I did notice how dry this board is for a square tipped TT. I suppose the stand out characteristic for me was how easy it was to load and pop. Against the pull of a 17m even in chop was I going real vertical. God I love that Zephyr in the teens!

What do you ride now?

WA, 1255 posts
6 Jun 2013 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

Please excuse all the question marks, did this review on word and when I cut and pasted it in all the punctuation was converted to question marks. Does anyone know how to switch off this stupid editor? can't stand it!

by pressing the "plain text editor" tab (?)

well thats what worked for me, it refreshes the page then have to hit reply again to be in plain text editor

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
6 Jun 2013 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

Ta yes very obvious to change...der

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
6 Jun 2013 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Eppo,
mainly ride my surfboards...been hammering the Xenon Prisma and a new one is on it's way here. Funny, I was just in Maui a few weeks ago and all I rode was my thruster (Vidra). Both boards perform really well. Cant wait to try the new Prisma, it comes with five fin slots so I can ride it both ways, although I suspect it will always remain the quad in my quiver...won't really know until I try it.
Back to the La Luz, I would ride it more if all I had was flat water. But I prefer waves and will always chase that first. Every time I do get on the tt though I really enjoy it. I don't get bored. It just doesn't happen often.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
6 Jun 2013 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh wish we had enough waves to justify that here. Still crew go the SBs in a big way. I presume their SBs are of a high quality in build and performance?

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
6 Jun 2013 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

Performance is A+, I had a few little issues with builds but they stood behind their product and sorted me out. I think they actually listened to my comments and made changes. These boards do rip though, very satisfied. I jump them alot and they hold up unreal in that regard. What I like most is that they have a nice surfboard flex, where others I have tried did not. Generally speaking I am stoked.

4JLPPC
NSW, 6 posts
8 Jun 2013 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

Yeh wish we had enough waves to justify that here. Still crew go the SBs in a big way. I presume their SBs are of a high quality in build and performance?

Select to expand quote
default said..

eppo said..

by pressing the "plain text editor" tab (?)

well thats what worked for me, it refreshes the page then have to hit reply again to be in plain text editor

Hi eppo
What are the main differences between the MONK and the LALUZ. I have read your previous MONK review BUT I am still not sure what the major differences are.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
8 Jun 2013 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

Quite a bit actually. The monk is designed to be ridden flat out. Anything less and you will wonder why you bought it (my opinion of course). the monk is really designed for flat out freeriding and the feedback from the board is from my view a little fuzzy. The only time it is not fuzzy is when you are fully loaded up at high speeds and have that rail dug in for dear life. But overall the monk is smoother through the chop. You can't have it all. The laluz is stiffer through the core and has squarer tips. Bit this affords much better feedback at all speeds and the ability to load, throw and pop, boost is chalk and cheese and kills the monk by a long way.

But to me the laluz is still comfortable enough but gives much more back in what is described above. Foot straps are better (never liked the shinn straps and pads) and a much classier build.

Better to compare the laluz with the supershinn or even the street maybe. The monk is designed for a very different purpose. Didn't agree with me but it has with many riders. Each person eventually finds their niche board.

Another board worth considering also is the crazy fly raptor pro ltd. full carbon it is an exquisite board and a brilliant ride and closer to the monk is design and performance. My bro has one now and I'm getting on it as much as possible to get my head around it. Bro likes it much bette than the monk but I gotta get it out in nukin conditions to really make a judgement.

4JLPPC
NSW, 6 posts
8 Jun 2013 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

Eppo I was out last weekend 22+ to 35 kn (approx) on a 7. As a rule I try to go ut in all conditions, providing I have a safety plan, and I am familiar with the weather conditions. Usually like to have at least 1 0r 2 other kiters around, BUT have kited in the surf as you do on my own a few times. As you know this time of the year its all about the fronts and storms. Anyway during the gusts I had trouble some times controlling my speed, BUT I love going fast, I just want more control, and I probably would like to ride faster, but it's wierd on a TT, controling my speed once you get over a certain speed (level of comfort).Possibly my TT is too big for these conditions 136 X 41?

I was thinking the MONK 132 X 41 or the Dundee II, (131 or 133) would possibly, be the answer for controlling this speed and doing some fun carves in these types of conditions. I want a TT for when its nuking that I can push speed wise, that I can just go out on and not have to hold back, & still play around if you know what I mean. Ocasionally I take it out in the waves. But I still want that feel so I can practice the more technical stuff, or it can start to get boring. I also own a Xenon Infra 2011 136, which I use when it's not so choppy. Its a great board but not so comfy in the chop. I want to also start doing some more basic free style stuff, not doing back rolls yet, BUT will be soon. My current TT is fun, but when its nuking I feel that it is more on its limit, BUT it might just be too big?. I like the extra surface area for toe side. Ive tried a few types, and I do not think its the TT because I have experienced this many times. So I was thinking of possibly replacing it with one of these boards. I'm based in Sydney so I don't think I will be able to demo the Shinn or the Laluz, which is why I asked you for your opinion.

