QLD, 159 posts
20 Dec 2009 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone had a strap on one of these??

waxman
SA, 1390 posts
20 Dec 2009 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

I have had one out and i really liked it but wouldnt trade the bandit 3 in for it as i like the unhooked feel of the bandit this year. But saying that the smoke is a great kite verry powerfull for its size and verry smooth and light on the bar it absolutly just ate gusts you hardly felt them. It boosted really high and floated really well. There are some tuning options on the kite that will make the kite fly the way you want but i never really had a chance to try them out. I wasnt a big fan of the depower strap as it is a little skinny and can be hard to grab when you need it but im sure that you could replace it with some thicker roap as the cleat is around the same size as the bandits.

Its a verry blingy kite with a lot of querky tags on it pointing out things like the back of the bar has danger on it so you know it is the wrong way around. And it comes with one of the most extensive spares kit i have ever seen. I wouldnt recomend the kite to a beginer but if you are a intermediate ridder that wants a good kite for freestyle or waves i would be worth giving one a demo.

KB7
NSW, 75 posts
21 Dec 2009 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

I've had my 9M 2010 out around a dozen times in 15 - 25 Knots and played around with all the settings.

There are so many options it seems overkill but they make the kite work a little differently. The front lines have three positions upwind, mid, and downwind. In the downwind position the kite turns much quicker and sits back in the window with an almost draggy very powerful feel. In the upwind setting it drives forward too much for my liking. I've ended up leaving them in the mid setting except when doing a long down winder. It only takes a few seconds to switch. ive left the back lines on the fastest setting. There is a no bridle direct connection option which makes it fly more like a C kite.

The bar is quite basic with a good plastic covered chicken loop. I ride with the suicide leash option then clip into the front line flagging loop when landing and launching. This is okay for experienced riders but not beginners.
There is an option to run a line though the bar directly to one of the front lines but still nowhere near as good as the better bars like the new North or Slingshot. You also have a 22m and 15m line options.

I think these Kites suit experience/intermediate riders looking to tune their gear to their riding style.

The low aspect ratio works great for wave riding. The biggest single difference I've experienced is the constant power though the turns. Most of the time here we are riding in less than perfect cross on conditions which require the kite to be turned fast through the window. The Wainman 9m and 7m are very fast I never get ahead of them.

All I can say is give these kites a go if you like wave riding.

JR

mantis5
QLD, 159 posts
21 Dec 2009 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

thanks for the comments. Very helpful and well recieved.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2010 Wainman Smoke 9mtr" started by mantis5