Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2011 Underground Crypt

Created by jt737 > 9 months ago, 28 Nov 2010
jt737
QLD, 418 posts
28 Nov 2010 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Looking for riders opinions on the new Crypt board, specially is the board fast, comfortable to ride in chop and little to no spray in eyes?
Are the new straps comfortable?
Thanks

Rhys McClintock
NSW, 995 posts
29 Nov 2010 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

I've spent a bit of time on the 132 Crypt lately... I weigh 70kgs or so... and I sell them - but i sell lots of things.

It's certainly a different feel to the Styx or FLX - I found it to be REALLY crisp due to the stiffer flex and super quick rebound rate through the whole board.

Normally the Underground boards have a bit of a mushy feel because of the deep channels over the center of the board - but the Crypt feels the opposite... It's fast, lively and you get a really positive feel through the pads.

It isn't as nice in the chop as a Styx or FLX - it gets a bit of a bounce up. It's a stiff board with wide tips - you should expect it... She's still better than a flat bottomed board though - and we get hellish chop here.

Pop is just ridiculous - I had this with an 8m 2011 C4 last week and it just boots you into the air. Stick the kite low and you've got about 10 hours worth of slack to pass the bar.

Pads and straps are nice - Comfy, simple - no laces to slip and they look good with the 3 tone colour scheme. Small improvement over last years... Huge improvement from 2009.

I didn't notice the spray - it's got an assymetical cut on the tips - not that it does anything, but it does look cool. The rails seem a tad more rounded than the older models...

Although it's carbon - it's not that much lighter than a Styx. The Crypt uses carbon for performance advantage rather than weight loss. I like it, boards are light enough already...

I think it's worth the extra $250 to upgrade from a Styx - and for $1200 it's not that expensive compared to many other brands out there...

Make sure you buy a boardbag to keep it looking sexy! That gloss clearcoat with metallic print over the top looks sweeeeeet!

jt737
QLD, 418 posts
29 Nov 2010 11:19AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Rhys. Appreciate the feedback from someone who by riding most brands can compare them objectively. Hope to give one a ride soon.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2011 Underground Crypt" started by jt737