By the way, I enjoy reading your post's. I hope the knee is on the mend. For us its a fine line between pushing it to self preservation. Still sounds like your doing OK in WA & getting out during the week in autumn; Winter now, may be more challenging. I weigh 75 pies. Love boosting big and now toying with surfboard & skim, (surfing background 30 + years), only get to kite weekends, once daylight saving finished. When I started kite surfing my goal was to learn to boost; Than just SB; But I really like the feel of the TT, especially being able to go BOTH ways; It took me a whole season to get comfortable in my natural stance as I am a goofy. Have been kiting for 4 seasons now. Starting to experiment more. Enjoyed your Maco Posts. Did your Bro find his board? When I lost mine I was shattered. Just couldn't believe how it happened and that it happened. 17 Zephyr ah..... Arr.. the aventures of eppo. A teenager trapped in a mans body. Please continue to keep us entertained.............. & thanks; Appreciate your comments.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
8 Jun 2013 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

Wow a lot in that post.

Well the knee isn't so good after today, but manageable. Still no sign of my bros board, but he's now on a crazy fly raptor pro ltd, full carbon thingy 136 by 41 and is super stoked. As I said I'm trying to get on the beast some more but wind is far and few between!

Also the zephyr has been my big find for the year, it is such an awesome kite. Let me mate borrow it today on his north nugget (he's had a rough trot and I reluctantly gave it up) and he's 85 ish in 10 to 13 and he had a ball.

4 seasons, yeh that's about the point you will start really exploring the other facets kiting offers, awesome. Shame you only get the weekends, you gotta do something about that!!

Now the infra and at that size, is really moving into a freestyle setup so its no wonder the chop is becoming a handful at high speeds. So your experiences make sense. Also the size given your weight, although you said you were on a 7. But even near 30 you'd be lit of your nuts I suppose.

Now, everything is a compromise man. The monk can hold the most enormous edge at stay comfortable at the same time. But it won't pop anywhere near the same as the infra and hence the laluz. Don't get me wrong you can still load and boost on the monk but the feedback to the rider is not as obvious. Also one thing about the laluz is the feedback is very precise throughout increasing the edge and back foot pressure. Gives you a great deal of control in terms of how hard you have to tension those lines given what chop you have in front of you.
Their is immediate and real feel as you increase the load on the edge. With the monk I was always trying to almost second guess if I had the correct loading. But this provides comfort, so as I said there is a compromise.

But riding at intense speeds then you would have to consider the monk, but be aware what you will be sacrificing. Feedback and control as you move into some more adventurous moves.

The Dundee does offer more feedback in that sense, but you won't be able to ride this board as fast as the monk. Its a more tactile board, but really in my opinion is a great board for intermediate speeds and free riding in the ocean, especially in waves. Others might disagree I can only say what I've experienced.

Then there is the street or the supershinn (although standard 35mm fins in the ocean...nah). The very BEST. Person to speak to about the shinn range is Mike birt. You will find him in the kiteforum, also on the ukkiteboarder forum, or just google his name with shinn and/or Airush. I've yet to come across someone who understands this range better or can explain the differences. He's the man on this not me.

Larger boards in the same range will be more comfortable flex wise. Hence I'd say the ideal laluz would be a 135. More even flex properties working through the length of the board. But we are only 75kg!! For the first time wish I was a bit heavier! The laluz would be a safer option, given you understand the xenon feel. If I couldn't demo then this would be on the top of my list. Just a greater degree of risk in buying a shinn Untried. The range has a very different feel. Me give me the xenon anyday now. But that's where I'm at right now.

But there is another...that crazy fly carbon board is something else! Been on the 136, want to try the stiffer 132. You think the laluz is light (and compared the the shinn range it is!) wait to you try this one! I in my uneducated state considered crazy fly made average to okay kites and the same with their boards. Well I was wrong, these again European constructed boards are something else. Not sure why more aren't on them hey? Read up on this company, I did and was pleasantly surprised.

The raptor so far with my experimentation sits somewhere betweenthe monk and the laluz. This carbon board contours to the thinnest tips I have ever seen, and yet they are really strong and have medium flex in them. Man I thought this thing would flap all over the joint with those ultra thin tips, but no, they have done some magic with the carbon here. Built like the monk with free riding firmly in the centre of their sphere but also with some freestyle in mind to. So you have a very comfortable board in the ocean and yet enough feedback to load and pop. But wasn't as easy as the laluz. Again this was a 136 by 41 though, I want to see what the 132 which is stiffer across the smaller length is like.

Can you get a ride on one of these in Sydney? I would if I was you.

All three boards mentioned (well ranges) are great boards, but in 25 to 35 at your weight you gotta think about a 132 man. Freestylers love longer, wider boards, man most of them ride 140 lengths and above, but you want to freeride, this changes the game a bit in terms of board selection at your weight.

Lastly good to see you branching out into skim and SB work, I love doing this to, but always glad to get back on my TTs and go big again!

4JLPPC
NSW, 6 posts
9 Jun 2013 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

Your a gun Eppo. Will try the Raptor and let you know how I go. In the mean time let us know how you go on the 132. Appreciate the info. I reckon you should start a kite demo business because your very articulate in describing those experiences. ....Yeh..... the weekend thing sucks BUT the wife & kids make it all good. Start of Ski season here, so something more to look forward to, in the winter months, once the white stuff falls. Thanks again.......

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
9 Jun 2013 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

Yeh snow season is starting here to.....

Demo business you say, lol.... Just happy to add my views into the quagmire of opinions out there, make sure you get feedback from a range of sources to put the puzzle together.

Yeh let us know what your call is on the raptor, try and get on the carbon version! In my opinion there are some excellent boards out there that deserve more attention than they get.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2013 Xenon LALUZ 132" started by eppo