17 Oct 2009 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: Weight 90 k,Level intermediate
Style: Freeriding, SurfWeather: 16 knots
Build Quality: 9/10
Satisfaction: 10/10
Disclosure: i love my wife

My Comments:
Got the chance to demo the 2010 wainman in conjunction with the wainman latest surfboard release. To be fair, the kite was tested in pretty marginal conditions but I loved it .

so much so ive placed a order for the 9 and 7 meter will give a more comprehensive review when ive had the gear out in better conditions

The surfboard is just mad some of the crew down at the point claimed it as one of the best looking kite surfboards that they had seen after the session went straight back the shop and forked out the coin she’s now all mine !!

Thanks to Alex at stonker in Torquay for a great deal

fattso
VIC, 169 posts
18 Oct 2009 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Dazza,

board looks sweet, I saw you out at the point and looked like you were having a blast.

I was just wondering........Is it a thruster or quad setup? What size did you test/get? How'd you find the straps after riding on your predators?

finally, can I borrow your board while your away?

coastalkombi
VIC, 93 posts
18 Oct 2009 8:55PM
Thumbs Up

fatts its the 6 1 thruster set up real clean lines just a simple shape that as soon as you see it it looks like it will work and it does

i know i was always a fan of the predator straps I didn’t feel as this set would rock my world but I was really stoked at how good it works for me

I had been thinking about heading away from straps at all but not now each to there own though but if strapless is your thing or you change your mind you just remove them.

id bet this will perform ether way .

I was a bit of a sceptic when it came to dedicated kite surf boards but im really happy that I had the chance to demo one

ps happy for you to jump on her while im out of the country drop by and pick her up

monte
VIC, 23 posts
20 Oct 2009 10:11PM
Thumbs Up

....just wondering
...what do you think the low end might be for this combination wilf?

arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
21 Oct 2009 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

used my new 9m yesterday in 22 to 28knts, on surf board....absolute bliss....this thing loves waves...oops green arrows..got to go..gonna use the 7 today

hilly
WA, 6602 posts
21 Oct 2009 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

monte said...

....just wondering
...what do you think the low end might be for this combination wilf?

That would depend how heavy you are.

I have the Smoke and a 6 2 surfboard at 105kg I get going well at about 18 knots. About 20 is the sweet spot over 25 down the line wave riding is uncomfortable. That's why they make the Gypsy(6.5m) which is a gem.

Longer lines will help with bottom end they come with 22m.

I use 25m on light days with the Boss and it makes a huge difference. Have not tried with the Smoke but I am sure the result would be the same.

coastalkombi
VIC, 93 posts
21 Oct 2009 3:59PM
Thumbs Up

mon

like hilly I need it around 18 to really have fun above that is better but below that at my weight just is boring and may end up with a paddle in like last night

Sasha
VIC, 103 posts
22 Oct 2009 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

Hi FAV.
U R welcome to try my new 5'8 ( bat tail) takoon board as well, goes well, light so should be good for jumps ( i know u like doing it on the way out.

Alex.

Sasha
VIC, 103 posts
22 Oct 2009 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Rob,
9 m and 6' surfborad should get u going in 14 knt if u r around 80kg.

Surfer62
1357 posts
22 Oct 2009 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

Sasha said...

Hi FAV.
U R welcome to try my new 5'8 ( bat tail) takoon board as well, goes well, light so should be good for jumps ( i know u like doing it on the way out.

Alex.

This is a great love story, Sasha loves Fattso I bet he likes it on the way in too Fattso does have a nice bat tail too.

monte
VIC, 23 posts
4 Nov 2009 12:22PM
Thumbs Up

thanks for the info
I was at cape bridgewater on the weekend watching my windmeter hover around 10kn for an hour. I decided to pump up and hope for the best..suprisingly the 9m wainman smoke was the perfect kite for the conditions for me. It flew upwind really well and had no problems flying in the marginal 10-12 kn conditions. Im 65kg and I was on a 130cm tt.
I was considering getting the 12m before, but not after that session.
It was my second go with the wainman, the other was in around 18kn and it performed really well. Nice even power, similar to my sonic 8m.
It going to replace my 11m and 8m sonics and I may look at a 5m or 7m for when its over 25 -30kn,but ill see what the 9m is like in 30kn for me first.
cheers,
Monte.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2010 wainman 9 m and 6 1 surboard" started by coastalkombi