Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2012 Underground SRF 148

Created by bermand > 9 months ago, 6 Feb 2012
bermand
WA, 247 posts
6 Feb 2012 12:16AM
Thumbs Up

Rider: Weight 80kg ,Level (intermediate,advanced)
Style: Freeriding, Surf,
Weather: 20-25 knots, 2.3m swell reef break
Kite: Cabrinha drifter 7m, on strongest setting
Build Quality: 9/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Disclosure: (e.g. Buy my own gear, too much of it)

My Comments:
Have been on surfboards strapped in waves for last two years, prior to that on surf orientated twin tips/mutants etc. Am very comfortable on surfboard i.e toeside both ways, make 95% of my gybes.
I have kept a custom oups twintip waveboard made by Marc Gondard, that is excellent in super strong wind and larger waves.

Having travelled a bit, and intending to do some more I wanted the option of a more portable board.
This board fits nicely in a 150cm travel quiver bag.

It comes standard with 3 wave fins on each side, I changed my non riding side to two 50cm twintip fins.

The board is easily on plane as expected. It does not feel it's size perhaps due to tapered ends. It is super stable, comfortable to ride, eats chop and sticks to the water.Going upwind is amazing, this is really important feature for any reef break particuarly on light wind days.

Its edges are quite rounded and this gives great turning ability allowing the rider to position them self close to the lip of the wave. Despite it's size this board does not easily get pulled off waves. I was quite surprised especially given the wind conditions.

I have ridden it at Dutch Inn in light wind and again did not dissapoint. It will easily get going as well as a surf board in the light stuff.

To me this is the closest I have felt to a surfboard feel on a twintip.
If you are just getting into waves, want an option for travel or just want to jump as well as ride, you can't go past this board. As a one board option the 140 by 40 maybe more versatile.

Flying High
NSW, 217 posts
6 Feb 2012 9:18AM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone compared the SRF against a Cardboard Wave

It appears a similar concept, I found the wave felt a bit large for a twin tip, great upwind, good through chop etc. it probably didn't carve as well as I expected but still good (i had to play around with the foot pad placement but havent experimented with the fin set up. ie standard thruster set up rear with the standard twin tip fins up front.) In fairness it is a style of mutant not a twin tip

I am thinking the 140 SRF would be a pretty good but may be power hungry.
(always a compromise)

Does anyone have demos in Sydney

bermand
WA, 247 posts
6 Feb 2012 8:04AM
Thumbs Up

You can ride the SRF as either twintip or mutant. I have chosen to have pads and straps as twintip. I merely changed fins. The fin holes are symmetrical on each side. In fact whole setup is symmetrical hence why I called it twintip. You could set it up as a mutant. Then you will lose some upwind ability on the non riding side. I have not tried the 140 but still think it will go okay in lighter wind as it's quite wide 40 or 41. All depends on kite size, I have used it with an 11 and 7 and was pleased with both results. You must however play around with fin setup.

10 Feb 2012 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

Flying High said...

Has anyone compared the SRF against a Cardboard Wave

It appears a similar concept, I found the wave felt a bit large for a twin tip, great upwind, good through chop etc. it probably didn't carve as well as I expected but still good (i had to play around with the foot pad placement but havent experimented with the fin set up. ie standard thruster set up rear with the standard twin tip fins up front.) In fairness it is a style of mutant not a twin tip

I am thinking the 140 SRF would be a pretty good but may be power hungry.
(always a compromise)

Does anyone have demos in Sydney

We have the Underground 1.40 SRF in demo.

jacinto
WA, 8 posts
10 Feb 2012 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

Cardboards good boards but frustrating website not updated for a while!

rusty7
QLD, 504 posts
13 Feb 2012 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

I ride the 140, weigh in at 95 kilos. I use a 13m edge and a 9m edge... i love this board. Use it in all conditions including powered up.(9m, 30 plus knots) don't even take my beloved Haura to the beach anymore. I now have the 3 fin set up on it. Does everything fine except pop. Still able to pull big airs ... lands well, really fun on the waves...goes up wind better than anything else i have used... and I dont find it Power hungry.
Gets me going in about 10 - 12knots on the 13m Edge. Amazingly smooth in the chop and almost no splash in the face. Tried the 148 for about 1/2 hour went back to the 140 decision made 140mm. Love this board.

bermand
WA, 247 posts
14 Feb 2012 12:55PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Rusty, what fins are you using? What size and have you
Experimented with slightly smaller fins on wave riding side?

rusty7
QLD, 504 posts
14 Feb 2012 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

Bermand I got 60mm fins on the corners and 70 mm in the middle ....I tried standard underground 50 mm fins and various mixtures of all of them and the fins. To be honest the 3 surf fin setup works the best.... I have commented on pop before and the lack of it but today the wind was around 17 knots I was riding a 13 m edge. Was able to pull some nice backrolls on relatively flat water .. Had to use different technique but end result the same..
I Think Enough time and practice you can get any board to do nearly anything.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2012 Underground SRF 148" started by bermand