Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2011 cardboard tempo vs 2011 underground styx

Created by sonya rachel > 9 months ago, 12 Feb 2012
sonya rachel
WA, 84 posts
12 Feb 2012 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

am looking at a 132.
int/ adv rider mostly freestyle unhooked some oldschool stuff.
flat to slight chop water riding.

ta

pro merc
NSW, 300 posts
13 Feb 2012 2:31PM
Thumbs Up

sonya i have ridden both and the tempo is a much better board, the only thing that would let it down is if you have small feet. the 2011 straps dont go down very small.

giBiLatoR
QLD, 147 posts
13 Feb 2012 2:14PM
Thumbs Up

pro merc said...

sonya i have ridden both and the tempo is a much better board, the only thing that would let it down is if you have small feet. the 2011 straps dont go down very small.

and straps are cheap so ask how much it would cost to swap out for either the 2012 bindings (which do clamp down a lot harder) or just look at a set of sync's or whatever you like =]

ScarbsSUP
WA, 354 posts
Site Sponsor
13 Feb 2012 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

Agreed ^^^^^

I think the Styx was a bit uncompomising in it's feel, very stiff and too flat rocker.

I own and prefer the Cardboard Tempo. First board I have bought personally for my own use in 9 years. Loved it since the day I first demo'd it, then rang and ordered one in custom graphix.

DM

giBiLatoR
QLD, 147 posts
13 Feb 2012 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

As well might look at getting the size up if you end up going for the tempo, honestly never ridden either, just know you need a bigger board for your wakestyle boards. I ride the steeze in 137 (@ 65kgs dripping) and finding its the perfect size. Where as comparatively my other boards is a 130x39 F-One Acid which I can actually use in lighter conditions...

sonya rachel
WA, 84 posts
13 Feb 2012 3:31PM
Thumbs Up

ScarbsSUP said...

Agreed ^^^^^

I think the Styx was a bit uncompomising in it's feel, very stiff and too flat rocker.

I own and prefer the Cardboard Tempo. First board I have bought personally for my own use in 9 years. Loved it since the day I first demo'd it, then rang and ordered one in custom graphix.

DM

my mate has a 2011 styx and its veeeery flexy!!! i was a bit worried that the tempo might be heavier and too stiff?? im used to lighter flexy boards.

i have got a pair of syncs already, they're excellent!!

CRUZIN
WA, 55 posts
13 Feb 2012 5:32PM
Thumbs Up

Have not ridden tempo, but own two styx ( 132,148) plenty of flex, very light, use them in all conditions, great all round boards,

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
13 Feb 2012 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Both good boards. Demo them both and see what you prefer.

benchy
QLD, 60 posts
15 Feb 2012 9:40AM
Thumbs Up

Haven't tried the tempo but demoed the Carboard FX and the Underground Styx.
I went with the Styx and am very happy with the decision, in my intermediate hands I found the Cardboard FX a bit to stiff and a little heavy when comparing to the Styx.

phill472
NSW, 22 posts
15 Feb 2012 11:32AM
Thumbs Up

The Tempo is Cardboards most popular board and the 2012 model is easily the best board I've ever ridden. Much more forgiving then the fX : super smooth through chop, but still with a huge amount of pop for launching large and importantly (for me anyway) very forgiving and gentle on the landings - much more so then the Cardbaord FX. Can't comment on the styx - gave up on Underground boards after being let down regularly. As others have mentioned, your better off getting hold of either the 2012 CB bindings or using your Synchs.

This of course is just my 2 cents, always best to give both a ride and see how it feels for yourself it possible. Good Luck!

DC23
WA, 25 posts
16 Feb 2012 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

I Love my CB Tempo.
Suprisingly good in the chop for a freestyle board.
very forgiving on landings

well worth the demo
Jason at West oz in safety bay and i think AKS in Scarbs have them.

CRUZIN
WA, 55 posts
16 Feb 2012 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Isn't tempo a wake style board?
Styx is not wake style

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2011 cardboard tempo vs 2011 underground styx" started by sonya rachel